• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Any WL Surgery regrets ??

two months on from surgery i would of liked to say i didnt have any regrets but i would be lying, the first two weeks were rough, naturaly sore but i had probs with my meds, but after that was sorted and getting over the puree stage the regrets faded, now two months on and 46lb lighter (incl pre-op weight) i have bags of energy, my asthma has improved drastically and im starting to feel my confidence rising (much better than my weight rising). all round looking forward to what the future holds for me. :)

best wishes barbara xx

There's a lot of things that haven't felt right to me. Like taking vitamins or even your pain pills I had to crush them up and even at that I couldn't handle it. When pros say you really can't have certain items, they aren't kidding and worst of all you REALLY do MISS the feeling of eating. You start to realize everyone around you is getting orgasmic with their food and meanwhile you would sell your soul just to chew something with flavor. And when your family gets together or dinner your like the odd man out. It really is depressing in that aspect and because you assume with everyonea success story of weight loss that yours will happen the same and it doesn't. It takes a long time. I was told by my team that I should see the completeion of my weight loss within 9 months and I can't figure out how if I only lost 9 pounds in the first month....to each their own but I wish I would of listened to my body telling me no the weeks before the surgery. Good luck!

Allstarcheer921, I am so sad for you that you feel so negative about your post-op challenges, hopefully you will soon a little better about it all once you progress on to more solid food after all you are only just a month post-op so still dealing with your pouches recovery from surgery and so no doubt making things more of a challenge at the moment. Yes I appreciate I have no idea yet what you are going through as I am still waiting for my date, and yes I agree that everyones experience is different we are all different and all have differnt pre-op problems to add to the mix so we will have different experiences. I hope things soon get better for you and you can enjoy the freedom the bypass is meant to give you.

I was REALLY ill after the operation for a long time and I can honestly hand on my heart tell you that through it all I had no regrets - I knew I was changingmylife for the better. For me the surgery was not about being fat - it was about being unhealthy - I had high blood pressure and was losing the mobility in my knees (i had to crawl upstairs) - now 1 and a half years on I am half the person I was - I am off blood pressure tablets - I go to Zumba and walk 9 miles plus at a time. Most importantly I am going to be with my family for years and years to come - honestly can't see anything to regret about my decision xxx ps looking thinner is a bonus too x

Dear allstarcheer921. My goodness you have been through a rough time, im so sorry you have had this battle, i know its easy to have high expectations,but 9lb in a month is great ! i understand that it must be very difficult when you are eating with family, may i ask ... are they supportive ? do you have a good supportive network ? I notice that you dont visit here very often , I would love to stay in touch with you, I have found this site a great help to me, and thats because of people like yourself who are kind enough to share their thoughts. I hope to see you here often. Wishing you an easy day . Many thanks, all the very best to you .. Clare xxx

On balance it would seem very few if any regrets . . .
Week 1 for most, I would say = “What have I done”?
From there on in as the weight drops of it is great feeling – as phatmomma identifies, when you reach a milestone or your loved ones pass a comment any lingering doubts fade ~ have a look at some of the wonderful and inspirational before and after photos on here . . . x

As my blog/diary testifies about a day or two after, whilst I was in hospital, the enormity of what I had done and been through hit me like a wall. But it soon passed.

Even in the firsat month fo jsut fluids and then the stage of weaning again, I didn't regret it.

Even two spells of emergency admission following severe abdominal pain due to hernia strangulation, I didn't regret it.

Losing weight much slowly compared to my WLS colleagues & friends, I didn't regret it.

I didn't and I don't. Though there are some out there who do.

There's a lot of things that haven't felt right to me. Like taking vitamins or even your pain pills I had to crush them up and even at that I couldn't handle it. When pros say you really can't have certain items, they aren't kidding and worst of all you REALLY do MISS the feeling of eating. You start to realize everyone around you is getting orgasmic with their food and meanwhile you would sell your soul just to chew something with flavor. And when your family gets together or dinner your like the odd man out. It really is depressing in that aspect and because you assume with everyonea success story of weight loss that yours will happen the same and it doesn't. It takes a long time. I was told by my team that I should see the completeion of my weight loss within 9 months and I can't figure out how if I only lost 9 pounds in the first month....to each their own but I wish I would of listened to my body telling me no the weeks before the surgery. Good luck!

Hi hun its early days for you yet so i completely understand your feelings. Eventually the enjoyment of foods returns and the "orgasmic feelings" its just a lot less, also as your weight decreases you will have new things that give you the feeling that eating did, Like that size 12 dress or thae fact you are able to run round effortlesly for hours on end.
Take care it does get better xx

Back