• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

did u ever get sick of food

claudia24

hoping to be a mummy soon
i know im only 4 weeks post op and now i can try more food as im on soft food but MY GOD i hate eating now, sounds stupid but i just dont wanna eat food, (ok with ice cream, fruit but that gettin old), i dont mean to sound ungrateful about my op because im actually beginning to like it (i know 4 weeks post op BOUT TIME :rolleyes:)

think is cause on the diets after ur op ur limited to watchu can eat so now i find food borin, were as b4 i loved cookin, i love cookin for my bf as i can do anythin really for him. especially gravy and potatoes now, just cant stomach it, am doing very well gettin in my liquids.

gonna try some chicken tomo for the 1st timeo wish me luck.

thank u for reading me moaning on xxxxxxxxx

Hi, I know wot you mean. Some days I just think yuck food. I go through the fridge and cupboard and can't find anything I fancy. Thats when the protein shakes come in handy cos I can just have a drink of that.

Its totally the opposite of being on a diet isn't it? Before everything was food, food, food. Planning your breakfast etc.

Its totally normal feelings, just enjoy having the bypass.

All the best. x

i know wat you mean i find food a chore now and cant face it a lot of the time i think thats because i dont like the feeling you get now wen your pouch is full, and im frightend of dumping which ive done a few times and i hate it. im good in the mornings with porrage, weetabix or boiled egg and a slice of toast its later on, i tend to live on soup or cream crakers n chees spread. i used to drink lots of flavoured water but now i find i dont like it it tastes so sweet and strong so does cordial even if i dont put much in. i love ice cold milk though so i drink a lot wen i can. i have found that i can eat bread, usually just one slice, so i also have a sandwich with tuna, cheese spread, beef or salmon spread, and turkey over xmas.at the moment i dont feel ill ever eat a propper meal again but it dosnt bother me.i like the freedom from food now as it rueld my life before..................kath x

i like the freedom of food as b4 the op, id be spending the day at work working out what to cook for me and bf tea, like now when im cookin for him and id do me somethinby the time i sit down i just think eeuuggh i dont want that.

i dont have preotein drink i just cant stomach them, i just throw them back up. xx

I do get very bored of food and will often just have some soup and a couple of Babybels. I enjoy this new disinterest in food though - I spend hardly anytime thinking about food now.

Lx

OMG i love my food these days. im loving planning and cooking. i think the secret is to choose the tastiest most nutritiouse food and make the most of it. Last night i had a shepherds pie but instead of just mince and onions i added celery and carrots and used proper beef stock then for the topping i did a mixed root veg topping of carrots, swede, parsnips and potatoes and topped it with some cheese then served it with broccoli.
i actually made it the day before whilst doing a roast dinner of roast lamb, roast pots and parsnips, mashed carrots and swede, cauliflower in white sauce and mushy peas.
there is cauliflower left over that i am going to add some cheese and crispy bacon too for my lunch today.
i have got 4 portions of shepherds pie in the freezer for quick meals when busy.

I have really found the key to eating since my bypass is planning. otherwise you end up stuck with the same old thing i went through a phase where i was eating prawns and pinapple all the time. But got bored and soon realised what i needed to do. Tea tonight is fish and chips im actually going to be using my actifry for the first time and this will be the first time in 13 months a piece of fried food has passed my lips. but i am just doing some baked cod in with lemon and cracked black pepper.
Hth
carole

I think that it gets easier the further down the road you go. Carole is at the far end and can eat lots of different things. I'm 7 - 8 weeks post op and I find it difficult to add much variety as I can only eat a small portion and I need to get my nutrition in. I experiment and get things wrong ALL THE TIME. I had some breakfast cereal last night but I was poorly for ages as, even though it had no sugar in, it was 7.2g/100g of sugars. I think I must be ultra sensitive. But I feel fit and healthy so I am just going to carry on and eventually it will be as though I have never eaten any differently. After all, it was my previous eating habits that got me in trouble in the first place.

I think that it gets easier the further down the road you go. Carole is at the far end and can eat lots of different things. I'm 7 - 8 weeks post op and I find it difficult to add much variety as I can only eat a small portion and I need to get my nutrition in. I experiment and get things wrong ALL THE TIME. I had some breakfast cereal last night but I was poorly for ages as, even though it had no sugar in, it was 7.2g/100g of sugars. I think I must be ultra sensitive. But I feel fit and healthy so I am just going to carry on and eventually it will be as though I have never eaten any differently. After all, it was my previous eating habits that got me in trouble in the first place.

gill appriciate what yr saying there about being so far out but i have been like this since my bypass. i have had to still cook for my son and visiting children and didnt want to get into the habit of cooking different meals for everyone. my son has lost a stone since my surgery so everyone is benifitting all round.
in the early days whatever i cooked got pureed mushed but still had the nutritional value and tasted good.

I looooooooove food! I cook every day now and always cook fresh ingredients whereas before I would survive on takeaways and ready meals (2 at a time mostly)

Now the difference is I enjoy food for the tastes, textures and smells, whereas before I just ate to be as full as possible.

