• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Diet coke??

x.Nicky.x

Question, am I allowed to drink diet coke on pre op diet?

Just bit worried, as I drink it a lot??

Xxxx

Does your diet sheet say you can?

I wasn't allowed it on either of my pre ops and also was advised against fizzy drinks with my band.

In my pre op booklet it says you can drink any diet drinks up until the date of surgery and my dietitian said the same thing but every hospital is different so its probably best to call and ask. You definitely cant drink it after surgery though. I feel your pain! All i drink really is diet coke or water and i've started to try and cut it out completely before i have to so it's not something i will miss after.. its been 2 weeks and 4 days since i've had even a sip :( lol

OMGGGGG...am I seriously going to have to give up diet coke??????

I did not know this!!!

Whyyy??

I dont know if I can - I am an addict lol seriously!!!!

Virtually all NHS hospitals (and many other private providers) recommend against fizzy drinks after surgery - even for gastric bands. The concern (outside discomfort and pain) is largely around the gas stretching your pouch size. There are also several studies suggesting a link between diet soda and weight gain, though this is still under debate. I'd think carefully about whether you think it is worth the risk. A private healthcare provider has more of an incentive to downplay risks and drastic post-op changes, so personally I wouldn't choose to go with their advice over NHS providers without an agenda, just because the private clinic tells you what you want to hear. An occasional glass of diet coke when you're a bit further out may be fine, but if you say you are "an addict" I assume you drink quite a lot of them. Ultimately it is your choice, but personally, I wouldn't risk it.

I have been cutting down on my Pepsi max, I used to have 1 pint of it each night but suffer badly with insomnia so as it contains caffeine I have started to have it with water, half and half, it's worth a try you can do it more gradually than that if its better for you xx

Yeah i was told it can be really painful to drink fizzy drinks for the first year after surgery due to bloating and wind.. My dietitian said to stay away from them altogether after the op

Thanks all for your advise.

I do have around 5 cans a day so defo guna have to cut down or stop as weight loss is the most important xx

I was private and was advised not to drink fizzy drinks 2weeks pre op and avoid completely postop!! But everyone's provider says different
Xx

Think I am just going to stop then :( god there is so much I have to give up ...feel like the next few weeks r just guna be rubbish..

Food, fags and coke :oops::(

Meehhhh

Thanks all for your advise.

I do have around 5 cans a day so defo guna have to cut down or stop as weight loss is the most important xx

I drink carbonated drinks now and it hasn't effected my sleeve. I just don't gulp them down. Its mainly fizzy water I have at work :) sometimes useful when food has become 'stuck' though I still don't rush my food so that hasn't been a problem xx

Hi there :)

I still drink fizzy drinks, I just add ice, a few slices of lime and stir the bubbles mostly out
Banded almost 3 years (October)
Follow the rules, you will be fine, I love my band, it's literally changed my life x x x

Love this - need some positivity right now!!! Tbh there isnt much positive comments relating to the band xx

Thanks hun - I will learn to love flat coke mehhh!!!

Xxx

Love this - need some positivity right now!!! Tbh there isnt much positive comments relating to the band xx

Thanks hun - I will learn to love flat coke mehhh!!!

Xxx

Lol, its still nice with ice and a slice and sipped. Personally I'm a big fan of coke zero, ice cold :cool:

We have had and still do have many successful and happy banders, I was one of them. We don't have as many at the moment as it seems its more popular for private patients and a lot of our current members are NHS patients.

Whatever option you chose and route you take to get there, all are welcome xx

Back