• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

do you still fell hungry ?...

mammyjuls1979

Hi I am in for the ROUX-EN-Y GASTRIC BYPASS and I was wanting to now of people who have had it do e do you still fell hungry after the bypass
Do you still get that hunger and starving felling were you want to eat
As that's the main thing I am worried about is that I will have this and still fell really hungry and want to eat

nafpnd

Thanks for asking this question, it's one of my main concerns, cravings and eating when full although almost a year on tier 3 has helped me deal with the cravings for the most part, I do have my bad moments and this concerns me still. Hope to hear some feedback from people who faced this issue prior to surgery.

Lollyowen

I had the mini bypass at Sunderland 3 months ago and I now do feel hunger when I get home from work I am deffo ready for my tea X

sophiapink100

Hey

I had a sleeve. Head hunger never leaves, you just have to learn to control it. Yes I do get hungry if I don't eat for a long period of time. But this didn't kick in until around 9 months post op.

Hope that helps.

Sophie

oodles83

Hiya, I had my bypass in June last year. For the first few months I felt no hunger at all, but I could tell when I needed to eat as I felt a bit empty and weak. I did feel occasional hunger if I had gone all day without eating. Now I find I feel hunger at normal times - especially when I get in from work. But now just a small amount of food feeds me and carries me through to bedtime, and I do go through stages of getting home, raiding the fridge and finding there's nothing I want to eat so I have some sliced chicken just to keep me going. Before I would have eaten crisps and sandwiches and pasta until I could no longer move - way past the point of fullness.

I also find during the day at work if I'm hungry or bored I have a milky coffee or tea and I feel sated until meal time.

I do get cravings for bad food, but luckily for me cheese makes me ill now. So no pizza for me, which is the thing I want the most!! Now I'm 10 months out I have to be stricter with myself because I've discovered bad things I can eat easily: biscuits (pretty sure I could eat like 100 at a time but I'm not trying it!), non-oily crisps, butter, potatoes. All of these things appeal to me more than the things I actually do eat, but I only have them occasionally. And nowadays it's more a case of wanting to eat, rather than needing to. Bad habits definitely creep back in, like snacking. But I snack on good things (vegetables, nuts) rather than crisps. The loss from the early days when you don't want to eat at all gives you the motivation to stick at it :) and because you're used to less food, a huge meal no longer has the appeal. Like I won't buy a sandwich (even though I love bread) because the time it takes to eat it and the effort needed is too much bother for something I know I shouldn't have. If I have no other options I'll buy one and eat the filling only.

So it will take a while but the hunger will come back. You just have to make smart choices as much as possible! But yes by the time you get there hopefully you're in a new routine and have more motivation to keep on going :)

nafpnd

thanks for the feedback everyone, I am hoping to be among those who loose their appetite initially and hopefully by the time it returns would have adopted some good habits like oodles suggests...

Kar8858

I'm with Sophia..your head still screams at you to eat crap at times but you have to listen to your stomach and fill it with protein. I still feel hunger and I know when it's time to eat as I start to burp. I eat every few hours and that works for me. I'm lucky head hunger can't win as my stomachs too small to eat any rubbish.

Hi I had RNY bypass 3 month ago I do feel hungry but don't eat much as feel nausea quite a bit - you will find a small amount will satisfy any hunger you have and if you over eat you will only do it once as you will not feel great!

los in it

For me its more head hunger than belly hunger its all about "listening"and working out which is which , not always easy if I give into the head hunger im finding I need a taster than a whole of something

Hi :)

I think everyone is different i had my bypass a year ago
and i still don't get hungry,
i have to remind myself to eat !
Whereas loads say they get hungry :\
Danni :) x