• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Drinking 1 week post op

Stellap

At goal at last.....
Hi, I had my op 6 days ago and got home 2 days ago. I'm having trouble with getting enough fluids in me and wonder how much water we are supposed to drink in the first 2 weeks. I am also very constipated which I guess is down to the lack of fluids. I would like to try some fruit juice which would help with the constipation but am afraid of the sugar it contains. Can anyone recommend a brand that is not high sugar as I don't want any dumping and was also diabetic pre op and want my sugars to stay low as they are now. Thanks for any advice.

Are you sip, sip, sipping throughout the day. I filled a small bottle with sugar free squash (don't like plain water) and just sipped all day, it really helped. Other people have said that they don't get on with cold squash so they use warm water and it seems to help. I drink fruit juice now, but I am four weeks post surgery, and I use the Tropicana ones as they have no added sugar plus they are yum.

Good luck with the sipping, it really is so important. Just small sips but they all add up. I tend to take about 2 litres a day, which is only four small bottles. It averages out to only 125mls per waking hour, that's only half of a teacup per hour!

Hi Stella,

I have fruit juice but I always add some water to it and have no problems. I also struggle with fluids but it does get better and better.

Pinkyxx

i have had some ribena light and it really goes down well, i drank it so fast, good luc with u intake xx

Hi Stella, I think 'officially' we are supposed to get down a minimum of 2 litres a day but I struggle with even this even now and I'm 4 weeks post op! I can't take my s/f squash cold so I add some warm water from the kettle. It goes down much easier. I too use Tropicana fruit juices occasionally but dilute them a bit first.

I does get easier I promise you!

Cuppa xx

i am 2 weeks post op today and i can't get all my fluid intake in, its just life in my view. I am trying my hardest and no doubt as time goes on I'll improve. With regards to the fruit juice, it should be fruit juice and just that, none of these additives or "flavourings" just check the ingredients label to ensure its all juice or part concentrate part whole fruit juice that is fine they havne't had any sugar added to them and i'd be very disappointed to discover that a fruit juice has had sugar added to it since there is no need!!! I can;t drink cordials, they make me dump yes even the no added sugar and sugar free types (all the same thing) so i just drink the low calorie flavoured water and fruit juice. You don;t need to pay out for anything expensive i just buy supermarket own and again just check the ingredients list. This has been a huge learning curve for me and I am shocked as to how much sugar is put into our food/drink, its disgusting. I live like a diabetic now :D Good Luck xxx

Sip sip sip throughout the day. You need to get at least 2 litres in for your weightloss and for your health. When I was in hospital a few weeks ago for further surgery I was having up to 4 litres of water with drips and drinks and I lost 6lbs that week!

Thanks everyone. I find that if I drink too much then my stomach starts to hurt, as I usually have trapped wind. Guess its just a case of getting used to it. I want to try fresh orange juice but was shocked at the amount of sugar (fructose) it has without any added sugar. I will try some with water to help with my constipation but am afraid I will dump.

Back