• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Drinking after bypass

girly girl

Hi just wanted to ask what you do about drinking on a night out i don't go out very much but when i do i like to really let my hair down can you still drink after bypass and if so what or am i going to have go t total thanks,

I am not a bypasser but I guess you might becomemore sensitive to drink...also some are very high in sugar that could cause "dumping" but I am sure some bypassers will be along soon to let you know their experience:)

Hi,

I had my first drink about 4 months after my bypass and had just 1 vodka and diet coke..and was fine! I was quite scared though, as i did not know how i would react! lol

I then had several vodka and diet cokes at my Xmas doo and got merry and was fine once again! I have also had some wine now, just a glass and that was ok too. I have found that I get merry A LOT quicker than before the op, so beware! At the end of the day, alcohol are empty calories and you need all the good nutrition u can get!

You need to be careful with sugary alcohol and gas in drinks. I am personally fine with diet coke etc, but some people are not! Too much sugar and you could dump! Not what you want to do on a good night out.

Always follow what your surgeon and dietician tells you, and always take things one step at a time!

Good Luck,

Kel xxx

thank you can i allso ask what about a cup af tea do you have to have small cups,thanks

Lisa - Drinking after the bypass - its great, you get drunk really fast so it costs you a lot less - i have no problem with fizzy fluids either, beer, G&T, all goes down great

Dont drink the alco pops so cant say for certain, but i'd image the sugar content could be an issue

One word of warning, what you drink you absorb, i've never tried but being sick through to much drink could be a problem as everything goes through the restriction and into your upper GI tract ! - every thing inmoderation and know when to stop !

Cups of tea - drink as much as you want

Hope that helps a bit :D

Hi Lisa. I am almost 3 months out and have had a couple glasses of wine with no problem. I feel tipsy quicker and then I become sober really fast. Just remember that you have a different absorption rate and you will register as legally 'drunk' for longer than the non-bypass person (I read a medical journal article about it - Medical News: ASBS: Alcohol Effects Altered after Bariatric Surgery - in Psychiatry, Addictions from MedPage Today) so please for safety don't drive. As always, use the advice of your bariatric team over ours, they are the professionals after all.

Best of luck.

I have yet to try alcohol, never been a big drinker (you liar Linda!!!)....well ok in my younger days I could polish off a good few vodka and cokes. I find I fill up really fast after one mouthful of anything fizzy so as to what I can have with vodka now is a real issue. Vodka and fresh orange might be ok for one but dont want too much acid from the orange juice...so might try vodka and pineapple juice and just have the one...going to a party on friday night so will give it a whirl. That and the dance floor!

Just after the op I could not stomach tea at all, I then progressed to small mugs of tea and often left a lot...now I have a thermal mug and it keeps warmer for longer and I can "graze" with it...hope this helps...xx

Hiya - I had my bypass on the 26th Oct last year, I have been out lots of times...I tend to drink wine or Vodka and orange, i have been fine !! I do get drunk quite quickly but i love it !!! hahahah

Back