• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Can diet coke stretch the sleeve?

wilko9999

Hi
I'm 7 months post sleeve op and wanted to know if it's ok to drink diet coke? The company I used are an absolute disgrace. Their aftercare is non existent! The surgeon however is amazing! The company kind of hire the surgeon and hospital then they do the rest, or don't in my case! I was told by an Independent dietician that fizzy drinks can stretch the sleeve whilst the people I went through said they can't! I don't drink hot drinks and only like diet coke and water. I feel quite alone with all this and wondered if anyone had a true answer please??
Many thanks.

ive read on here that people say the bubbles in any fizzy drink expands in the tummy and COULD cause it to swell I often read people telling each other to either
not drink it
wait till till flat to avoid any possible issues
I guess others more versed in this will answer you better than I can.

I was told that all carbonated drinks will stretch pouches or sleeves and to stay off them for life. My Bariatric dietician at Derby royal hospital explained about how the gas escapes from the bottle does the same in your stomach, I can't remember the exact words but remember thinking wow that makes sense.

wow - I'm with the same team and have had a very different experience.

I live a long way away, so have follow up appointments by phone (and they are on hand if I need to email and will return call)

I didnt have the same op. I had plication.....

I occassionally have a little fizzy water or pepsi max. Never much more than a few mouthfulls and not overly fizzy.

You'll find if you try that the bubbles come right back up ! Couldnt drink and wouldnt want to drink a glass full

Thankyou everyone I really appreciate your replies. Sarahloveswelshcobs and all others out there please note that Prof Ammouri is AMAZING!!! and it's the side line company that's worth avoiding. Spire Manchester hospital is faultless too :)

prof ammori and his team are my team and are fab, but i was told not to drink fizzy stuff at all due to overloading the sleeve and making it bigger

Hey darling, I'm a ballooner so can't have fizzy drinks, either.

I don't drink tea or coffee and I miss diet coke. Not sure if you can get it in the UK but surely Amazon will have it... Crystal Light. Super yummy, only 5 calories. A zillion flavors (I love the fruit punch).

Attachments

• image-1498537656.jpg
    image-1498537656.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 136
I was told that all carbonated drinks will stretch pouches or sleeves and to stay off them for life. My Bariatric dietician at Derby royal hospital explained about how the gas escapes from the bottle does the same in your stomach, I can't remember the exact words but remember thinking wow that makes sense.

I was told the same by my dietician so have given all fizzes including soda a wide berth

I was told not to drink it for the first 6-8 weeks but if I wanted occasional afterwards then it's fine. But it's individual as it might cause wind pain so leaving it to go flat may help with that. My team are of the view that nothing is banned but moderation is the key.

I just don't get how it would be in there long enough to stretch it. Once it's poured most of the carbonation settles. I can see why drinking straight from a bottle or can would mean more carbonation in the stomach than if you put it in a glass. When you drink liquid goes through a pouch really quickly. Bad case of the foamies maybe, bad wind pain, again maybe so the info of letting it go a bit flat is based on pain and discomfort which we all want to avoid.

It seems another area which is based on not a lot of evidence tbh and individual opinion of the teams. I'd love to find a study where they've measured it's effects but can't seem to.

Last edited:
I have to be honest here...I was told to avoid for the first 6 weeks...which I did, and I was nervous about trying it, but I now have a can a day....I won't lie it does make me burp! But the surgeon said that as long as it is not causing me pain and my weight is still coming off its fine (I have lost 5st5lbs in 4 months!)...if you want it just have little sips...thats the only difference now...no big gulps for me!!!

Fuzzy drinks are a big no, no for live with my surgeon as it will if regularly taken stretch the stomach over time. Occasional use will lead to complacency. Who wants to go through surgery then in 5-10 years have cocked it up, not me. X

I wouldn't drink coke if you paid me. Horrible stuff!
However my team did tell me to avoid all carbonated drinks....................... does that include champers? :confused:

I was told to avoid fizz forever. Don't miss come at all now. I have vodka and soda on a night out and bash the fizz out of the soda.

Hi,

The following is a "copy & paste" from my provider on the subject of fizzy drinks once you are back on a normal diet.

You may find fizzy diet soft-drinks or sparkling waters hold too much gas in your stomach pouch which may be quite uncomfortable. There is some evidence to suggest excessive fizzy drink consumption can lead to stretching of the stomach and loss of restriction.

Regards,

AE.

I would concur with all of this - I have had two fizzy drinks in the 19 months since my op and they hurt! So I can only imagine what repeatedly drinking them could do to me.

I've also always wanted a straight answer on this and I still miss diet coke even one year on! I have 3 people I know who have not been successful in their weight loss and all have admitted to me they drink fizz regularly. Of course I can't say that's the reason they are still huge but even wondering what if? Is enough to keeps away from it

It's not worth the risk. I used to drink stacks of diet coke but stopped leading upto my surgery. I really do not miss it at all, I drink orange cordial with water or black currant cordial. I don't class it as a sacrifice as it's not something I miss. I have stopped buying it as don't want the kids drinking too much of it.

I'm a bander and I've largely avoided fizzy drinks since my op. I've had a couple of glasses of Prosecco but took an hour to drink them, and only took a tiny sip at a time.

I've also had a few sips of diet Coke but poured the rest away.

My provider says fizzy drinks are allowed in moderation as long as you can tolerate them.

I really love a beer on holiday (the only time I drink it), but think I'll switch to wine in future.

booking sleeve

Thankyou everyone I really appreciate your replies. Sarahloveswelshcobs and all others out there please note that Prof Ammouri is AMAZING!!! and it's the side line company that's worth avoiding. Spire Manchester hospital is faultless too :)

Hi i'm just in the process of booking my sleeve. Can you say who the side lien company is?

Back