• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Does anyone use any kind of walking aid !!

Roch

Shrinking away nicely :)
Hi all the past 3/4 weeks my mobility has gone downhill dramatically my legs are just buckling a few times a day on a good day and i cant walk round the supermarket without holding on to a trolley.

I was just wondering if any of u use any kind of walking aid and if so where did you get it from and what weight does it go up to.
If i start using an aid like this will this delay any chances of surgery as they may say i am not fit enough for surgery as there is no way that i can have that happen.
I know that i have probs like severe sciatica and osteo arthritis in both knees poss Apnoea which i get the results at the end of the week but apart from that i have no serious medical conditions like, diabetes and high bp.
So will my mobility probs which are getting worse hamper me in any way with surgery.
Thanks and take care luv Roch xx

They shouldn't love if they are musculoskeletal, though if it was your heart that was causing you problems it would need consieration.

I have Arther in both knees and my neck and it didn't make any difference to me.

I don't use a stick though really I should, but I'm too vane I guess. How dumb is that?

Sorry to hear of your difficulty lovely xxx

They shouldn't love if they are musculoskeletal, though if it was your heart that was causing you problems it would need consieration.

I have Arther in both knees and my neck and it didn't make any difference to me.

I don't use a stick though really I should, but I'm too vane I guess. How dumb is that?

Sorry to hear of your difficulty lovely xxx

Thanks K its def not my heart thats pumping fine lol xxx

I guessed it was, so you will be fine hun xxx

I walk with a stick and, to be honest, it was something that my consultant latched onto as a reason why I SHOULD have WLS :D:confused: (If I had known, I would have borrowed my mum's electric wheelchair :D)

I have sciatica and arthritis in my knees and 2 frozen shoulders (probably related to the pressure on my sciatic nerve). Thank God for Voltarol, that's what I say.

I got my stick from Boots and it is a snazzy fold-up version that looks very impressive when I produce it and open it up like wielding a sword (small things eh :rolleyes:). There is a local shop near me that sells all kinds of disability aids from scooters to things to help you put your socks on and they have some really funky ones with multicoloured floral patterns all over. Thinking of getting one!

love

TillyBob

Roch, hi. My own opinion is crutches will be more supportive than a stick as you will get more support on two and balance your weight. The best people to help is an urgent call to the people you had the phone consultation for occupational therapy. Explain the situation, that you can hardly get up from the armchair to the kitchen to prepare a meal, etc, and the crutches will not be just for outside, but also indoors too. I personally think one walking stick may not give that much more confidence for you. You know the sort of crutches I mean - the ones with a handle, and something that goes round your arm to give support. You will be using your arms for support rather than your legs doing the work. I am not sure how long it will be before you are issued with them, but you must stress the urgency to them. I really hope you get sorted out with whatever occupational health feel would be best for you.

I just found this link to show you what I mean, but there are loads of places on google that do it. Just google "crutches disability London"

http://www.betterlifehealthcare.com/view_product.php?prodID=281

Last edited:
befor i had my op i spent 50% of my time using a crutch as i had a damaged achellies tendon that just wouldnt heal properly i got to the point i couldnt walk on it so went everywhere very slowly on a pushbike as the weight came off post op its got so much better i can now run for 4 mins[not alot but for me like climbing a mountain] i got my crutch first time from a+e when it my ankle went swollen i went to them rather than gp as i was getting nowhere with him. and second time the physio gave them to me , you can buy walking sticks in chemist if you think you need them but id say go see your gp and ask to refered to a physio as some conditions can be made worse by using aids

I have a walking stick which i bought off an internet shopping site - it has a pink and black onyx type handle and i feel quite swish with it. I have suffered with severe fibromyalgia since 2000 so i have found that my mobility has suffered as the years have gone on (i also have a wheelchair for longer distances as my stamina is not great).

I am hoping that my symptoms will get better as i lose my weight - as yet i am still in pain but i haven't given up yet xx

I was in a chair for 1.5 yrs after my crash and crutches for nearly a year after that. Crutches give you sores where you dn't want them!

Your local red cross hire out wheelchairs for a couple of quid and they do make them for the heavier person - google it or look in your yellow pages. Also your local Ortho hospital loan out chairs etc.

I have sciatica (damages the nerve when I smashed my pelvis) and arthritis in my hips now so I know your pain and sympathise - but if you ever want to give up the Western treatment, my saving grace was having Kineisiology on mine and it has changed my life.

Hi, i use a stick "one of those floral ones" i have several all different colours, and they fold up to fit in my hand bag. There one of my fashion accessories, and you can poke things with it.

Hi all thanks for all ur post, think will def call the OC tomorrow and also look online and maybe check out local mobility shops thanks for all ur advice will keep ya posted xxx

See an occupational therapist through your council office,they will come to your home and do an asessment of what you can/cant do and give you a walking frame or wheelchair.You can get help with bathing aids,cooking aids,things to help you dress etc even ramps and showers or extensions for groundfloor bathrooms.

