• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Do you get more illnesses?

mandym1

I now have probably the worst cold/flu Ive ever had... possibly just coincidence but I'm 3 months out of surgery. Ive been off work all week and doubt I will be back in until next week. This got me thinking. Do you find you get more colds etc.. since your bypass? Or do you get less?

I would think u are likely to get more, because of the way the bypass affects ur body.

Do you take all ur vitamins and minerals

Hope you feel much better soon, I haven't had my op yet but I get my colds and flus and coughs than a small country lol.

X

I would think u are likely to get more, because of the way the bypass affects ur body.

Do you take all ur vitamins and minerals

Hope you feel much better soon, I haven't had my op yet but I get my colds and flus and coughs than a small country lol. X

Yes I take all my suppliments but its the time of year for these nasty colds so might be un-related. Its just so much worse than I'm used to x

I think colds and flus are getting worse last year about this time I was in bed for 3 weeks so ill. Now they make me get flu jabs not good as I hate needles.

How are work been with you are u havin any problems. I mentioned to mine that u might be having an op soon as they said they might sack me !

X

Work were very supportive about my surgery I had no problems. I cant believe they said they might sack you surely they cant do that? This is hard enough without that added pressure. x

Funny you say that, but I've been so sick this past month since my surgery (though I had a band)! Had an ear infection, some kind of stomach bug and now I've got a horrible head cold that's making me feel really dizzy *lol*
I think my body is still trying to get over the whole thing and my immune system is lower than usual - I do take my vitamins and stuff but there's only so much they can do. Trying to eat well and keep hydrated, and suppose that's all you can do!

I think it's because your body is working hard after the operation to get it back to "normal". From my experience, although still a WLS pre-opper I have had several operations in the last 4 years, your body is working on fixing the major upheaval and your imune system is low so you become susceptible to colds, for me even a small cut can take longer to heal. I am probably talking rubbish but it's just the way I see it.

Ive never been so healthy Mandy,you are just unlucky to of caught the bug hun!

I think so too Maz, as before this bug I had never felt better. It just got me thinking x

You would think that as we're not taking in as many nutrients as people who don't have a restricted eating plan, that they would have talked to us about the potential for things to go wrong with our immune systems . . . or at least tell us that we may be more susceptible to various bugs etc

I think I will ask my GP about the flu jab too.. cant believe it hasnt crossed my mind before now. I havent had a cold/flu like this before and I am really struggling. I dont have a cough but if I clear my throat the back of my ribs really hurt??... I will try and see my GP tomorrow x

Anyone with reduced immunity or any illness that requires more care should have a Flu Jab anyway............guess we should all get it really !!! x

Back