• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

depression

pmkmrm

hi everyone
can i ask
i take antidepressants mainly for anxiety.
i am not a quivering reck but do need my tablets otherwise anxiety rules so to speack.
my question is if you have a history of mental health or are currently taking antidepreesants does this mean you automatically have to go for a psych evaluation before your op? i am still waitng for my initial appointment.
if yes what do they asked you? do they have the power to get the op refused?
thank you
love
kate xx

Hi Kate
I dont know but someone will. Hope you find out, didn't want to read and run

Ali

I never had one but I am sure that if your surgeon agrees surgery will help you he will over rule the assessment....I think (but dont quote me) its more about how you will cope with the changes surgery will bring...but I am sure there will be others along to give more advice than I can....dont worry though chick it's not one strike and your out...xx

hi everyone
can i ask
i am not a quivering reck but do need my tablets otherwise anxiety rules so to speack.
my question is if you have a history of mental health or are currently taking antidepreesants does this mean you automatically have to go for a psych evaluation before your op? i am still waitng for my initial appointment.
thank you
love
kate xx

I don't know about automatically, but I have just seen the psyche at Walsall Manor Hospital, Dr. David Kendrick.

Basically, their job is to assess whether you are psychologically prepared for the journey - not just the op and immediately afterwards - but 3-4 years down the lin which is when he says is the most 'crucal' point in the journey, as it is when weight loss stops or stabilizes long term and people start to panic or revert to old eating habits.

They do have the responsibility of halting the process if the patient does not convince them that they are indeed, prepared for the journey.

They also support post-op. Well, Dr. Kendrick does.

Don't worry about it too much, just be honest; I was and I have a whole raft of previous mental health issues. I'm on the happy pills right now nd I am scheduled for bypass this coming Wednesday!

I hope this helps. Good luck :hug99:

I'm on anti-depressants and I never had to see psych, I have however asked to be refered since the op though, so it perhaps is'nt such a bad thing if you do have to go, cuz it can only benefit you.

I'm on anti-depressants and I never had to see psych, I have however asked to be refered since the op though, so it perhaps is'nt such a bad thing if you do have to go, cuz it can only benefit you.

Allie,

I really recommend seeing him. I think *all* bariatric patients should see one TBH. xx

Before the op I was'nt bothered, but now Red I agree with you. I think it should be standard practice, that you should automatically be refered on to them.

hi pmkmrm i am based in the southwest and i am led to belive that any candidate for bypass surgury on the nhs will have to have a psy evaluation.one it is required in order to obtain funding, and two there is a belief that the mental strains are tougher to deal with than the physical .i had to wait nearly sixteen months from first approching my gp to my op it drove me mad and my gp said the wait was for more than just a waiting list it was to prepare yourself for the change of your whole life

hi everyone
can i ask
thank you
love
kate xx

Hi Kate, I never had to go for one and had been on anti depressants for years. I've managed to wean myself off them now though as part of my problem was my weight. And after having the surgey, I'm a much happier person most of the time hehe)

Hi, i was on anti depressants when i had my initial appointment due to lack of self esteem etcc.. i've been for my pre op assessment and i have not been asked to have a psych ax, i think to be honest learning from everyones stories of there journey through wls, the procedures are different all over the country also i would say you're gp referring you for wls has explained your past medical history (hopefully you have a good gp!) where is your surgery hopefully gonna happen? xx

I concur with Vics. If you are having issues, it would always be an idea if you asked your gp to refer to a counsellor or something similar? I've been to a couple and they really help.

One thing i am going to have after my surgery is cognitive behavioural therapy to help my head follow my body into not just looking great but feeling fab about me, i believe everyone should be offered some kind of therapy after surgery but sadly it appears the one thing thats missing on this great journey. xxx

Hi Kate
I`v been on anti-depressants since I was 20 and I was bulimic from about the same time . I`m now 50 and still on them . When I was going for my assessment I was in to minds to say about me being bulimic and asked peoples advice do I tell or not . I was told don't say anything because they wont give you the surgery . Well me being me I told them and passed with flying colours so I`m not mad after all . But I do think its better to get it done before any body goes for surgery . Good luck and take care .
Margaret xx

Hi.

I have a history of depression and anxiety although they are mainly tied in with the fact I have OCD. I have had several periods of being on anti depressants and they have totally helped but I also had cognitive behaviour therapy which has been the best thing I ever had for coming to terms and living with my OCD. When I was going down the NHS route to get my bypass they asked about my mental health and I was honest. I made very slow progress in getting the surgery on the NHS but I know if I had got to the screening and assessment stage that I would have had to see a team of medical professionals, one of which would have been a psychiatrist or psychologist. Anyone who gets funded in my area has to go through this. I have read some articles that actually strongly link OCD and other anxiety based conditions to obesity and overeating. I was going have this up my sleeve if I needed it. In the end, I did go private and I wasnt asked if I ever had any mental health issues. It did however come out because when they asked what medication I was taking, I told them about the prozac and why. They didnt probe any further info and it certainly didnt prevent it all going ahead once I coughed up the deposit. I'm actually slowly coming off my meds right now and am hoping that my rapid weight loss/shrinking body will help me not have the same self esteem issues,worries, concerns. Good luck with your journey xx

:wave_cry::wave_cry:well i don't think they could refuse surgery because of medication your on[especially when the op may help you deal with your problems or at least give you a chance to deal with your problems without food demons getting in the way..maybe the extra support might help you

i have a personality disorder and have had to have 6 and a half years of counselling ....wish i didn't have to have more but i do..for anger management

i'd recommed counselling to try..but it is hard or at least i find /have found it an uphill battle

:wave_cry::wave_cry::wave_cry::wave_cry::wave_cry::wave_cry::wave_cry:

Last edited:
Hi everyone..... well been sat here debating wether to reply on here..... as many will know i suffer with serve depression.... and have done for a long time.... i never had any psy assement on me..... however if you have read my thread you will see that i am having a real hard time at present....

although my gp is great and I go to my own self help group, it is very hard to find much else around, or that isn't way beyond me price....

Well this weekend it all come to a head, and you could say i exploded, this ended up in my and my hubby splitting..... and me then spending hours and hours in a&e... but although it is still vrey raw for me, and my head is mixed..... i ended up have a chat with the mental health crisis team, in fact if it wasn't for the fact my friend said i could stay at hers i would of been admitted!

But i relised a few things, in the cold light of day and one of these being that yes the operation helped me loose the weight and it is great, it took my comfort away(this being food) so i did the next best thing which is alcohol, i was averging alot of booze a night.... also it made me relise i have some real issues..... i have people around me but i don't feel worthy of their love so i have tried to destroy it....

question for me is where to next!!!!!!!!! i don't know but i know i still have a long journey... i agree they should give therapy-counselling something to anyone that is thinking or having WLS...

Sorry for rambling!

hi mandy
so sorry you are going through the mill my love.
i was thinking today about it and definetly think i would like councilling aterwards.
God Bless
love kate xxx

Back