• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Driving after surgery.

Big an Bouncy

How long do you have to wait after surgery before you can drive or go back to work?

With driving, check with your insurance company. Some will put a set time on you, others will say it's up to your doctor.

With work, it depends on you and what kind of job you do! I went back after 2 1/2 weeks, to a very sedentary job, but felt I could have done with longer.

The literature from the hospital states that you cannot drive legally for 10 days. You can only drive after that if you can do an emergency stop. xx

I had my op on a Monday and drove again the following Sunday no problems my consultant said it was up to me when i felt safe to do so - I was told to take 2 weeks off work which would have been enough for me in an office based job. Hope that helps x

well I drove a week after surgery, but in all honesty if I had to have done an emergancy stop I would have been in a hell of lot of pain. I was pretty active before the op, but couldnt look after the horse for a least a month afterwards (lots of heavy lifting and carrying) and even then was sore!

I was curious about this too, as I usually have to drive every day to take the children to school. Hubby is going to take I think it's a fortnight off after the op, so he will take them and collect them during that time, but with my other disabilities, I don't know if it will take me longer to heal. If worse comes to the worst I'll have to give them bus fare, although I know they hate getting the bus, but I'd rather not drive if I don't feel fit enough.

Hi i was banded 26th october which was a sunday, i drove on the thursday and returned to work on the monday..even thou i havent a physical job, i would say 2 weeks off would be better than my 1..i was tired and a little uncomfortable at the end of the day...2 weeks after the op is a massive difference...good luck

Back