• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Drinking

angeeb

I've spent a few hours today hunting on the net for others who are like me.......never thirsty!

I'm 2 weeks post op so am forcing myself to drink as i've been told i need to.....but i must admit it makes me feel waterlogged and sick.

I've always been like this, it's not a new thing, even as a child i remember my mum telling me i never drank......i've never been one for cups of tea or coffee and if i did have the odd one i'd rarely finish it....never been a fan of fizzy drinks and if i ever opened a can of coke or the like, 80% of it was thrown out.

I never "felt" dehydrated.....my blood tests pre op showed i had good kidney function.....i've never had headaches or felt ill. I've always been astounded at how much fluid others seemed to put away, even when on diets i always lost weight fine.....rarely had more than 1 500ml bottle of water a day.

Don't know why i'm actually posting about this? maybe just to see if there's anyone else out there like this! my doctor says as long as i feel fine and don't have dark urine then my body is hydrated.....but i hear so much about drinking a whole river a day that i do feel a bit odd! why on earth do some people not seem to need/want fluid, any ideas? or just a random fact of life!

I hardly drink anything too, one coffee am and another pm. Then maybe a few sips of water after my meal. I sometimes feel guilty for not drinking more but my body appears not to need it. Only time it's different is totm, when I actually feel thirsty and drink maybe a pint of water during a day.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I'm the same. It's killing me to force myself to drink so much atm. And don't get me started on constantly on the loo!

I too wasnt a big drinker pre op and still dont drink that much.You get fluids in foods too.You will drink more as you get further out its early days,you havnt healed inside yet and swelling will go down then you will find it much easier to drink.Sip as much as you can though.Maz

This is the point though....i didn't find it easy to drink when i had my big stomach! in fact then i didnt really bother to, just drank when i felt i needed to.

Before now i've been told if i kept drinking a lot my body would come to need it, find it easier etc...........nope, been there, tried that, it's a load of rubbish.....i really do think that some people just do not need litres and litres of fluid a day....just the way our bodies work.

two weeks on hun you will find it hard to get fluids in... but give it a few weeks and you will soon be hitting 2 ltrs. i can d it easily now... with hot choc, tea and squash.

Can i please say though how important fluids are...as i soon found out post op... 2 weeks in and i got severe dehydration as i was having less than half a pint a day... i was re-admitted to hospital and spent 3 days stuck on drip after drip. due to all this i got a bad bladder infection. for the next 3 weeks i had 5 different types of anti-biotic... i also got thush and cystitus to add to it... i was so poorly i was hallucinating. my surgion said that this can be a complication of wls... so made it very clear our bodies need fluids as we now absorb more than we did pre-op. He said aim for 2 ltr but as long as you have over 1ltr a day then that is ok. Im 17 weeks post op now... and i get over 2ltr wihout even tring or thinking about it now.... and pre-op i would go days without drinking a thing xx

I totally agree with all this. I don't think everyone needs the same amount of liquid. We are all different. Just listen to your body and go with that :D

I totally agree with all this. I don't think everyone needs the same amount of liquid. We are all different. Just listen to your body and go with that :D

Well i am forcing almost a litre a day in, but it's killing me to do so to the point i heave when i try to swallow (this used to happen pre op also when i forced myself to drink) think as long as i feel ok i'll be fine :) i'll see how i feel a few weeks down the road and then if i don't need to drink as much as others then so be it :)

I hardly drink anything too, one coffee am and another pm. Then maybe a few sips of water after my meal. I sometimes feel guilty for not drinking more but my body appears not to need it. Only time it's different is totm, when I actually feel thirsty and drink maybe a pint of water during a day.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Knew there were others out there :)

angeeb said:
Well i am forcing almost a litre a day in, but it's killing me to do so to the point i heave when i try to swallow (this used to happen pre op also when i forced myself to drink) think as long as i feel ok i'll be fine :) i'll see how i feel a few weeks down the road and then if i don't need to drink as much as others then so be it :)

Yeah, go for intuitive drinking :D you will know when you need it and when you don't :D

angeeb said:
lol tell me about it, i'm peeing like an old cow...absolute gallons at a time :D

I'm tired of the toilet trips! Every half hour or so if I'm having a good fluid intake day.

Back