• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Does anyone know

karenlouisemee

I know this is a little morbid but as my surgery date gets closer my mind turns to not making it through the op. does anyone know anyone that hasnt made it through a bypass op. originally i was going to have mr ahmed to do my surgery but on my admission letter it says mr leeder me being me checked him out and the first thing that popped up was that he was responcible for a big enquiry last yeas when a young woman died after a gastric bypass this has made me very uneasy. i wish i hadnt look him up now.:sigh:

i dont know of anyone who has died, and i havent heard of anyone either, if this surgeon was the subject of an inquiry, and is still operating, then it must have been found that it wasnt down to him, or he wouldnt be allowed to carry on, it could have been anything that caused her death, and needent have been anyones fault. if anyone was found to be at fault at all, they wont be allowed to carry on with whatever they were doing. so i wouldnt worry too much about it, if you think of the amount of ppl who have this surgery, and thats the only one weve heard of, its a very rare occurance. good luck with your journey hun. hugs xx

Hi Karen,

Im in a similar position to you, my op is on 20th october, actually I poster a thred last night about fear of dying because it is constantly in my mind as the op draws closer.

I actually toyed with asking that very question "Does anyone know someone who died, any poster here that did not survive the op" but in the end did not ask it because I dont know that I could deal easily with the answers, it just makes it more real/ possible.

cant offer any great words of reassurance because as I said, my head is a mess with thoughts of that. But just wantd to let you know everyone seems to feel this way prior to surgery.

stay positive and think positive thoughts

Hi Karen i'm not aware of anyone who has died, the feelings you are having are normal and i remember posting something similar myself before my op, the way you are feeling isnt silly its ok to be scared xxxx

Oh dear, we dont know what to do, which way to turn. Our heads are in turmoil. I feel sick with the thought of it all, and just want to cry at times. If im to survive at all till my op in December i must get focused, right now! Got to get back to the gym tomorrow and start looking forward to this op or im going to make myself ill. Good Luck to you all. Im thinking of you all too xxx

Hi Peeps,

We all have fears, but truly there is no need to worry. As has already been sensibly suggested; if he's still practising it means he's cleared of any charges put against him. I wonder if his being under inquiry just formed part of the inquest process.

Really no point in worrying as you're heading for the operating table aren't you? You've had no inclining to cancel the op so subconsciously your less frightened than you think you are. What use is it asking whether people know of others who have died on the operating table? It's really counter-productive and not helpful - I'll even go as far as saying that it would be irresponsible for anyone here to feed your fears by telling you if they DID know of someone who died on the table.

Occupy yourself, clear your mind and think about life post-op, especially the first few days after the operation as it takes lots of adjustment and you will need to prepare for the foods/liquids you'll be consuming.

Take care the both of you :)

Hi Peeps,

We all have fears, but truly there is no need to worry. As has already been sensibly suggested; if he's still practising it means he's cleared of any charges put against him. I wonder if his being under inquiry just formed part of the inquest process.

Really no point in worrying as you're heading for the operating table aren't you? You've had no inclining to cancel the op so subconsciously your less frightened than you think you are. What use is it asking whether people know of others who have died on the operating table? It's really counter-productive and not helpful - I'll even go as far as saying that it would be irresponsible for anyone here to feed your fears by telling you if they DID know of someone who died on the table.

Occupy yourself, clear your mind and think about life post-op, especially the first few days after the operation as it takes lots of adjustment and you will need to prepare for the foods/liquids you'll be consuming.

Take care the both of you :)

wise words x

Wise words indeed.

Thanks cah ching,

A nice no nonsense post, nothing like a reality check to refocus the mind, and for me you are spot on, I'm still having the op so no point fretting myself into a frenzy in the next 13 days. I'm GOING TO make it through and I'm GOING to lose this weight!

Thanks hun, I really needed to hear that.

so Pull yourself together Zionaka!

You are both right to be a wee bit concerned, as it wouldnt be natural, having any operation is a risk.

I did watch the fat doctor and they operate on lots of patients, being honest one young boy died, but he was exceedingly overweight, had serious heart conditions and would of died in time without the op because of the heart condition. He and his mother were warned that they had more risk but basically had no choice as he was going to die anyway.

I think you need to get it into perspective I have never heard of anyone on here dying and there a lots of members here.

Good luck girls I am sure you will be ok.

i know on a Fat Doctor episode they showed one guy who never made it through....shaw somers was the surgeon and the op went perfectly but he had complications coming round from the aneasthetic, he was always aware he was a higher risk patient and was willing to risk it as he had no life the way he was.

considering the type of patients they all work with they are all amazing doctors in my opinion

Iv decided that i dont want to read any more stories about sad, awful and unimaginable and horrid things that may or may not happen with wls. Nope, im only going to focus on the future and how successful all our ops will be. Im not watching any more wls operations done on tv. New start, new approach, new beginnings for us all xxxx

Again perfectly natural feelings to have. I have only heard of one death and that was due to a pre exsisting heart condition and the gentleman died as his heart could not take anesthetic. Positive mental attitude ladies, this will change your lives so much for the better and you will both be claiming your places on the losers bench that we are keeping warm for you just now. Big hugs to both of you x

People, chillax! Cah-ching has said exactly what i was thinking. Just because the surgeon is mentioned as part of the investigation it does not mean in any way there is blame at his doorstep. If he was suspected of being incompetent they would not let him operate now...

It's normal to worry about your own mortality when faced with surgery, best thing you can do is focus on the important things like the lifestyle changes you will be making. If you have time now and haven't already also start going for daily walks, if you can manage 30 minutes walk a day that would be good, if you can manage 2 x 30 minutes a day (for those close to surgery) and get your fitness increasing get those lungs pumping that could only be of benefit.

Good luck and be positive xx

Back