• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Diet Coke

Jinjanut

Hi all,

I read on a daily menu diary that someone was having diet coke. I would love to drink it! Can we have this? I have read on us sites that it helps unblock food?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks all xxx

Bypassers are not supposed to have any drinks that are sparkling, according to my provider.
I would LOVE a diet coke. It's my only 'issue' with this whole bypass thing. Not a massive issue, but I do crave it but have not given in yet!

Hi! I'm 2 months out & was told "no allowed" I read a lot of ppl on this sight, even @ my meetings go back to drinking soda. But I'm told its bad for your pouch. There's an experment you can try (its in my book) put a balloon over a soda & pour it in. Then shake the ballon around (like your movement of walking around) & see what happeneds. How the balloon expands & how the soda gets fizzy & foamy. Think of that in your pouch. Besides it can cause ulcers (ouch) I loved diet coke before surgery, but I've stopped drinking them all together. Though I'm fairly earlie out I haven't even had the urge to drink one. I'm sure there will come a day where I will want one.
Good luck to you, I hope this helps. I know we are all going to face not doing something we want to do.
<3 Brandi

no good letting it go flat,the heat in your tum reactivates the gas!There are lots of lovely drinks besides coke!

Fizzy pop isn't a good idea, though my provider says we can mix it with ice and stir it until flat.
I do have the very odd beer or fizzy mixer now, 7+ months out. But I don't make a habit of it.
Early on it made me feel very very uncomfortable. I still wouldn't be drinking much of it.

My pouch is too precious to take risks with.

I posted this once before but its worth a read I think.

Your pouch has two openings so fizzy drinks are unlikely to stretch it, the gas would just escape through one or both. The gas might make you feel uncomfortable for a while but my readings on this point to the main reason being carbonated soft drinks may cause weight gain by reducing the absorption of dietary calcium.

Dietary calcium helps to stimulate fat breakdown and reduce its uptake into fatty tissue. Clinical studies have found a close association between obesity and low dietary calcium intake. Recent studies have also found that maintaining sufficient amounts of dietary calcium helps weight loss, and can help to prevent weight gain following diet.

The high caffeine in carbonated drinks is one way that drinking carbonated drinks may reduce the absorption of calcium into the body. Studies have found that caffeine increases urinary calcium content, meaning that high caffeine may interfere with the uptake of dietary calcium into the body. Keep in mind that one can of Pepsi and Coke (diet or those with sugar) contain 37 mg of caffeine each.

Carbonated drinks taken soon after eating might force food through your Stoma (The opening from your pouch to your intestine) which could lead to dumping or even stretch this opening, meaning that the food will empty out of your pouch sooner leading you to feel hungry sooner which could cause you to regain weight

Add in the other health problems associated with artificial sweeteners and it's easy to see why they should be avoided.

Am lying in bed with a can of full fat pepsi as I type! BUT I have chronic malabsorption so need all the calories I can get (especially after losing weight in hospital lately) so all the arguments for not drinking fizzy don't count for me. I don't personally find an increase in gas either.

Just to say, one can of regular pepsi lasts me all evening and the next morning too as I dump on sugars still so it's a steady sip.

I have probably 2-3 fizzy drinks per week, the rest of the time I drink water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I'm still trying to think of something that will go with Tia Maria that's not fizzy for my occasional tipple x

A girl after my own heart, black russians are my favourite, I will have a small one soon, but I will let alot of the fizz go before hand.

I know plenty of people that allow their fizzy drink to go flat, then drink it...it's a fallacy that the heat in the stomach 're-activates' a carbonated drink...a drink it carbonated by dissolving CO2 into the fluid under high pressure, once the pressure is reduced, the CO2 begins to dissipate out of the fluid (seen as small bubbles), once to CO2 is out, it's out for good! One would literally have to go back through the process of re-carbonating the drink for it to become fizzy again. The main reason why WLS patients are advised not to drink carbonated drinks is because the build up of CO2 in the pouch can cause it to stretch.

Back