• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dolan Park Hospital, Bromsgrove

EighteenStoneGirl

Wanting to hear from anyone who had WLS here! :)

I'm going in for my band on April 14th and I'm going alone.

I know they tell you 48hrs before your op, what time to get there for. But how accurate is the time (as in, when I get there, will my op generally start at the time I've been given), and how long did most people stay in for before being discharged?

I still can't believe I'm having to do all this alone, getting a coach from London to Birmingham then a train to Bromsgrove then a taxi to the hospital.

Bit scared but trying to be a 'grown up' about it!

donna44

I had my band at Dolan Park on 5th January, I was asked on booking if I wanted to stay the night, I asked why, their reply was, if I didn't want to stay overnight then I would come in first thing in the morning and have surgery before mid day, if I wanted to stay in over night, I would be admitted at mid day and surgery could be anything up to 8pm. I decided to go home the same day, admitted at 7am and had surgery at 11.45, was discharged at 6.30pm.

Many women go on their own, I took my husband with me. My only concern for you would be going home to london on your own in a taxi/train, just make sure you dose yourself up with painkillers before taking the journey home.

top_kat

mybe worth having a look at transportation, is it THG that does this? Maybe worth finding out because that's a lot of travelling post op :(

flutterby1966

Yep, I would look into the private transport offered by THG as their drivers are used to looking after patients. Its a long journey on public transport. I live locally and was booked in early in the morning but didn't have my op till the afternoon and then stopped overnight. The surgeon will organise his list in. The order he wants so even if the hospital say a certain time, I don't think you can be guaranteed that time. Be aware the next influx of patients are in early the morning, so it's an early rise and 7am departure. The nurse said to me, if you are paying for the service why not use it; Exactly; I definitely wouldn't have felt up to travelling by myself. All in all I had fantastic service from THG :). Don't be scared xxx

daisy123

I had a band done at this hospital on 14/02/13.My husband drove me home at 7am in the morning I had a 1 night stay.I was initially tole to come in for 7am on the day odf surgery but when I got there was tole this list was PM one and I had to return by 11am.I would definately not been ok to travel onmy own as I still was really sleepy after the anaesthetic and I slept all the way home.

Geordie lass

I have my sleeve booked in at Leeds Nuffield (through THG) and was thinking about travelling back by train (to Newcastle), will be travelling alone too! Is this not such a good idea then? I am staying in hospital for 2 nights following my surgery. Hopefully, I should be up for travelling by then.

Butterfly_lady

I travelled home alone 2 days after my bypass I was fine :)

When I had my consultation I begged to be able to go home the same day. I had to get there for 7 and I was first on the list. I was home by 530 maybe 6. I too went to dolan park but my hubby came think I would gave struggled without him he got me so organised when I arrived and packed me up to leave! I live about an hour away and was uncomfortable on the way home. Although I slept for hours after surgery I was glad to have him there x

Banderbird

Seriously think about getting the patient transport, it's "only" £200, but it was cheaper for me to do that than taking taxis and trains from Hampshire anyway. Their drivers are great and it's door to door, which is what you need. You are too sore to move much after surgery, and you don't want to be hauling a bag onto a train and sitting on public transport for a long distance, trust me.

I had my op at Dolan Park in Sept with the same surgeon as you. I was picked up about 4am, got there really early and had surgery about 1pm (I think). I spent the night and left about 10am the next morning. I had a very comfortable journey home in the car. If you're paying £5k for surgery you might as well pay the bit extra to be chauffered home.

Oh, and I did it all on my own as well.

Carolb15

I flew down from Glasgow or Birmingham the night before, they put me up that night and included transfers from the airport for an extra £50 which I thought was well worth it, I didn't know what time my op would be so they were fine with me staying the night before as well as the night of the op. Martin Richardson was my surgeon, delighted with him, if it's a Friday of your op chances are it will be after 1pm as he works fri am for nhs, i hope this is helpful to you. I too went on my own but I was completely fine.

EighteenStoneGirl

Thanks ladies,
Well I've actually been given a different surgeon now, and am getting banded the monday. Still haven't been given a time. Mum has INSISTED she's coming with me now, so at least I won't be alone, and she's booked herself into a hotel as I'd rather stay overnight in case there are any complications and remember from previous experience that anaesthetic just knocks me clean out for at least 10hrs!

I've emailed Julie at THG and requested transportation from Dolan Park to home. Just wondering if they offer that at half price?

Thanks for the advice everybody and I get what you mean. Even if it's a day later, I can't imagine jumping on trains and tubes and whatever with my carry case for a couple hours.