• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

im seriously starting to question the lap band

Kelly your gonna have a knife cutting into you either way! I too also believe, from your posts, that you will regret not giving both ops serious research. I think it's a marvellous idea you go to the support meeting Liz suggested. You should speak to people who've had the operation with your surgeon as well as us on here! I know i did and immediately after meeting Sambuca and Tesmerelda (to name a couple) i felt confident in my surgeon and his ability!

You seriously need to think long and hard. x

this forum is brilliant... i have to say i do feel a little at ease by your comments.... i will think long and hard about the band and bypass.... i do feel a little silly saying what i said.. but i just cant shake it off that something woud be happen to me because ive chosen to do surgery.... eeek i sound like a nutcase haha i just mean i think im tempting fate but i suppose id be doing that with either op.... im gonna have a long think about things.... can i ask question what is this 'sweet spot' people mention about the band... do they mean because the majority of sweet things slip through?......xxx

I think that by sweet spot they mean you have the right amount of fluid in your band to give the best restriction for yourself, Im pretty sure that is what they mean.
I think that you would be able to get sweet stuff through your band no matter how tight the band is because chocolate etc can melt down and just slip on through the band.
Steph xx

yeh it can steph and ice cream tooo will slip through!! good job thats not my 'thing' :)) x

i do feel a little silly saying what i said.. but i just cant shake it off that something woud be happen to me because ive chosen to do surgery

Kelly Mr Small hasnt lost any patients hun they are a fantastic set of surgeons, you will be fine honetly x

hey liz.... as soon as i said to Mr Blaupuri about it he went.. no no no put that out your head noone has died from bypass lets amke sure we choose the right surgery... so ill wait for next appointment and will see what he has to say from there xx

Kelly do you like chocolate? Crisps? What's your poison that's made you need wls in the first place?

I'm a self confessed chocaholic, if there was a chocaholics anonymous i'd join it! If i had the band i'd still have chocolate and ice cream and cream cakes and jam doughnuts.... the list is endless. If you like me struggle to say no to these then i really don't think a band would suit you! Fear of dumping stops me eating the crap i used too. If however my fear goes i know i wont be able to eat the volumes i used to... I really do love my bypass and am so glad i let my ex husband talk me out of going private to Belgium for a band years ago!

hey hun my thing is crisps and chips!!!!! mmm mmm haha seriously i can eat mounds of them esp chips..... im more of a volume eater to but only really one a night time meal.... i hate sugar on anything dont drink tea coffee or lattes ill eat cake and choc but i can give it a miss and wouldnt miss it....... im training myself now on the bread thing and ive gone all week without it and im doing ok not really missing it xx

Hi Kelly
I had my band on 1st June and so far I am loving it. I haven't had any problems really and I went back to work 6 days after the op. I can eat a fair amount of food and I am being very careful about eating healthily. I think whatever your choice is you have to accept the end of your previous life and the start of a new one. Its also a case of working with whatever you choose rather than trying to outsmart it. I have lost about 2 stone so far and i am happy with that. It's really down to your own eating habits and personal choice but do lots of research and then be happy with your decision. Hope it goes well for you whatever you decide. Jo XX

thanks jo.... glad to hear your story.. and well done on your weight loss xxxx

Kelly the amount of banders thats regretting there choice purely because of "fear of a bypass" is unbelievable it really is i just hope you dont become another 1 of those with our group saying but what if ? good luck what ever you decide hun we will all be here to support you x

so true Liz!....Kelly, I thought bypass was too drastic a choice for me and opted for the band because the recovery time was quicker hence less time off work, but I've ended up having 3 surgeries in just over 1 year due to problems, the most recent was to have a full removal of the band...I so regret not having bypass in the first place :sigh:

the band does work and I did lose over 3 stones whilst I had it though it's not easy by any means...but, had I been bypassed I would have most likely been at a goal weight now instead of still needing to lose another 4 stones :cry:

you have access to a great support network here...make use of them and ask as many questions as you want....you'll be absolutely fine

Bypass for me. Band can be stretched by over eating, it can slip out of place too. If the surgeon thinks that your more suited to a bypass, he's probably right. He'll have recommended it for a reason. If you think you can commit totally to a band go for it. If there is any chance that you'll over eat or comfort eat, you'd be better with the bypass.

Jemx xo

Would just like to add that a bypass pouch can also be stretched by over eating too...;)

It's definitely worth talking to surgeon provider about eating habits. I was a volume eater, so a band was ideal as this becomes a ball and chain to stop you eating large amounts.

You just can't do it once good restriction is found.

But, if you eat all the wrong foods thats where a band will fail. Eat the right thing and weight comes off. Exercise and weight comes off...its down to physics really LOL.

A bypass patient has to change their food choices too, so in a way they are not disimilar. Both offer a chance to eat less. Though a bypass by the very nature of it will allow a faster initial weight loss due to the malabsorption.

My advice - do what is right for you.

When I saw my surgeon I had in mind the band as it was reverseable but as I had diabetes my surgeon wanted to do a bypass. I am so thankful that I went with his choice as I now realise I need a permanent solution. I am a historical yo yo dieter - losing weight and then putting it back on so I will always need something permanent to stop it going on. After seeing a lot of band stories I am glad I had the bypass as it seems a lot less problematic and the hospital appointments don't seem as many. The idea of having a port under my skin didn't appeal either. I am now 7 months out and feel normal in every way. I eat what everyone else does, just smaller portions, and am never sick. But this is a very personal journey and you have to do what your surgeon advises and what you feel comfortable with. I hope you make the best decision for you. Good luck

Hi Kelly. I had my band just over a year ago. I love it. Yes you can eat slider food and yes you can be sick when you eat too quickly or don't chew enough. I was told by Shaw Somers that over a period of years (4 I think - could be less!!) that the weight loss of banders and bypassers evens out - that wasn't the first time I'd heard that. My band has fitted into my life really well. No it's not easy but neither is having a bypass. You must do what is right for you. With any wls there can be problems and ways that you can eat all sorts of things that you shouldn't - but why would you? I had to pay for my surgery so that is a big incentive to keep on track. Please have a good talk with your consultant and/or team - they will help you to come to the right decision for you. Good Luck.

thankyou archies mum... its nice to hear positive band stories...... ive been thinking sooo hard over last few days and i think im gonna stick with the band it was my first choice so ill go with it.... how much have you lost now if you dont mind me asking xx

I'd say mine has been a positive journey with a couple of minor hiccups along the way.

My band suits me too.

I did have a falter not long ago about wishing I could have had a sleeve done but since last fill all is good again and the weight is moving.

I have lost 7 stone in 20 months, it's not as fast as some but its still blooming 7 stone. The most I ever lost on other diets was 4 stone.

Still got a way to go but heck this is not a race, its the rest of my life :)

Back