• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Does CBT work?

Paula1975

anyone gone through CBT? does i work? so many probs atm, not all weight loss related, but wondered if it helps

Yes, I have and I'm a great supporter of the concept. You need to be open to it, but it helps challenge existing thought processes which will make you able to make better decisions longer term. This can apply to any issues, not just about relationship with food.

Give it a try! Good luck :)

I'm a CBT/integrated counsellor. CBT can work, but you need a really good therapist. IMO it doesn't work as well for deep rooted problems as it focuses very much on "here and now".

Hi Nicola what kind of therapy would u recommend for long term comfort eaters and relearning portion sizes?

It's hard for me to say. Different things work with different people. I tried lots of kinds of therapy myself but none worked, hence I'm in this position!
Finding a therapist who really "gets it" is important. Don't be afraid to meet a few different ones and see what fits best.

Hi like Nicola I'm an advance nurse practioneer in child psychiatry and most of my therapeutic work toward the end was with eating disorder anorexics . It's just a spectrum and we are on the other end, CBT is brilliant and their are some self help books around which Nicola will know. If it's about traumatic experiences then EDMR is very good. Go talk to your GP they should make an assessment . Or is their a local WLS support group you could attend ?

Thanks guys. I think you're right finding the right therapist is half the battle. Yes I've joined Salfords wls support group, and I've bought overcoming binge eating for dummies. Was actually diagnosed with bed but gave up on the therapy cos I couldn't stand the therapist. :(

Go back and see your GP and ask to see another therapist don't worry it happens all the time , or go back to her and tell her what you found difficult.with them . It's their job to listen to how you found the session . Be honest with them they will appreciate it . It's a partnership .

It really depends on the person - and the therapist. For me, I've found it not that helpful at this stage, simply because I need to know *why* I do the things I do. Once I know why, then some CBT methods work. I'm currently looking for a therapist who can help me understand myself, and then help me find some CBT methods to tackle things. I did have an outstanding therapist with the WMS I've been through who did just that, but unfortunately my time with her is done and the way the program is structured, I can't continue to see her.

Amymcd, can you send me some details about this Salford group? I'm in Manchester and would love to have a group not tied into the WMS to go to, with others facing the same thing. Thanks!

Hi shell it's tied to Salford royal hospital and for people all over greater Manchester who will have their op at the hospital. Are you nhs or private? I ask because I'm nhs and have to attend two sessions before I will be considered for surgery. Anyway it's on the first Wednesday of the month at Salford royal hospital 6.30-8.30 in the mayo building. They're skipping Jan as the first weds is New Year's Day so the next one will be in feb. hope this helps. X

Thanks amymcd! I'm NHS, and I'll be needing to make the decision between Salford and Countess of Chester (quicker, but so much further away) in January (I'm currently with a weight management service on the NHS, and when I'm done there they'll refer me on - they're telling me most likely end of January, when my 6 months is up with them because I need another surgery once I've lost weight). I'm strongly leaning toward Salford, even though Chester is a month or so quicker, as I've heard so many great things about the team at Salford. I guess I will have to wait until I get the referral to go, but that's OK, glad to know they have something.

Back