• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

different scales

christine77

i knew i'd put about 4lbs on over xmas so thought what the hell plenty time to lose it, so was at the diabetic nurse today and got weight and yes i'd put 3lbs on since my last weigh in which matches sunderlands records

with about 8 weeks to go till my op
( hopefully ) i thought i know what i'll do i will join weight watchers and try there new diet that everyone at work is singing the praises of
so went tonight and nearly died on the scales according to her scales im 8 lbs heavier than at the nurses this morning - impossible ive ony had a tin of weight watches soup and 3 cracker breads all day !!

so now i am scared stiff what if i go my pre op and get weight on another set of scales and they weigh different again and they stop my surgery like they did with Paul - am totally scared now i really dont want it to go wrong at this stage.

i know if im good i can lose more by then but im just so scared of getting weighed at the hospital now

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Don't worry about this at all. I would keep going to weight watchers and then you can take your card and show what you have lost. The actual weight wont matter if you can show you are losing and the weight watchers card will prove that. Its about the commitment to losing weight and following a diet rather than the actual weight.
You will be fine - keep up the good work and don't put yourself through lots of stress.
Best wishes
JO XX

Hiya Chris please don't worry about it, it's really common for scales to weigh differently. Good for you on starting WW, you'll get the weight off no problem.

How's your dad? I haven't spoken to mam in a while so haven't had a chance to ask. xx

Firstly, all scales can weigh differently so don't worry about that. You also weigh more as the day goes along, you may not have eaten much but you will have had fluids etc....

So long as you use the same scales to judge at whilst clawing back weight gained you'll be fine. Also take your w/w card and show your progress at the hospital if there are any queries...

Good luck xx

Please don't worry Chris. You'll have lost your few Christmas pounds and then some in 8 weeks! + The scales are probably wrong.
Also they're very fussy about which scales they weigh you on now at SRH because I think there's been a few mistakes.
Grace xxx

you'll find the scales in hospitals, especially the bariatric side of things are religously calibrated to make sure they are spot on, as all have said, all scales weigh different, stick to your usual ones as your point of reference if i were you ;)

The WW ones may be the most accurate as they are calabrated more often than te nurses, but that does mean you cant compare previous weights to those scales so only compare weights from the same set of scales, if you see what I mean?

If one set say you weight 1 stone and another says 1 stone 3 you cant compare the next weigh in where the second set says 1 stone, so if you can just go by one set (id go by the WW ones if you are going to carry on going and ignore any others but remember that they may go by their own at the hospital but as long as you take your card you can prove what you have lost)

Blooming 'eck, 8 lbs is a real difference! Like everyone else says, don't worry about it though, as it only really matters what you weigh on the hosptial scales. I am sure you will do brilliantly at WW so whatever you lose between now & then will be noted in your card if there are any queries at the hospital, but I am sure you will do fine. Is it my cynical nature or is that a deliberate ploy by WW, to get you to sign up because their scales are weighing you in heavier than you really are, lol? xxx

Last edited:
I think this is common with ww scales , they made me 1 stone heavier then I actually was...lol phew thank god they was wrong.....

This is one of my worries too... I'm calorie counting at home and therefore I don't have an 'official' card or book to show that I've been losing weight - only a chart that I have stuck to the fridge.

So, if by my scales I've lost my 5kg, but by the dieticians I haven't then its going to be my word against theirs that I've not been dieting, etc.

Thankfully when I got weighed at home on the morning of my first appointment with Kim, I still weighed the same at Sunderland.

I guess we can only use the scales as a guide - and hope that they believe us when we say we have been trying.

I can also put on 3-5 pounds during a day, even when I've been good! And my scales give a different reading depending which floor tile they're on.

Christine, use the scales as a guide and just stick with it - you know you're doing it right; and you'll have the WW card to show that you've been losing weight over the weeks leading up to the op. Good luck!

Hi- I always use the ones in Boots as they give a print out in stones and pounds and kilos - your height is also recorded there as well as your BMI.
I find this excellent record to fall back on over the months to see how my weight has fluctuated and at just 50p it is a good investment.

Back