• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Do you still need to diet after lap band?

sap

Hi everyone, I know this may sound stupid but......do you still have to diet after having a lap band op?? I presumed that because you are so restricted, you wouldn't need to calorie/point count etc??
X

I don't know about calory or point counting, but I know that you still have two pay attention to what you eat no matter what surgery you have. Surgery is going to help you with food quantity, but you still have two make quality choices. I hope that helps.

Hi, u tend to stick to 1000-1200 calories and stick to a small plate with 1/4 protein 1/4 carbs and rest veg/salad. A lot of people use my fitness pal app to monitor protein and cals. :)

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

I count every cal/fat/protein that's passes my lips so that will be a defo yes x

Yes you definitely have to diet following the op. I think the dietician would prefer you to think of it as a lifestyle change. Its hard because the band does not affect whats going on in your head (ie head and mouth hunger) so willpower is still needed. xx

yes you have to watch what you eat, especially as it can take a while to even get to a point of restriction and while getting to that point through having your fills, you have to watch what you eat.

Like snack, I watch everything that I eat, certain ratio of protein to carbs, a limit of 1100 cals but aim for around 1000. Having the band, I could actually eat anything I wanted and to any amount I wanted, even at almost 12 weeks post op I still do not have restriction. It takes a lot of willpower and making a change to the things that you eat. There is nothing to stop you eating high calorie foods and as such if you don't make those changes, you will think the band isn't working. It would, but its the choices of the food you eat that make it work . . .ie you!

The band isn't the answer to losing weight, its simply a tool to help you lose weight, and how it works and how well it works is very dependent upon you, your lifestyle, your food and exercise choices.

Hello there

I dont diet in a sense of the word ( I am 2 & half years out by the way) but it is about making the right food choices, no point having a band if your going to eat choc/crisps and sweets and takeaways every night ( not saying that u do just speaking in general) because the band does not do all the work you have to work with it for it to work (hope that makes sense) and it does help with portion control once ample restricton has been met - Hope this helps BlueDiamond xx

Thank you so much for all of your comments!!

I am just sick of dieting.....Which I am sure most people are but I booked to have the band so I don't have to "diet"!! I can cope with eating healthily but have had enough of counting things!!
Well it's abit late now anyway as I have booked & paid for my op for Tuesday so there is no going back!! Haha

Thanx again everyone x
S x

I think the band is the hardest of the surgeries, you deffo need to diet, good luck :) x

Ye you still have to watch what you eat,

I was the same sick of dieting, but the band does make it a lot easier in my opinion.

I find that I am scared of cocking anything up so haven't eat any crap! To be honest I am satisfied with my healthy meals x xx

Try and get as much research done as u can between now and your op , I love my band and I'm 6 stone down but please please be aware it is still very hard work , I would say the band does 20 percent of the work the other 80 percent is down to you , don't mean to be negative but there have been a few ppl that go into this surgery not understanding it and they are very disappointed with the results as long as you go into this aware that you will have to change your diet for life and be prepared for some hard work you'll be fine but if u think your going to be filled up after a mouthful of food,never feel hungry and eat what you want you will be very very disappointed ,good luck with your op everyone's always around to give you advice or a kick up the bum if needed :) I'm sure you ll love your band as we do xxxx

I'm gonna be totally honest, I am thinking of joining slimming world!!

Just to keep me on track with healthy choices.

For instance it limits the bready things, I have been having a pitta every morning for brekkie then maybe croutons on salad with lunch. I know if I was on slimming world I couldn't, I would have to have a bit of sweet potato with my salad.

And also I have a cereal bar on an afternoon, really I would be better having crunchy fruit. So you do still have to be really aware of your choices.

Don't get me wrong I am doing great with my food choices but it is little things like this that I think will help me long term x

I have my 2nd dietician call this afternoon as well so gonna see what she thinks about slimming world x

Back