• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dumping help

Butterfly1979

I am a pre opper and have read alot of the threads about dumping, I take it it's a different type of dumping as in the toilet type, please can someone explain?

I presume you are having rny surgery?
Dumping happens when you eat sweet or fatty foods,not everyone gets it and some more than others.I have dumped once after four chips and a tiny bit of fish in batter.I felt faint,nauseus,runs all at once.It was awful and dont want to feel like that again!I must admit my eating has been very simple and cautious since.In fact some days I hardly eat at all.Its a very hard journey and far from the easy option others think it is!
The food basically is too much sugar or fat for our new little pouch to deal with and dumps it straight into the intestine where the trouble starts.Its like you feel when you have eaten way too much chocolate and feel lightheaded and sick.Of course if you are a bander you dont dump.Maz x

R n y Gastric bypass procedures (GBP) are any of a group of similar operations that first divides the stomach into a small upper pouch and a much larger lower "remnant" pouch and then re-arranges the small intestine to allow both pouches to stay connected to it. Surgeons have developed several different ways to reconnect the intestine, thus leading to several different GBP names. Any GBP leads to a marked reduction in the functional volume of the stomach, accompanied by an altered physiological and physical response to food.

Thanks tinkerbell just trying to get my head round the different types of surgery as I have had funding agreed and now waiting for a hospital app which I don't think will be too long .

True dumping is the after sugar effect. It is very similar to what diabetics get.

Post-op bypass bodies process sugar rapidly and this can cause the dumping effect. Broadly speaking - heart racing/palpitations, nausea, clamminess, faintness and the urge to sleep it off.

I have dumped around 8 times in 2 years and boy, does it come on quickly and last hours!

Sugary stuff is best avoided if you find you are prone to dumping. Unfortunately, you won't know if you are prone until you dump!

I'm glad Butterfly1979 asked the question because I wasn't too sure what 'dumping' was in that sense either. I'm now 11 days post-op (have had POSE) and I've found your responses very helpful. Thank you.

Lynda x

Back