• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Drinking at meal times

ktstar

I'm just over 2 weeks post op and had my first chat with the dietician and she said the new advice is that you don't have to wait an hour before or after eating to have something to drink, she even sent me n email confirming this new advice. Has anyone lose been told this? I have been restricting my fluid intake around mealtimes but not sure weather I should relax on this now.

I'm still on the old advise in that you wait 30 mins before and after. I'm sticking to this as if I drink before I'm too full to eat, and if I drinks too soon afterwards, I probably leave drinking to 45 mins or a bit more after, then I'm hungry again much sooner, presumably the food is being flushed out of my pouch.

Ultimately the advise of your provider should be followed, but you know you're own body. It's not a life threatening test to try it and see :eek:

Whats the new advice?

I think you will find what people are advised varies but the reason you are advised not to drink before is so that its only food in your banded tum. Afterwards so that the liquid doesn't push the food through or bring it back up.

I was advised the same can now eat right upto the point you eat and to wait 15 mins after eating not the hour that they originally said x

it varies with provider, I do drink right up o time of eating and do so if I feel hungry to check its hunger and not thirst, some advise not to drink while eating cos of over stretching pouch or the food going thro too quickly, all you can do is work with what your provider says or what works for you.

Last edited:
I have a relaxed attitude to the drinking with meals thing. Drink right up to eating, but generally my body / band lets me know I cannot fit drink in immediately after eating. If I am full the liquid just sits on the top of the food ... For a minute ... Then shoots right back up :8855: not worth it for me ...

I was told it was ok to drink up until eating then not to flush food through with liquids , and drink when ive stopped eating.

I'm the same though, drink before but can't after as i am full x normally wait about half hour or so.

I have had a few 'sips' of wine if I have been for a meal while I am eating but make sure my food is down first x

I find that drinking water fills me up so I will see how it goes and maybe experiment in a few weeks but its just confusing to hear conflicting advice.

The way we understand how the band works has changed because of newer research so I was also told the advice about not drinking was out of date. I avoid drinking with meals anyway because it makes me feel bloated but five mins after I'm fine and I drink right up to meal-time. I'd follow the advice of your provider but also listen to your body and what works best for it :)

I went for a fill today and talked at length about this with the nurse.

She said that at one time it was thought that drinking while eating could cause issues with the band. However research has shown that it is not as important as it was first thought. She was saying that its perfectly ok to drink up to the time of eating (and as such if you're feeling hungry but not sure if its hunger it can also help to see if it genuinely is or not) she said they still however say to drink as little as possible while eating, although small sips would be ok, but having liquid with food will flush the food through the stomach more quickly and this is something that you want/need to avoid to sustain the feeling of fullness. She said there's no real need to delay after eating, but you may be too full to drink and again, small sips would suffice until the food has passed through to resume normal drinking then.

My provider even removed the info from their book inline with this too.

I have been told the same. It is ok to drink until I eat, not advisable to drink while I am eating, but just a few minutes after I finished eating it is again ok to drink (unless you are very full up because then you risk bringing it all up. Just sip the drink, not gulp after the meal).

Back