• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Does everyone?

elffie01

Im Meellttinngg!! :)
Ive been thinking about this since last night.

does everyone get the full feeling after bypass?
I know to some it may sound a daft question but to me it doesn't. For why? Because I have done the diets, done the Paul McKenna cd thing.
They all tell you to stop eating when your body says your full, Listen to you stomach. But either my stomach, my head or both dont tell me when to stop, well not before Ive overeaten anyway..:rolleyes:

Now I was thinking what if ? yeah I know the dreaded what if question... but what if my body doesnt tell me after bypass?? Or will it ??

Im assuming it will, Im just not 100% sure it will lol. ( im my mind that makes sense so ner..:p)

That's an odd one- if I drink a cup of tea, I get the full sensation and often leave half a cup (large mugs), had a skinny cow lolly last week and could not finish it - but as my thread yesterday stated, had a 200g fish pie meal blended and ate the lot!

The 1st 2 weeks on liquids I felt full a lot, this week, neither hungry nor full. I suspect that everyone is different here.

I am going to change the portion size today and sit up properly instead of lounging on the sofa and see if that makes a difference. It's all trial and error.

But in answer to the 'will I feel full' question - at first you will feel so full you won't be able to manage a cup of drink.

HTH

Last edited:
thanks Tpt that helps :)

ye know my head is all over the place, I think im starting to get more bothered about eating after the op than the op itself now lol.

Good luck with the change in eating plan for today :D fingers crossed you get the full sign

Full is a very different feeling now than what it was before!

Now, I know when I've had enough because it's a dull pain in my chest I get rather than a full stomach feeling. This is because my stomach has moved now. Whereas before, my food went down into the cavern in my stomach and sat there in my tummy.

Now, my stomach, or at least the part that counts, is high up now just below my chest, so the achey feeling is the stomach telling me enough.

Like I said, it's a completely different feeling now :D

Hope this helps!

Hi!
Soon after the op I could not finish a drink and only manage half a cup of soup, I am sure you will find this to be the same. Now I do get a full feeling but it is not like the 'I've just eaten my Christmas dinner' feeling. The trick is to eat really slowly and listen to your body. You'll get to know the feeling post op.
Lots of luck with your pre op diet and surgery.

Lx

I have felt the fullness and boy will you know when you get it because it is right in your chest in between your boobs and it feels like a tightness(a bit like you've swallowed something and not chewed it first) if I carry on eating after this it feels like I have a fully grown elephant sitting on my chest. You do need to listen to your new pouch it may take a while and may not happen on liquids or sloppy foods. If you follow the recommendations of your surgical team you can't go far wrong.

thanks guys for the replies. :)

I have every intention of sticking to what my surgeon says. I remember people saying that its like an elephant on your chest, poor elephant lol.

it was more of a wondering question as I think its still hard to get into your head pre op that you WILL feel full and you WILL lose weight lol. It was just one of those questions that had to come out :D

I also get that someone sitting on my chest feeling. But yesterday I ate all day and ate anything and didnt get that feeling

Elfie it is hard to imagine life post op. I was trying to explain things to my hubby last night - although you know what to expect(sort of) and you know there will be massive changes knowing it and living with it and coping on a day to day basis is completely different.

After so many years of being a carb addict its hard to give them up. I am going to have to dig out my old slimming world reipe books and magazines as post op eating is very much like slimming world red days only in a lot smaller portions lol

Ahh, the old question what does full feel like? The reason this question popped up for you and many of us is that obese people as a population generally have two major contributors to their weight, not being able to tell 'full' before overeating and not being able to tell the difference between thirst and hunger. The brilliant part of gastric bypass is where the pouch is fashioned. It is made out of the very top of your regular stomach, where there are more nerve endings because that part is responsible for letting the brain know you are full so you don't have food coming back up the throat. So the gentle stretching of the pouch caused by your sensible eating tells the brain I am full now almost as soon as you eat. While you are on purees, some of your meal slips down and out of your pouch while you eat allowing more volume to go it in one go. When you go to soft foods and solids, you are full after a few bites because nothing has left the pouch yet, thus the elephant on the chest feeling. As you get further on you will sense the full before the elephant and you can avoid that feeling most of the time.

It is really brilliant and simple but very, very effective!

Nic:D

Last edited:
thanks for that. I know after the op ill be wondering why on earth i even thought about it lol.

I need to keep myself occupied i think, wierd questions whizzing in my head, most Ive forgotten about after Ive slept lol but theres a few that sit there niggling:)

I think everyone before me has answered the question - and yes you will know when you are full. I have to say i don't like this full feeling so i am just getting to know now how i feel before i get to that full feeling and i stop now just before i get to the full up feeling.

It is truly a learning curve once you are post-op - but you will get there xx

Back