See an occupational therapist through your council office,they will come to your home and do an asessment of what you can/cant do and give you a walking frame or wheelchair.You can get help with bathing aids,cooking aids,things to help you dress etc even ramps and showers or extensions for groundfloor bathrooms.

Mornin Bigandbouncy i am waiting for the OC to call me as my doc referred me 4 weeks ago and then a week or so later they called me and did a telephone assessment for bout 45 mins and i got a letter back saying that had banded me into the second highest band which was substantial and i would see them within 4 weeks, but since then things have deteriorated so i am going to call them today and see what they can do and if they can come round earlier.
Thanks hun and have a good day xxx

i expect i'm talking out my arris here, but what about like some of the other guys have said, renting out a mobility scooter, or an electric wheelchair, it'll give you all the support you need, gives you your mobility back till such times you are back on your feet, get a stick/crutches as well, so that if you need to get out/off the chair scooter, you have that support too???? could be talking utter tripe, but just a thought my dear

i expect i'm talking out my arris here, but what about like some of the other guys have said, renting out a mobility scooter, or an electric wheelchair, it'll give you all the support you need, gives you your mobility back till such times you are back on your feet, get a stick/crutches as well, so that if you need to get out/off the chair scooter, you have that support too???? could be talking utter tripe, but just a thought my dear

Mornin Marky how r ya feeling hun, wat is it 8 days now post op are u feeling ok.
Ty for ur post am really not 2 sure what to do but am def going to call the OC now and tell them things have got worse and see how soon they can see me.
U were not talking out of ur arris :) not the slightest.
Have a good day and ty xxx

Mornin Marky how r ya feeling hun, wat is it 8 days now post op are u feeling ok.
Ty for ur post am really not 2 sure what to do but am def going to call the OC now and tell them things have got worse and see how soon they can see me.
U were not talking out of ur arris :) not the slightest.
Have a good day and ty xxx

hi love, had the op 7 days ago now, feeling fine more or less....still a little twinge now and again, but nowt to worry about, drove my car yesterday so i could pop to the taxi firm's office, and then went to the park to walk the dogs with the o/h, 1st time in 4 years up here i've done that....was a little bit tired after that, but to be expected i guess....as for you, you're going thro the mill a tad at the mo....you'll get there, you know you will....but it's the meantime when all is falling around you (no pun intended!! :D) where you need that support, i would seriously consider a scooter, you could get to the shops etc, even walk the dogs, all the stuff you can't do, and the OC should be able to sort that out for you as they should a pair of crutches for the little bits you need to do out of the scooter, give it some serious thought my love...i also suppose the anticipation for your sleep results must be killing ya too...never rush themselves do they....keep your chin up love, we're all here for ya!!

I've got a thing called a walking stool, like a stick but it unfolds to a seat on a tripod. It's rigid , not canvas, great for country walks as I can sit down and rest my knees every 5 minutes. Plenty on E bay, but watch out, some have tiny seats. Mine's old and heavy, made of steel, but I recently got one for my neighbour (who is small, but has arthritis) It was made of aluminium, very light, with a small seat. However it took my weight even better than my own, but the seat was too small for my huge arris. Anything from £10 -£60.

hi love, had the op 7 days ago now, feeling fine more or less....still a little twinge now and again, but nowt to worry about, drove my car yesterday so i could pop to the taxi firm's office, and then went to the park to walk the dogs with the o/h, 1st time in 4 years up here i've done that....was a little bit tired after that, but to be expected i guess....as for you, you're going thro the mill a tad at the mo....you'll get there, you know you will....but it's the meantime when all is falling around you (no pun intended!! :D) where you need that support, i would seriously consider a scooter, you could get to the shops etc, even walk the dogs, all the stuff you can't do, and the OC should be able to sort that out for you as they should a pair of crutches for the little bits you need to do out of the scooter, give it some serious thought my love...i also suppose the anticipation for your sleep results must be killing ya too...never rush themselves do they....keep your chin up love, we're all here for ya!!

Wow it sounds like things have already changed for ya thats fab, pls take it easy ur not supermarky :)
Ty hun xxx

I've got a thing called a walking stool, like a stick but it unfolds to a seat on a tripod. It's rigid , not canvas, great for country walks as I can sit down and rest my knees every 5 minutes. Plenty on E bay, but watch out, some have tiny seats. Mine's old and heavy, made of steel, but I recently got one for my neighbour (who is small, but has arthritis) It was made of aluminium, very light, with a small seat. However it took my weight even better than my own, but the seat was too small for my huge arris. Anything from £10 -£60.

Thanks Steve i have seen things like that will def look into it, ty for stopping by luv Roch xxx

Back