• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Do you think I'm too old to do this at 54?

Leda

I have several medical complaints due to my weight and I have young grandchildren .I wish I could do more and enjoy them more which is why I want to do this. I really want to see them all grow up! I'm still waiting to attend my first appointment which they said should be January ( mid yorks trust)

Last edited:
not at all Leda! no one is EVER too old to want to change his/her life good luck with all you wish for and welcome to a great website !

Hi Leda. If it helps I had a bypass last Saturday. I am 56 turning 57 next month. I am feeling a bit tender but quite well. Wishing you all the best.

You can't put an age on happiness, no matter how many years we all have left on the crazy planet, it's up to you how you live them! If your unhappy and your health is at risk then why the hell not. Xxx

Welcome Leda & very good luck as you begin your weightloss journey :)

I was banded 5 weeks ago and i'm 49, best thing I ever did! In my opinion & as long as your surgeon is happy then you are never too old to have the life that you deserve, good luck with whatever you decide xx

It's definitely not an age issue! Go for it, give yourself a shot at a healthier and happier life. Good luck. X

My dad was 68 when he had his, he's now 70 and doing things he hasn't done for years and enjoying his life to the full. I'm following in his footsteps and having my bypass on 31/10 so you only live once and it's never too late to make a change xx

I was 64 when i had my bypass, i'm 3 years older, and feel 10 years younger, a lot of people cant beleve how old i am and have more energy than younger people, its the best thing i ever did. you will love running around with the grankids when your daughter is tired.
Good luck it will work out ok xx

I'M over 50 and I'm going for it :)

Thank you all SO much for your support! I have told my daughter my plans and she is very supportive too. She said in my shoes she would do the same (she's slim) but I daren't tell my sons for some reason, maybe scared they'll put me off? My husband is supporting me but wishes that I could do this without surgery. I know I can't, I've tried for too long!

Hi
I know how you feel. The trouble is that people that don't have weight issues just cannot understand why we can't do it on our own. My two girls and husband are the same, but they are going along with it because they know it's what I want. Still makes me feel that I'm a failure somehow.

I thought I was the oldie on here but Wendy beats me!

The older we get the more we owe it to ourselves and others that we live the best life we can. If that means getting help with losing weight then we should go for it.

Including pre op I've lost over 6 stone this year which is the lightest I've been for over 30 years and only wish I had done this years ago!

You will get [plenty of support here for whatever you decide.

I have several medical complaints due to my weight and I have 7 young grandchildren that are very hard work as I just find it so hard when any of them get dropped off to be babysat. I wish I could do more and enjoy them more which is why I want to do this. I really want to see them all grow up! I'm still waiting to attend my first appointment or seminar which they said should be January ( mid yorks trust) I currently weigh 21st 9 down From 22st 7 mid Sept when GP offered me WLS.

I am 61 and 3 weeks ago I had a band...the best thing I have ever done..I payed for both my daughtes to have it done one has lost 6 stone the other 8 stone..wish I had it done with them 3 years ago :D
Go for it!!!!!!

Last edited:
Go for it Leda.
Age is just a number we can't change- weight is a number we can xx

Last edited:
No way, just go for it!!! I'm sure you will have a new lease of life after.
I was at the first seminar last week and someone asked about age, the surgeon said the oldest person he had operated in was in their 70s.

Back