• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Diet Drinks, coke and the like.

Anon1986

So while I don't drink many carbonated drinks anyway, other than lucozade which was my obsession at one point, I was wondering why the ban pre-op?

The only 2 arguments to why you cannot drink diet coke (for example) on a pre-op diet is either to make you mentally prepared for not drinking after the operation and then lots of people insisting it tricks your body because of the sweeteners...

But then? Why do we get told to drink NAS squash, or sugar free jelly? There are more sweeteners in those than diet drinks by far.

So, curious if anyone knows the real reason why or if I missed something?

fyi I've not been drinking them on my preop diet / nor plan to. I didn't drink them for over a year after my gastric wrap and don't mind giving them up.

I was allowed to drink them pre-op I think each provider has their own rules

It's the gases in the fizzy drinks which can stretch your pouch post op, not to do with sweeteners.

As butterfly says, each provider has different rules though.

Good luck :)

It's the gases in the fizzy drinks which can stretch your pouch post op, not to do with sweeteners.

As butterfly says, each provider has different rules though.

Good luck :)

The stretching after post op seems debatable, but even though it's not confirmed it's more than enough reason not to post op. My wondering was purely pre-op.

I'd hazard a guess it's largely due to curbing the addictiveness pre op. Fizzy drinks are usually last thing that we give up, fooling ourselves everything's ok as long as we have a diet coke or sprite zero???
I've never liked fizzy drinks so never been an issue for me :)

I loved diet fizzies pre-op but I've paid so much for this op I've followed my teams instructions to the letter and I don't want to risk loosing any restriction. I can imagine it would feel really uncomfortable to drink them now, it's bad enough if I drink too much water too quick!

I was a diet coke addict and I had a medium latte from Costa today and felt full for at least 2 hours afterwards and it was a case of sipping it very slowly.

I don't miss the coke being able to fit into size 12 jeans and knowing I am looking so much better is worth so much more I just feel happy happy happy

Was more lucozade for me, I did miss that after my wrap. But I still didn't drink any carbonated drinks for a year at least.

Back