• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Does any one have any nice slow cooker recipes?

Lori1964

My OH has just bought me a slow cooker after hearing that it is good for making meat etc tender after bypass (he is so thoughtful x). Well time for confession... i'm not much of a cook!!:eek: So I was wondering if anyone had any nice bypass friendly recipes that I can try (that aren't too difficult) as the book that has come with it is not very good.

Many thanks :)

Last edited:
Hey Lori,

I have a confession, im a slow cooker freak.. Due to the fact that i am pre-op, i havent got many ideas on healthy reciepes, but here's one i know to start you off..

CHICKEN AND MUSHROOM CURRY.

Ingredients

4 chicken thigh pieces 1 chopped onion 1 tin condensed low fat mushroom soup 150g sliced mushrooms 2 teaspoons curry powder (or to taste) 2 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
Preparation method

1. Fry the chicken in a frying pan to brown it a bit. Place the chicken in the slow cooker. 2. Fry the onions in the frying pan until soft. Add to the chicken. 3. Add the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker and give it a little bit of a stir. Cook for 6 hours.

Hi Marie, many thanks for that it sounds really tasty and soooo simple even I could manage it....:D:D:D

I use my slow cooker a lot. I only brown mince and sausages before putting them in, too much effort for other things!
I make all sorts in mine, literally chop up whatever veg I have and put it in with the meat, some stock, seasoning and herbs, and away I go! I made a sausage casserole this week, browned the sausages then put them in the slow cooker with onion, carrot, mushroom, parsnips, and some baby potatoes. Onion gravy over the top to cover, and some worcester sauce to spice it a little. It was delicious, and so simple!

I use my slow cooker a lot. I only brown mince and sausages before putting them in, too much effort for other things!
I make all sorts in mine, literally chop up whatever veg I have and put it in with the meat, some stock, seasoning and herbs, and away I go! I made a sausage casserole this week, browned the sausages then put them in the slow cooker with onion, carrot, mushroom, parsnips, and some baby potatoes. Onion gravy over the top to cover, and some worcester sauce to spice it a little. It was delicious, and so simple!

I never realised they were so simple to use. When you did the sausage casserole did you use low fat sausages?

Thanks for the link, there are some interesting recipes on there.

Thanks for the replies x

Can I join the 'I love my slow cooker' fan club too? :D It's fantastic, especially for feeding a family of five! I cook allsorts in it too with the favourites being sausage casserole (made with l/f sausages) and meatballs in tomato sauce. My sis in law made a fantastic lamb curry in hers last night but I've yet to get the recipe for that. The only advice I would give is you may need to give hard veggies such as carrots, turnips, potatoes etc a bit of a pre-cook as they take ages to soften.

Enjoy experimenting! :D

Cuppa xx

Lorna, yes I always use low fat sausages. You can make a cowboy casserole in there too.

to feed 4, pack of low fat sausages, browned
pack of bacon, rind removed, dry fried until crispy
diced onion
diced pepper
sliced mushrooms
2 tins chopped tomatoes
tin of baked beans
squirt of BBQ sauce
few drops of tabasco sauce to taste

first stage:
onions, peppers, mushrooms, tinned toms and browned sausages into slow cooker, leave on low for about 4 hours.

2nd stage:
turn up to high and add the bacon, BBQ sauce, tabasco and the baked beans for at least an hour, if not an hour and a half.

eat on it's own for the healthy option, great with rice or bread for those who can eat it.

Main thing I do is chicken stew.

Place 6 skinless and boneless chicken thighs in the bottom of the slow cooker and add the chopped following swede, leek, parsnips, carrots, onion. Add some boiling water, a couple of chicken oxos and a couple of veg oxos and leave on low for about 6 - 7 hours.

Found a good site, its an American site but whats fab is it lists all the protein,fat and carb count in the recipes so thats fab for post op.
I am going to order myself a slow cooker this week as i need to find ways to up my protein.
Hope u find some recipes u like xxx

The Healthy Recipe Finder - Slow Cooker Recipes

Can I join the 'I love my slow cooker' fan club too? :D It's fantastic, especially for feeding a family of five! I cook allsorts in it too with the favourites being sausage casserole (made with l/f sausages) and meatballs in tomato sauce. My sis in law made a fantastic lamb curry in hers last night but I've yet to get the recipe for that. The only advice I would give is you may need to give hard veggies such as carrots, turnips, potatoes etc a bit of a pre-cook as they take ages to soften.

Enjoy experimenting! :D

Cuppa xx

Hi Cuppa

Those suggestions sound fab. I don't suppose you fancy telling me your meatball recipe and the lamb curry from your sis if you get it, these are both things I love but as I say I have never done much in the way of cooking so this is all new to me. Many thanks xx

Lorna, yes I always use low fat sausages. You can make a cowboy casserole in there too.

to feed 4, pack of low fat sausages, browned
pack of bacon, rind removed, dry fried until crispy
diced onion
diced pepper
sliced mushrooms
2 tins chopped tomatoes
tin of baked beans
squirt of BBQ sauce
few drops of tabasco sauce to taste

first stage:
onions, peppers, mushrooms, tinned toms and browned sausages into slow cooker, leave on low for about 4 hours.

