• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sabotage before the operation

Serapis Bey

I don't know what's wrong with me!!!

I managed to loose 2 stones from June to September 2010. I didn't have to I just wanted to prove to the surgeon and dietitian that I was serious about weight loss.

I have regained what I have lost. My operation is in January and I'm really angry with myself.

They will look at my records and see that ive gained 2 stones. I'm off on my hols soon and will make an extraordinary effort to loose before January.

Im just waiting for a letter with my date.

Have I ****ed it up? Will they still operate if I've gained weight from the last appointment (in October) but complete the milk diet (so I will be heavier with a shrunken liver, if you know what I mean.):cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

wouldn't beat yourself up over it, what is done is done, get back onto a sensible healthy diet plan before your holidays, don't over endulge on holiday, and then be strict as possible on the milk diet, we all have a fall off the wagon, thus why the WLS option for us, chin up, upwards and onwards ;)

You are just like me and i worry about it so much. I lost 18lb and have gained about 7lb now and i am trying to get that back off plus more before i start my milk diet on Boxing day.
I am finding it really difficult and i am disgusted in myself that even knowing that im having surgery on 6th January im still not motived. I am trying though and it doesnt help that im not attending ww or sw either.

All you can do lovey is try your best, i think you will be ok as long as you dont cheat on your liver shrinking diet.

Someone i know who has had wls said they didnt weigh her when she went in for her op, and i hope they dont weigh me either lol xxxxx

This is why you need the WLS. I was the same and had no motivation pre-op to lose weight. I think subconsciously I was eating because I could and I knew that soon I wouldn't be able to. If you get what I mean! Anyway try now if you can to lose some of the weight, small changes!
Lots of luck.
xxxxxxxxx

So long as you can complete your pre-op diet (and hence lose weight / shrink your liver) you will be fine. Don't beat yourself up over what was. Just do your best going forward.

My hospital have told me that even if they don't weigh you on the day of the op (which some hospitals do, some don't), if your liver hasn't shrunk enough, and therefore it is too dangerous to operate on you, they'll close you up and send you home without doing the gastric bypass.

The pre-op diet is hard, and I'm struggling at times, but I am losing and I am doing my hardest now on the pre-op as I would absolutely hate myself if I let that happen to me on the day... through my own fault.

You've got enough time to shed some weight.. you'll be fine xx

About 4 and 1/2 weeks before my surgery, the day before I got my surgery date, I weighed myself and found to my horror that I'd gained almost 4kgs. My hospital WOULD NOT operate if I'd re-gained weight (that's their very strict policy), so I had a mad crazy time having to lose it before even starting the milk diet.

I was horrified and did all the things you're doing now, beating myself up, blaming myself, etc. Did that help? NO! What helped was just deciding that the re-gained weight WAS going to come off! Come what may!

I went on a high protein, low fat, low carb diet and lost all I needed to in 3 weeks! Then I was an utter saint on my pre-op despite attending my brother's wedding, staying in a posh hotel where huge breakfasts where laid on for 3 days, and taking the rest of theaily out for slap-up meals over those 3 days!
You see, I found my motivation when I most needed it! And I bet you can too!

Ok, so you've messed up. If you weren't in the habit of messing up food-wise, you wouldn't be having WLS; as others have said.
What's important NOW is to re-find your motivation and determination, get that weight off, and then be an absolute saint on your pre-op diet.

It will be tough, especially since you're going on holiday, but I did it and I'm sure you can....and I promise you it's worth it.

And once you've had your surgery, things do become much more simple! :D

Hugs and love
Grace xxx

hi....i was'nt weighed befor my op either...i know i put weight on....but what has happened has happened....i would'nt worry about it...get your head back on track and do your best ..good luck anyway
bif.....

Thank you all for your advice. I feel so much better, I was tearing my hair out yesterday and felt like a fat out of control failure, but your replies have made me feel better & determined to get this thing under control.

Don't beat yourself up hun its hard to stay motivated no matter how good we think we will do. Pre op is about shrinking your liver more than losing weight so be as good as you can and as most have said we have all had/are having wls because we have all struggled. Big hugs xx

I agree will all the advice youve already been given, you cant turn the clock back, unfortunately! So you have to work with what you have, try and be as good as you can now whilst you have a bit of time left and then stick to the milk diet religiously :D Im sure you will be fine, and before long you will have a tool to work with that should make it easier to be good :D XX

Back