• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

diet coke?

BECKYBROWN80

i know this is just a little thing! but can i never have diet coke again after the bypass???? lol i know but i love it and gets me through the day at work!! does anyone still drink fizzy drinks? prob think i need to get a grip and suck it up but i love diet coke!!! lol:D

Because of the Calcium to phosphorus ratio of Coke it is known to cause problems with reducing your bone density. In some people it causes pain and gas problems. There are some theories that it stretches your pouch- although some believe this not to be the case (weightloss surgery for dummies is one).

I have a sleeve and do occasionally have one. Diet coke and whiskey is my drink of choice if I am out.

I am 5 months post op and didn't have coke until very recently. I have tried it completely flat and have tried it full fizz and to be honest I don't find any difference between the two.

I think the obvious effects depends from person to person but be aware of the unseen affects that it may not help such as bone problems.

Hi, I was also diet cokes biggest fan but I have a theory.....aswell as what Hanis has stated I believe that any fizzy drinks with artificial sweeteners cause cravings for other sweet foods such as chocolate and cakes, therefore i dont bother. I have no evidence to prove my theory but its what i believe xx

I'm with you on this one becky! I drink a 500ml bottle of either coke zero or pepsi max every day at work. However, I've been told by my dietician that post-op I can't drink any fizzy drinks, including fizzy water which I found a bit odd, but she said it was to do with it causing problems with the pouch.

It's all a bit confusing really :)

H x

thanks. thought people might think i was a bit mad. going to have an amazing life changing opportunity and all i can worry about is missing diet coke! lol it will be my number 1 loss! although my hubby will be very pleased as he is a bit of a health freak and hates me drinking the stuff! but i neeeeed it! lol. well i think it sounds like i will have to leave it a while after but at least i know that one day i can have it again. sad i know but i will miss it more than anything!
thanks again
xx

I must confess I have tried diet cola too (and fanta mmmmmmmm) . . . . if you add water the fizz is dissipated and it is much easier to drink. Hanis makes a very valid point. Fizzy drinks often contain phosphoric acid (the ingredient that gives them their appealing tangy taste and 'tingle'). This can affect skin and muscles, and even damage the heart and kidneys. 'The body's phosphorous balance influences the ageing process – there is a school of thought which says (cola of example) can cause premature aging! Phosphorous / phosphoric acid in just two fizzy drinks a week can cause calcium to be leached from your bones.
The gas / fiz is the major issue even the limited amount produced by a mouthful of coke can expand your pouch like a balloon. Beefy is perfectly correct, carbonated drinks – like cola, ginger ale, cider and even tonic water – increase hunger and can lead to weight regain.
We all learn to love the taste of water xx

My surgeon said no fizzy drinks ever again unless they've gone flat. The gas expands the reduced-size pouch. Same here; love diet Coke but even sparkling mineral water is a no-no.

i was the same,i drank bottles of fizzy drinks each week but i noticed if i was dieting and eating healthy i never misses them.its 8 weeks since i started my new life now and never even thought of a fizzy drink till i read this,omg thats a lie i have on a weekend coz i miss my morgans spice with coke and ice yum yum,never mind i no 1 day al have 1 again when the time feels right

Yup you're right, suck it up and get over it.

Seriously i was a diet coke fiend, i had my last one over 12 months ago, apart from a sip out of a bottle on a recent day out when seriously there was no other option.. And you know what? I can't remember what i saw in it....

Now a starbucks skinny latte, that's another story hmmmm

We all have to learn to deal with things we no longer have yours is coke!Mine bread but its not that hard!

losing weight will give u a better buzz than the diet coke ever did. I cant take any fizzy drinks at all now

I craved diet coke after my op. I had some that had the fizz taken out and it tastes very sweet and not at all pleasant! It's just your head saying you want it. The reality is you won't miss it at all! xx

I'll drink a beer here and there, but not like I used too! I must admit that I miss being able to chug a beer faster than all my guy friends, but I like being able to see my feet more!

I used to be a huge diet coke fiend too but decided I didn't want to drink all those additives so I changed about 2 years ago to good old fashioned NAS squash in bottled water. It took a while to get used to it but now I can't even touch diet coke..its far too sweet. We have all become used to the food industry manipulating our tastebuds and it makes me quite angry when I think about it. When I was young (early 1960's!!) everyone drank diluted squash- Coke was a treat once a week at most! ...and it was in one of those old fashioned small bottles that hold about 190ml...about half the size they are now.
You can change anything if you want to. Honest :)x

I do think that the gas in these drinks, whether it's Diet Coke or plain soda water, has a thirst-quenching quality to them. Guess it's a case of just got to stop doing the stuff we've always done - this whole thing is about learning new behaviour patterns.

Was just looking up threads on Coke.
The day after my op I had a real craving for an ice cold diet coke/pepsi - probably cos I was fed up of warm hospital water lol!
I was told I can't have it in future - I think I'll stick with that in my head and not try it - I din't want it to not have any bad effects on me so I start drinking it again in the future.

lol this thread makes me smile. Pre-op I was easily drinking ten cans of diet coke or pepsi max per day. I never left the house without a bottle of it in my handbag. Not being able to drink it was my biggest WLS concern. I read the previous threads where people said ''Oh you tastebuds will change. You won't want diet coke anymore'' and I thought yeah right, that won't happen to me.

I'm 4 weeks post op. I haven't wanted a diet coke at all. I go to the shop and pick up a bottle of water and I see those brown bottles and think yuck, why would I want to pour those chemicals down my throat? I really do feel like I've been released from an addiction.

I still love my caffeine though. Nowadays I carry a little flask type mug around with me filled with either coffee or nescafe mocha light so that I can still get my caffeine fix.
I also have the robinsons NAS squash although it's not a big favourite of mine. If I get really thirsty I have a glass of milk which helps up my protein too.

Back