• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I was wondering....

tranquil_butterfly

There has been something bothering me for a while now so I am throwing this out to my fellow bandits to see if it is just me or something anyone else is experiencing.

I am over a year out now. The hospital are very pleased with how things have gone so far in terms of weight loss - it is slow and steady. I certainly know the surgery has transformed my life. However I am experiencing some odd side effects. I have a hernia which may have been there post op but has certainly made its presence felt post op. Since the summer of 2011 I have been reacting badly to certain foods that I used to be ok with. In the summer they thought my band may have slipped but this was found on investigation not to be the case. Once they were satisfied all was ok they gave me a good fill and since then I have had problems with being sick and other symptoms with foods very similar to dumping that bypassers can have. Eggs and chicken are the worst culprits but fish too. Red meat I am ok with. Today I tried a one egg omlette and it did not stay down but I had the shakes and felt like I needed to sleep - I resisted as I was working from home and had to keep going. This has happened quite a few times when things have not stayed down. I wondered if I was imagining it but how I felt today has got me worried and wondering. I did have a defill in December after my last fill as it was clearly too much so I do not think it is due to the band being too tight.

It cannot be dumping but I was schedulesd to have a bypass and they tried to do it and could not so fitted a band instead. I am wondering if something may have happened that they have not told me about. They took a long time to explain to me what happened during the op and although I remain a little suspicious I am not going to have any choice but to accept their explanation. So is it just me or has anyone else experienced anything similar?

I have an appointment next week so will be raising it with them.

tranquil x

i have no idea of an answer, but will watch the thread, i hope you get the answers you need/want x

Can you check your blood sugar next time you have an episode? Could be hypoglycaemia.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

hiya Tb I have not experienced anything like you have, wishing you all the best for your appointment next week and hope u get the answers you need, I am not sure on the legal aspects side of things if but are we are not allowed as patients too see our medical records??? If anything it would put your mind at rest. All the best - Julie xx

Hi TB, You're entitled to see your medical notes so ask for access to them under the Freedom of Information Act. You need to be specific,and say ,for example, you want access to all notes, records, photos, x-rays, scans or data/information of any kind from
( start date of your journey) to ( maybe beginning Jan 2012) including all records relating to your weight loss surgery.
It's very difficult for hospitals ( or any other public servants) to keep information from us, but we do need to know the right questions to ask.
Hope you feel better soon hun
xx

You can ask to see your medical records next time you go to clinic!Ask as many questions you need answering.Its your body and health,also ask to have the hernia done.It was the best part of my wls such a great feeling to be free of it!Maz x

TB as i know you are aware you can see your records and you can pay to have a copy of them. Not sure of the cost, i know when i was at Physio we charged £20..

I hope you get the answers you need as it sounds very odd xx

TB - I found this on an NHS website:

Food intolerance

Around 1 in 35 people with a gastric band develop a food intolerance, often many years after their surgery.
A food intolerance is when your body is unable to tolerate certain foods, such as red meat or green salad, resulting in a number of unpleasant symptoms such as:

The reason why a food intolerance can develop after surgery is unclear. In most cases, avoiding foods that trigger a reaction should help improve symptoms.

Doesnt say why but it seems its quite common. I dont do well with some higher fat yoghurts.

Maybe the being sick is making you hypo - hope you get some answers at your appointment x

Hi TB, You're entitled to see your medical notes so ask for access to them under the Freedom of Information Act. xx

No - not under the FoIA - as any information released under this act is available to the world! You may be thinking of a Subject Access Request.

Thanks for all the replies and it is very interesting. I am glad I am not going mad and imagining things:D. I will question the consultant about the possibilities armed with the info from here - I will do a bit more research on the suggestions so thank you all.

As for access to my records - if they were going to reveal anything I would have asked for them already - but they know what I do for a living and they will not say anything that is going to hang them. It took them a while to come up with a feasible reason as to what went wrong and I know it was because they were thinking about what to say to me.

tranquil x

Back