• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Do any bypassers wear a medical id ? if so what does it say ?

Why would you need a medi tag?

Peterborough Guy said:
I just had some silicone bands printed as some members of our support group wanted one. They are just a red band with white text saying 'Post Gastric Surgery' on them.

Hi there Sweet
Just a quick note as wondered where you had got the bands done? And how much would be most grateful if you let me know luv kaz x thanks

Why would you need a medi tag?

In Case of Emergency - if you were taken to an Accident & Emergency Department and were unable to communicate, its important that the staff know that you have had a Gastric Bypass. Many things that may be done in an emergency situation - should not be done to Bypass patients or they would need to be done differently.
Hope that helps.

Am getting a heart necklace with the medi alert logo on the front then u pull it out at the back where u can write all ur info on xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I think they are a great idea, better safe then sorry as they say xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I asked my surgeon about Tags, he was completely perplexed as to why I'd want to wear one.

His opinion is that medi tags are for those likely to be found collapsed with a medical condition... and as I would never be found collapsed due to a bypass operation it was totally unnessesary.

I asked my surgeon about Tags, he was completely perplexed as to why I'd want to wear one.

His opinion is that medi tags are for those likely to be found collapsed with a medical condition... and as I would never be found collapsed due to a bypass operation it was totally unnessesary.

Hi Sarah,

I don't have mine for a medical condition but it was really more the unexpected situation of say " Being Hit By A Bus!"

An interesting question. I have not thought of that. But, I suppose in case of a big emergency it does make sense.

Hi All,

I did wonder about the possibilties of "just in case" senario and wanted to get an ID necklace. Unfortunatley I am allergic to the metals that are used for those id necklaces and bracelets. I wonder if I could get surgical steel ID necklace/bracelet?? My late hubby used to have and SOS id bracelet because he was a heart patient. I have just recently found out I have Ischaemic heart (whatever that means) and with the gastric bypass I would not want to be given meds that could possibily harm me. Unfortunatley, I was given meds I was allergic to, simply because my allergy was missed when reading my notes. Luckily for me, the meds only caused a severe rash and not life threatening. :( x

I wear one because I am diabetic, hopefully be able to get rid of it soon :) I can't see the benefits of wearing one just because we have had bariatric surgery. I don't think there are any drugs or treatment that would impair us or need to be done differently because we have had this, if there is please let me know (obviously want to be safe too :). )

I wear one because I am diabetic, hopefully be able to get rid of it soon :) I can't see the benefits of wearing one just because we have had bariatric surgery. I don't think there are any drugs or treatment that would impair us or need to be done differently because we have had this, if there is please let me know (obviously want to be safe too :). )

Can't have blind NG tubes or nsaids or sugars xx

I have a leather ID bracelet from here: ICE Gems Medical Alert Jewellery, Medical Bracelets and Medical ID Pendants - icegems.co.uk (bought 'just in case' but hardly ever worn!) It has my NHS number, No blind NG tube, No nsaids, no sugar.
I was sent a free 'dog tag' with my order and use this as a keyring.
Looking back I think I was worrying too much about things and can't see it ever being needed post-bypass..but then I just might get hit by a bus as others have said!!

But if you were hit by a bus what would they do differently for you as a bypasser than they would for a non bypasser?

Back