• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dilation anyone??

Lawstudent

I am sure this is covered elsewhere but I am 3wks post op (bypass) and for five days have started to have vomiting etc and the doctor thinks it is scar tissue and I need the dilation :( I am going in Monday to see for definite. I have lived off fluids now for three weeks. I am fed up! Can anyone tell me if the dilation is another general anaesthetic? Can someone reassure me it won't be horrific! Also endoscopy, I can't even think about that without heaving!!

I had a dilation 4 weeks post op (sleeve). It is done under sedation but you are awake. The endoscope is used & the instruments are put down your throat. It sounds horrible but I hardly knew I had it done. It is so quick. I got a gret deal of relief.
you don't have to be sedated as they put a local anaesthetic spray down your throat but I am a coward LOL.
Last Monday the surgeon did another endoscope with a possible dilation but there is nothing wrong & all is healthy so he didn't do the dilation. Again it took about 5 minutes. I am having problems eating but my bloods etc are all healthy. He said I need to be patient & just have soft foods & liquids. It will natural stretch over time. Boring but I've lost 8 1/2 stones & loving my new figure. I'm never hungry & don't want to eat apart to ensure I get my key nutrition. I am now actually happy nothing is wrong & am not so stressed out about it. I am still struggling to eat (just taken 30 minutes to eat a yogurt) but fit & healthy. Don't worry to much about your dilation it should not be as bad as you think.

It now feels like something is stuck, but I haven't eaten? Like something small when I swallow. Very annoying.

I get that all the time. I am suffering from acid reflux apparently. The medications are not helping but back at doctors next week.
Apparently the amount of stomach acid is still the same after the op but we now have harly any 'stomach' & it has no where to go & therefore comes up into our oesophogus etc. it also makes it difficult to get food even small amounts passed it. It is very painful for me to be honet but I'm persevering. I am only having soups & soft foods in very small amounts. I support my protein intake with protein shots (25 g a vial) & high protein shakes & soups (17g a portion). Not ideal but dietician has said better this than nothing. However I am finding it very hard to loose weight despite hardly eating & having very few calories. Still 8 1/2 stones lost so far so not complaining. Go see your team & get advice.

Poor you, being sick is horrible. I have had problems with that for the past 6 wks or so, but my surgeon is reluctant to dilate just yet. Literally in the past couple of days things are starting to get better and I'm celebrating two sick-free days in a row. Hope they get you sorted out pronto xx

Glad to hear you re feeling a bit better. The pain is not too bad today. Managed a high protein soup. Increased medications seem to be helping me. I have been told to be patient uuuurgh!

Well I am in for dilation tomorrow and not looking forward to it at all :( I get the most awful gurgly noises when I drink, have had nothing to eat for over a week and feeling utterly miserable!

I still gurgle - sounds like a drain pipe kinda embarrassing LOL good luck with ilation hope it helps.

Lawstudent said:
Well I am in for dilation tomorrow and not looking forward to it at all :( I get the most awful gurgly noises when I drink, have had nothing to eat for over a week and feeling utterly miserable!

Hope you get sorted Hun,lets know how you get on.x

Lawstudent said:
Well it was horrendous! Awful. But anyway at least I can now eat and drink!!

Good news,that will be a relief for you,you can get posting your food diaries now.!!!

So glad to hear you can now eat and drink. Poor you, having to go through such an awful procedure. At least it has helped a lot x

I had one done under GA and then a further two - Despite getting a sedation injection I was fully awake and aware of everything. Not very nice but third one finally sorted me out.

Hope you are tolerating food better now :)

handbag-annie said:
I had one done under GA and then a further two - Despite getting a sedation injection I was fully awake and aware of everything. Not very nice but third one finally sorted me out.

Hope you are tolerating food better now :)

Hi Annie,god your unlucky 3 times in all,what was the time scale on getting the 3 of them done and how bad we're you with trying to eat food etc?

edge said:
Hi Annie,god your unlucky 3 times in all,what was the time scale on getting the 3 of them done and how bad we're you with trying to eat food etc?