2nd stage:
turn up to high and add the bacon, BBQ sauce, tabasco and the baked beans for at least an hour, if not an hour and a half.

eat on it's own for the healthy option, great with rice or bread for those who can eat it.

This sounds scrumpteous I will definately be giving this a go, many thanks Morph

Main thing I do is chicken stew.

Place 6 skinless and boneless chicken thighs in the bottom of the slow cooker and add the chopped following swede, leek, parsnips, carrots, onion. Add some boiling water, a couple of chicken oxos and a couple of veg oxos and leave on low for about 6 - 7 hours.

Hi Samamum, this sound delish as well, but can I ask a really silly question, what do you use to thicken your gravy?? God I sound such a novice..lol !!

Found a good site, its an American site but whats fab is it lists all the protein,fat and carb count in the recipes so thats fab for post op.
I am going to order myself a slow cooker this week as i need to find ways to up my protein.
Hope u find some recipes u like xxx

The Healthy Recipe Finder - Slow Cooker Recipes

Hi Roch, firstly I would like to say welcome back you have been missed by so many, its good to see you posting once again x

Thank you for the link to the site there are some fab recipes on there, why did I not think of looking when I use computers for everything else..lol. It seems so many on here use slow cookers and all love them so don't blame you for joining in!!

Thanks everyone for your help and ideas I really appreciate your help xx

i use mine alot for stews and well everything i can throw in there. 2 thicken gravey i either use bisto powder with a little water and stir in.. or if its not a beefy dish .. the cornflour and water and in 30 or so mins it will thicken

HTH xx

Hi Lori, my meatballs are in tomato sauce. I do sometimes cheat and buy Waitrose mini meatballs which they often have on offer when you buy two packs. I grill or fry (using a squirt of fry light) the meatballs just to seal them, then transfer them to slow cooker. I also gently fry some onions, garlic and mushrooms then transfer. Then I add 2 cans of Heinz tomato soup, can of chopped toms, any veg I happen to have to hand, sometimes some pulses too, dash of worscester sauce, tomato concentrate, sprinkle of chilli powder and lots of seasoning. I cook on med for around 5hrs or more, throwing in some fresh herbs 1/2hr before serving. Serve with mashed potato and green veg. Deelish!

Cuppa xx

mmm cuppa sounds nice.. uve done so well on ur weight loss - check u!! well done hun xx

Got another Cuppa slow cooker recipe here...

Lean pork chops (I used 6)
3 carrots and 2 parsnips, cubed and par boiled to soften slightly
2 large onions, sliced thickly
Button mushrooms
Stock made up with 2 cubes, any flavour
White wine, 1/2 cup
1 tbsp Brown Sugar Splenda
2 or 3 garlic cloves
2tbsp plain flour
Salt & pepper
Fry light

Place carrot, parsnip and mushrooms in slow cooker.
Mix flour, salt & pepper together on a plate.
Dip chops into flour mix then fry (can dry fry if using good non-stick pans) until brown on outside only. Transfer to slow cooker.
In same pan gently cook onions, garlic & sugar until caramelised. Add some of the stock and wine, deglaze pan scraping brown bits off bottom, then transfer to slow cooker.
Add rest of stock, wine and seasoning.

Cook on med for 6-8 hrs and serve with mashed potato and green veg.

Deeeeelish!
Cuppa xx

I always cook meat on the bone in mine - throw in curry sauce and meat and onions. Cook all day and mmmm

There is a briiliant (american) site, free to use that will give you recipes but also help you calculate the cals, minerals etc etc of 'everything' you eat. eg if you make a chicken casserole, you can type in (or find ready calculated ingredients) all ingredients and quantity you use to make the whole thing and it will give you your per protion amounts. it can be a bit laborious the first time if you are using 'man made' ingredients, but you can save everything ... i usually have a ham salad sand for lunch, first time i added all the details from the loaf of bread and how many slices it had, same with the ham and mayo, added the fresh ingredients and voila, it gave me all the cals, fibre, fat, sugars etc etc for the sandwich and saved it... Sorry not a very good explanation but a site i wholeheartedly recommend.. eek hope im allowed to??? sparkepeople.com

As i said its a lot of work to start with but soooooooooo worth it in the end. If im honest, for me...it gave me more of an insight to what i was eating and something to do instead of eating 'maybe just a little more....'

These all sound yummy may ask for one for my birthday to join the club again had one years ago pre the kids when it went to the great kitchen in the sky. Never brought a new one may be time to reinvest in one.

Back