Another thread where I am agreeing with Carole, its all in the planning.
Try the new foods when you can, try fish and meats different veggies and fruits and then plan out some meals with them.
Think of what combinations are tasty and would also give you lots of nutrition and go from there. I tend to not eat things if they dont add meaningful nutrition to things, so I will be sure to have more fish/meat than potatoes in a meal and some good veggies/beans etc
So I will have, say, fish, a TINY bit of mash and I mean TINY and some veggies. Adding some tasty but healthy sauces is fun too.
My whole view of food has changed and whilst it has no hold over me like it did pre-op it does have a big place in my life and I do plan it and think about it quite alot, it just really helps to plan things.
I must admit that earlier in the post-op journey I felt the same disinterest in food but it is different now, yes the amounts I can manage are a lot smaller but that just means packing in more goodness to the meals and that can be fun.
Steph xx

thank u everyone, i think i just need t do more planning etc, i still love cookin jus not for me, think its cause im still in thelearning process of only eatin lilttle bits and when i do cook for me i use a side plate and cook just enough, but i jst look at it and think i really dont want it, but when im cookin it im thinkin, cant wait to eat that etc....

well today am trying chicken (only eat chicken, no other meat or fish) not sure what with yet. xxxx

I don't enjoy food the way i used to - but i do enjoy the smells of food cooking. I have had lots of problems with food and what to eat but slowly i am coming through this phase.

I agree with Carole that you need to plan what you are eating otherwise you can get stuck in a rut - i would like to enjoy a sandwich but me and bread don't get on very much so i just have to be patient a bit longer.

Sending hugs with fairy dust xx

Claudia have you thought of cooking a few things n freezing them... Eventually after a week or so you should have a good variety of meals that you could just pop in the microwave for a few minutes... i think we've all cooked something (pre oppers as well as post op) and by the time its done not fancied it.....

Just a thought xx

I'm the same as Carole, i've always loved food, buying it, sourcing good ingrediants and cooking it, and from day one post op i was looking at and sourcing interesting and different ingrediants i could eat at the various stages, i firmly believe that my love of food and interest in what i'm eating has been one of my keys for success, i'm interested in nutriction, the impact of food and what happens to it once inside my body, how the body uses it and of course how it tastes. Now i'm restricted to small amounts of food at each meal i like to make sure that the food that goes in my mouth is the best quality i can find and the most tasty.

Most people dont seem to have an interest in food until there appetite returns, you will find that your hunger and appetite will eventually return and you may regain an interest in food again.

I hope my appetite does return I just cant seem to eat much these days i smell it cooking and think yummy cant wait for that and when I have had 2 small mouthfulls I am stuffed and my pouch hurts and i feel sick so therefore I am not interested in food at all I had some crisps over xmas and managed them in fact i had a quite few cheesy balls and loved them but I do not want to go there again where the bad stuff is all i eat..... by the way I am 9 weeks post op

I hope my appetite does return I just cant seem to eat much these days i smell it cooking and think yummy cant wait for that and when I have had 2 small mouthfulls I am stuffed and my pouch hurts and i feel sick so therefore I am not interested in food at all I had some crisps over xmas and managed them in fact i had a quite few cheesy balls and loved them but I do not want to go there again where the bad stuff is all i eat..... by the way I am 9 weeks post op

This is a slippery slope - you dont like the full restrictive feeling food gives you so you start to eat slidder foods that do not give you the pain or the sickly feeling of over filling your pouch, but by continuing to eat slidder foods you will be able to eat more without reaching restriction and either stall your weight lose or regain, and long term abuse of slidder foods will lead to pouch stretching.

Its a habbit you have to get out of, and use the feeling of restriction to your advantage, if you eat to full restriction you will not be able to or feel any need to snack between meals, thus sticking to your 3 meals a day, and inturn avoiding hollow high calorie foods that slide !

This is a slippery slope - you dont like the full restrictive feeling food gives you so you start to eat slidder foods that do not give you the pain or the sickly feeling of over filling your pouch, but by continuing to eat slidder foods you will be able to eat more without reaching restriction and either stall your weight lose or regain, and long term abuse of slidder foods will lead to pouch stretching.

Its a habbit you have to get out of, and use the feeling of restriction to your advantage, if you eat to full restriction you will not be able to or feel any need to snack between meals, thus sticking to your 3 meals a day, and inturn avoiding hollow high calorie foods that slide !

That seems about right when i come to think of it thanks for pointing it out and making me see what i was doing wrong. From now on I think I will listen more to what my body tells me and that is with proper healthy meals not the crap that made me fat in the first place. I mean that is the reason we have the operations so we can get away from bad habits and use the tool to make us see we are full isn't it.
Once again, thanks silversurfer seeing it from someone else has made me see it as it realy is xxx

:thankyou::ashamed0005:

had a fish pie today and it went down really well and i enjoyed it. i admit i was a bit scared of eating it at first, wating for my pouch to hurt and sick feeling after a couple of bites, but it didnt hapen. i saw someone say theyd had a veg stirfry i am going to try one as i love stir fry and am really missing things like that.i like noodles too, i have them with sf so looking forward to trying them,now xmas is over and things starting to get back to normal i want to try and get into a routeen with my meals so i am eating better.............kath x

Back