• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Never hungry

cherub461

I am having a real problem. Ever since I had my bypass (about nine weeks ago) I just don't want to eat, I'm never hungry and have no appetite whatsoever, I have to virtually force myself to eat so as to get enough protein in and I'm doing it the clock rather than by hunger. This is so depressing. Does anyone else have this? How do you cope with it?

I'm 4 wks post op and I'm the same. I only eat because I know my body needs fuel to run, I also do it by clock and only have 3 meals a day most of the time no snacks.

Thanks for your replies. If someone had told me 10 weeks ago that I wouldn't want to eat I wouldn't have believed them!!!

Yeah am the same,I'm now nearly 15 weeks and still never hungry which I'm pleased about,otherwise I think the amount of food we can manage would not satisfy me so its a good job really.I can eat most types of food now so I tend to go for things that are tasty and not boring.always eating my protein first.Think I like the principal of eat to live instead of living to eat.x

Enjoy! it won't last forever. I still don't get hunger like I use too but I do get the odd twinge if I go too long without eating. In the beginning I think we worry too much, just try and make time to eat your planned meals and eventually you will get more of an appetite for different foods. Your body starts giving you more signals about needing to eat as time goes on :) x

It's because the lower stomach (the bit they staple off) produces ghrelin. Ghrelin is what is sent to our brain to tell us we're hungry. Post surgery our new stomachs do not produce ghrelin, which is why the majority of bypass patients don't feel physical hunger.

Sounds great to me! Imagine having surgery only to feel hungry all the time :/ And now you are eating to live instead of living to eat - as Edge posted earlier :) x

Thanks folks. I know I shouldn’t complain, I’m so lucky to not have the hunger but I wish I had some sort of appetite, it’s miserable forcing food down just because you have to. It really wouldn’t bother me if I never ate again.

I remember this all too well,
I got a bit worried as I had to force myself to eat.
2 and a half years later its a different story!
Hunger will return don't you worry!

Sounds like it will pass. I didn't mean to sound unsympathetic and I hope a very small appetite is with you soon :)

Have you all had the bypass? Or are there any sleevies on this thread that have felt the same after their op? xx

I'm a sleever, I felt that way at the beginning but now I enjoy my meals so don't panic. Enjoy it while you can and the weight is flying off.

It's strange isn't it. Considering food used to dominate my thoughts most of the time, it's just not been important for the last few days and, like you, I've been timing my intake to make sure i eat. In fact, I've eaten so little since Thursday last week, I'm amazed I'm still upright. I'm guessing it will pass, but it should speed weight loss. Not that anyone would anyone would notice, the swelling is making me look slightly pregnant!!

I'm over 18mths post op & only feel head hunger not physical hunger. I still eat by the clock as I can easily skip meals if I'm not careful which isn't good. I regularly have a protein bar to ensure I get enough protein in as I was leaving it until the evening & having a pint of milk enforce bed just often fell asleep before I finished it so went back to a daily protein bar. Choosing what to have each day is a challenge but I now have a selection of meals I enjoy that are my daily basics & occasionally I throw caution to the wind & have something different. I can smell delicious food smells & love them but not get that urge to eat its great. It doesn't mean I'm perfect I lapse & have naughty things when the head hunger demons raise their heads but I manage them as well as I can but am still learning how to deal with them. Family challenges over my first year that continue still stopped me focussing on these earlier & so am trying hard to get there now & start exercising to tone some if those wobbly bits.
Its a tough learning curve but one worth being on.

I am just over 17 month post and I feel no hunger, just my head thinks I should be eating, you have to find a routine at first so that your body gets the nutrients it needs to heal and start to burn off the layers of fat we have accumulated over the years. I am dreading the hunger returning it scares me . xx

Head hunger is bad though! I only get it for bad things. DH always knows when I need a re-fuel as, allegedly, I become very tetchy and unreasonable. I've been eating because it's meal time and trying to finish what's on my plate, and can certainly fit in more these last 3 weeks or so ! I think I need to stop trying to eat what's there and start listening to my full indicator more.
Don't get hungry but have foods that I really enjoy now, which is quite recent.
If I'm busy or absorbed I still completely forget to eat.

Back