Hi! I had my op on Wednesday 5 September. I couldn't keep anything down and was told it would settle down. I literally couldn't keep any liquids down until the following Tuesday when I could drink tea and soup without being sick.

I got home the next day which was a week after my op. liquids continued to stay down, but as soon as it tried puréed food the following Monday, things started to go wrong! I was continually sick and bringing everything back up, but persevered for ten days. Looking back I know I left it too long before seeking help, but when I had probs immediately post op my team said it would fall into place eventually - and it did. Unfortunately this time it didn't and ten days with keeping nothing down (3weeks post op) I was admitted to hospital as an emergency with severe dehydration.

A week later after a series of tests, the first attempt was done under GA. The second was attempted two days later. Both were unsuccessful and meantime I'm still retching and not even keeping water down.

Took a further week to get the third procedure booked and done, and meantime I'm still being sick and keeping nothing down.

Thankfully the third attempt worked as I was losing all faith I had. I got home after nearly three weeks in hospital. I'm doing great but still very sick some days. Unsure if this is part of the process or due to my original problems. My dietician says I'm doing great and seeing my consultant in a fortnight which will be good to reassure me.

Are you having problems?

handbag-annie said:
Hi! I had my op on Wednesday 5 September. I couldn't keep anything down and was told it would settle down. I literally couldn't keep any liquids down until the following Tuesday when I could drink tea and soup without being sick.

I got home the next day which was a week after my op. liquids continued to stay down, but as soon as it tried puréed food the following Monday, things started to go wrong! I was continually sick and bringing everything back up, but persevered for ten days. Looking back I know I left it too long before seeking help, but when I had probs immediately post op my team said it would fall into place eventually - and it did. Unfortunately this time it didn't and ten days with keeping nothing down (3weeks post op) I was admitted to hospital as an emergency with severe dehydration.

A week later after a series of tests, the first attempt was done under GA. The second was attempted two days later. Both were unsuccessful and meantime I'm still retching and not even keeping water down.

Took a further week to get the third procedure booked and done, and meantime I'm still being sick and keeping nothing down.

Thankfully the third attempt worked as I was losing all faith I had. I got home after nearly three weeks in hospital. I'm doing great but still very sick some days. Unsure if this is part of the process or due to my original problems. My dietician says I'm doing great and seeing my consultant in a fortnight which will be good to reassure me.

Are you having problems?

Hope everything sorts its self out soon,bet you can't wait to see the consultant,it's nice to get a bit or reassurance and see some light at the end of the tunnel.you must be about 10 weeks post op now,so you would expect things to be settling down,fingers crossed for you.x

I seem to have plodded along but I can tell I have narrowed again a bit but nowhere near as bad as last time when I was literally unable to even keep water down. I get that horrible gurgly thing at the moment but am trying to see how things are next week as I have actually managed to keep some super noodles down most days! I have to say it isn't something I look forward to doing again!

Get your doctor to check you out for acid reflux. I thought after my first dilation I needed another as recently couldn't keep anything down. Surgeon took me in but everything was fine during the endoscopy so he didn't do the dilation. He changed my medication does ages & gave me anti sickness liquid & asked me to keep to soups & soft foods. All has got so much better. Still not able to eat much but definitely better, less painful & no vomitting. Apparently I have very bad acid reflux & this is stopping food going down & getting digestion. The sickness then makes it rose. Viscious circle.

Bellydancer57 said:
Get your doctor to check you out for acid reflux. I thought after my first dilation I needed another as recently couldn't keep anything down. Surgeon took me in but everything was fine during the endoscopy so he didn't do the dilation. He changed my medication does ages & gave me anti sickness liquid & asked me to keep to soups & soft foods. All has got so much better. Still not able to eat much but definitely better, less painful & no vomitting. Apparently I have very bad acid reflux & this is stopping food going down & getting digestion. The sickness then makes it rose. Viscious circle.

The prospect of returning to soups and pureed is unbearable!! Maybe the anti sickness is an idea, i feel nauseous every time I eat.

Back