• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dumping dangerous?

Nellyphant

Dumping is not nice, horrid set of symptoms. I understand the science behind it but I was wondering if it was actually harmful to our bodies. I'm putting a call in to my dietician tomorrow but wondered if anyone on here knew the answer. Google isn't much help.

Thanks.

Thinking about it physiologically I would think that it would not be good for insulin resistance which - irrelevant of size - can lead to type two diabetes. Google insulin resistance it's very interesting. I would be interested to see what the dietician says. Good luck x

I wondered this and asked my surgeon & he told me dumping did your body no harm in the long term it just didn't feel nice at the time. I always wonder though because surely a surge of insulin raging through your body can't be good for you?? X

Funny one this. I'm Type 1 diabetic on insulin. Pre-op I was suffering from insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia. At first, post-op, I found myself dumping if I so much as sniffed sugar. Now the weight's completely off and my insulin requirements have droppped by about 90%, I don't dump. Pretty sure if I snarfed a box of chocs in 10 minutes I would, but that's not going to happen. Haven't decided if not dumping is neccessarily a good thing for me, as it served as a reminder to keep away from the sweet stuff or suffer the incredibly nasty consequences!
I don't know if the actual effects of dumping are harmful in the long run, but I do think given that dumping is completely evil, try and avoid it happening in the first place - and read ingredients carefully for those pesky hidden sugars!

Just asked my surgeon as he was here when reading thing post he says its not a nice thing and we would do best to avoid high sugary things but it should have no overall affect on our bodies

Back