• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Eating & drinking separately???

pistachio

Hi
I've been lurking on here for a little while, and decided it was time to say hello. I'm still trying to decide whether or not to go for surgery. The sleeve would more than likely be my choice, if I do go for it. But one thing that keeps sticking in my mind is that I would always have to eat and drink separately from operation onwards. It seems so unnatural. Does anyone have problems with this?? Does anyone regret getting a sleeve? Does anyone feel that they're missing out, by having a sleeve?, or does the weight loss compensate for this? Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks

Having had a band first, where you can't eat and drink at the same time I've got to say no, it doesn't cause a problem.

To be honest I can't remember it being something I did, after so long.

There is of course a reason why you shouldn't which is explaned very well in this video.

There are lots of things that have to change after surgery but most people have it to improve their health, mobility and want to have a fulfilled life. The sleeve has enabled me to have all these things and it's been a good decision. It's important to research all about the various options to find the best for you.
Welcome to the forum and I hope you get lots of answers to your questions.

There are times when no longer being able to do the two together (or at least more quickly than I should) is if I am eating out with others. Mainly because you are never sure when the food will arrive and people have ordered drinks whilst waiting, or coffees after eating. I have various strategies...
Have drink before I go
Order a drink, usually mineral water, and ask them not to open the bottle (then I don't pick up the glass and drink without thinking. As I usually finish first due to my portion size, I then time my 30 minutes and manage some of my water when they are on coffees.

At home I don't find it too much of a problem unless I have eaten something that makes me thirsty, but then I have to be patient. The brain has to learn a lot of new things around what we put in our mouths post-op. This is just one of the smaller ones.

No regrets on having my sleeve. The only real side effect I had was constipation. I am more mobile, my skin is better and I am no longer diabetic.

I find it so hard !! Don't regret my sleeve at all ... but have just been on holiday and the eating drinking 3o mins did my head in ..would have a drink then someone would say let's eat.... then we'd finish food and they'd finish drinks and waiting to go and I'm still waiting to finish drink !
Obviously my friends understand but it really got to me this time
At home its not a problem xx

Thanks guys. I really do have a lot to think about. I feel that I do really want to go for it, but I suppose I'm scared.

;-)

It's totally a life changer in my experience and as time goes on I find it harder. At first the excitement of weight loss takes over but once it stops, or you lose all the weight like I have you are left in a position where life has changed. I can go out for a meal but can't eat anything or nibble a bit of a something then just look like I have an eating disorder! Just think this is for life..holidays aren't the same either, the eating and drinking think is hard too. I do have regrets at times as I love being skinny but I miss food, going out, I'm more moody now and it's frustrating at times. You still have to fight the head demons and use will power not to eat crap and pile the weight back on. WLS is easily cheated, it's not a miracle, I still feel hungry...tough one, would I say go for it? I would say think long and hard and weigh up the health benefits to you at your weight over the long term battle you still may face.
I was on holiday last few weeks, one night I tried to eat one cube of beef, I threw up, one night I ate some ham and cheese Kiev, I threw up, one night I ate some ice cream, I had a hypoglycaemic reaction then threw up! Not pleasant but my reality now. I don't want to be really down about surgery but it is tough. Good luck with your journey

This is just my personal opinion based on my own experience and reading lots of posts on here.

I was 25 stone before I reached a point where I felt I needed to do something drastic about my weight as I had become virtually unable to walk. My Type 2 diabetes was also getting worse and the medication was making me feel very rough.

Why had I let it get to that stage? My mental health wasn't good and doctors telling me I would die if I kept putting on weight only served to make me eat more and losing anything seemed an impossible to my mind as I had no will to do it. Once therapy had sorted my head I felt the urge kick in and was able to ask for help. With 10 stone to lose before I could even be considered for knee surgery, it was a large amount to shift by myself, so I asked for a referral for WLS. It is 2 years since then and I am half way there.

It is a life changing procedure in many ways, some of it hard such as not eating and drinking together, particularly when you are out. Would I be considering it if my knees were ok, I didn't have diabeties and I weighed less than the 15 stone - the goal I am aiming for at the moment, then no as I see it as a tool to help those who have reached the end of the line where they are unlikely to find a way back.

I do see people on here who are going privately at starting weights of less than what a lot of us are aiming for. The NHS for its own reasons needs a much higher weight before you can be considered, and you have to go through a long referral process, which whilst frustrating, does help you get your head around all that is involved.

I would therefore say to anyone of a much lower weight who is considering spending money on a procedure, to go and spend the money on some good therapy first, because it is your head that does most of the work, not the 'tool'.

It's totally a life changer in my experience and as time goes on I find it harder. At first the excitement of weight loss takes over but once it stops, or you lose all the weight like I have you are left in a position where life has changed. I can go out for a meal but can't eat anything or nibble a bit of a something then just look like I have an eating disorder! Just think this is for life..holidays aren't the same either, the eating and drinking think is hard too. I do have regrets at times as I love being skinny but I miss food, going out, I'm more moody now and it's frustrating at times. You still have to fight the head demons and use will power not to eat crap and pile the weight back on. WLS is easily cheated, it's not a miracle, I still feel hungry...tough one, would I say go for it? I would say think long and hard and weigh up the health benefits to you at your weight over the long term battle you still may face.
I was on holiday last few weeks, one night I tried to eat one cube of beef, I threw up, one night I ate some ham and cheese Kiev, I threw up, one night I ate some ice cream, I had a hypoglycaemic reaction then threw up! Not pleasant but my reality now. I don't want to be really down about surgery but it is tough. Good luck with your journey

That sounds really tough going. I had been told you could eventually eat a small, side plate worth of food. Only eating one bite and throwing up sounds like torture, (i appreciate this is often expected at the start, but not far down the line).
X

That sounds really tough going. I had been told you could eventually eat a small, side plate worth of food. Only eating one bite and throwing up sounds like torture, (i appreciate this is often expected at the start, but not far down the line).
X
I have been eating side plate of food since 2 months and have never thrown up, so we are all different.

Yes most sleevers can manage a plate full of food, some much more and some less. It depends how your sleeve turns out. Good luck with your journey..it easier at first but after a few years it becomes a different journey I think.

It's like any habit, a challenge to get it established and then it becomes normal for you.
I can't eat as much as some but my diet was already restricted pre op as I can't have gluten and that took away a lot of the pleasure I previously looked for in food.
I'm rarely sick and manage eating out without a problem. I'm not selfconcious about how much I manage to eat or not drinking with food either so maybe that makes a difference. I've also dealt with much bigger, riskier operations so once I'd made the decision to take the WLS route I felt calm and committed to stick to all the rules because I was choosing to make this change, no one was forcing me.

There's no one identical reason we end up choosing WLS, we all have a different route to the operating table and we all have different experiences afterwards. All you can do is research your options, make your decision and live with it whether it's WLS or not. I was quite unwell immediately after mine but even then I didn't regret it for a second :)

Back