• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

dumping

Gastric dumping syndrome, or rapid gastric emptying is a condition where ingested foods bypass the stomach too rapidly and enter the small intestine largely undigested. It happens when the upper end of the small intestine, the duodenum, expands too quickly due to the presence of hyperosmolar (having increased osmolarity) food from the stomach. "Early" dumping begins concurrently with or immediately succeeding ingestion of a meal. Symptoms of early dumping include nausea, vomiting, bloating, cramping, diarrhea, dizziness, and fatigue. "Late" dumping happens one to three hours after eating. Symptoms of late dumping include weakness, sweating, and dizziness. Many people have both types. The syndrome is most often associated with gastric surgery.
Rapid loading of the small intestine with hypertonic stomach contents can lead to rapid entry of water into the intestinal lumen. Osmotic diarrhea, distension of the small bowel (leading to crampy abdominal pain), and hypovolemia can result.

Gastric dumping syndrome, or rapid gastric emptying is a condition where ingested foods bypass the stomach too rapidly and enter the small intestine largely undigested. It happens when the upper end of the small intestine, the duodenum, expands too quickly due to the presence of hyperosmolar (having increased osmolarity) food from the stomach. "Early" dumping begins concurrently with or immediately succeeding ingestion of a meal. Symptoms of early dumping include nausea, vomiting, bloating, cramping, diarrhea, dizziness, and fatigue. "Late" dumping happens one to three hours after eating. Symptoms of late dumping include weakness, sweating, and dizziness. Many people have both types. The syndrome is most often associated with gastric surgery.
Rapid loading of the small intestine with hypertonic stomach contents can lead to rapid entry of water into the intestinal lumen. Osmotic diarrhea, distension of the small bowel (leading to crampy abdominal pain), and hypovolemia can result.

thank you

kay xx

In simple terms, for most but not all of us if we eat the wrong foods we feel crap & are sick or spend a long time on the loo until the body ejects the offending food items. It's not pleasant & sometimes apparently safe foods trigger an attack sometimes we get no symptoms at all it depends on our pouches & how sensitive they are.
The usual culprits are high fat or sugar foods but not always. Sugar rush gives you a hypo like effect & or the cramps & toilet problems mentioned by Caren. It can be almost instant others hours later almost like a build up over the day or meal.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi

Just to add one more to the possible symptom list, too much sugar give me a blinding headache, I found that out one night when I had a cup of Horlicks and spent most of the night with a blinding headache, I then found that one cup of Horlicks hasb16 Grams of sugar in it, plus the carbs from the milk, no wonder I dumped on it, mind you Horlicks is not as bad as the other famous night time drink, Oveatline as that has 25grams of sugar in it.

One other thing to think of, is don't think of dumping syndrome as a bad thing, its not, think of it as your conscience, if you eat something you shouldn't you stand a good chance of dumping, and you will hopefully only do that the once and never want to do it again.

Unfortunately not every one dumps, and those people are the ones who often struggle to maintain their weight loss as they can still eat all the things that got them in trouble in the first place, only in smaller quantities. The same can also be said of alcohol, many even a small amount makes them ill but some have no ill effect and quite often find themselves addicted to booze instead of wood, and that's called addiction transference and it actually affects quite a high number of WLS patients, just read the forum and you see how often the subject comes up.

Just be careful with what you eat and drink and you will be fine, if you team says no then it's better to say no your self.

Paul

I'm over 2 yrs post op now,and I dump on loads of things.
Sometimes I just have to go with the dumping effect and suffer or I'd never eat anything.

To be honest I know people who dump and will still eat rubbish.

Yvessa said:
To be honest I know people who dump and will still eat rubbish.

I don't know why or how they can do that. It's only happened once to me (didn't dilute my pineapple juice enough) and it was awful. Maybe they shouldn't have had the surgery, if they aren't willing to change their lifestyle :-/

My point was simply that regardless of whether dump or not it's such a hard battle. I get more scared of regain every day.

Yvessa said:
My point was simply that regardless of whether dump or not it's such a hard battle. I get more scared of regain every day.

Me too yvessa,
This op may help your body but not your head!
I don't know how I'd cope if I regain after I went to such drastic measures of rearranging my insides!
It's a scary thought

Yes it is. I hope that it's a healthy fear and that it will keep me in check but we can never take our eyes off the ball now.

I stay away from food I think will make me dump but had one hell of a dumping session last week. I had fish with a little bit, i mean a little bit of tarter sauce and it was the tarter sauce that made me Ill, never again!!!!!!!!

You have to be really careful with those condiments. Mint jelly?? Nasty..
I can just about do ketchup now, praise be.

Must admit it does worry me. Going through all that just to end up like all the previous diets I have ever done. And I've not even had the op yet. Am terrified of failure!

Back