• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Eating habits pre-op

WobblyW

Hi,
I was just wondering what peoples eating habits were pre-op and what operation they are having/had?

I think I eat too much, but also I'm not adverse to the odd sweet treat. I'm thinking this will push me more towards a bypass.

xx
W

Hello, pre-op food intake was huge compared to now. I used to eat off a v large dinner plate and it was piled high. 2-3 takeaways a week and constant snacking. The only way I knew when to stop eating was when others put their knives and forks down. No appetite control or satiety kick in. I had learnt to ignore the signals of being full or just didn't feel full. Not sure which it was here but felt I was out of control. Plate size now is a small t plate and I can see the bottom of the plate, approx 4 tspns of protein, 1 tsp of veg and carb if I have got room. I was too small (BMI wise) to qualify for NHS so went private as I didnt see the point of getting fatter to get thinner? Weird, but hey ho I'm now 9mths out from a RNY and I also had an added insurance of a Fobi ring (to prevent the outlet from stretching later on). It has worked as the restriction is very tight and I'm now 7 st lighter and 7lb off my target weight. So go for it and enjoy your journey and the you that is revealed under all that excess weight. Good luck

Hi WobblyW,

I saw your post on another thread about the psychological test (which I passed with no problems) so thought I could answer both points (from my own personal experience only) in one post.

-- When I had the psychological test (questionnaire and quick brief chat) none of my eating habits came out as "abnormal" -- that is I had never binged and vomited, and never had particularly erratic eating habits, have never skipped meals, always had 3 meals a day (and a few snacks but not massive binge snacks).

-- The problem was (previously) with my meal choices, in quantities and calorie and fat content.

-- I ended up choosing the sleeve for my own personal reasons (having done a lot of research) -- but I know that the bypass would have been my next choice and would have offered me the addition of malabsorption which might lead to faster weight loss.

My eating habits (at my worst 2 years ago) were like this:

BREAKFAST
-- 3 slices of buttered toast

MID-MORNING
-- high calorie Cafe Latte or similar from a London coffee shop or works own cafe (sometimes with a biscuit or two)

LUNCH
-- large works canteen meal (e.g. lasagne and chips, or similar)
-- pudding / sweet treat -- high calorie yogurt or mousse
-- at least one can of fizzy pop usually with calories

6 PM
-- another sandwich (often cheese based) or other high calorie snack (choc bar) and a large bottle of full calorie, full sugar Orange Lucozade

(Hey I was tired after a day at the office and used to frequently feel ravenously hungry the minute I left the office at 6.00 pm -- it might look like just a bad habit, but it was entirely driven by physical hunger signals, not brain hunger ...... and since the op the phsyical hunger signals are (almost) non existant).

8 / 9 PM (on reaching home)
==================
-- very large ready meal or pizza, sometimes with a few veg (sometimes with chips)
-- more fizzy pop

WEEKENDS:
Similar, but breakfast at weekends would often be (most of) a Full English Breakfast at a working men's cafe as my "weekend treat".

I am only a few weeks post op (sleeve) but can feel enough differences already to be fairly sure that the sleeve will physically prevent me being able to return to those previous high calorie, huge portion meals, for instance:

1. I have given up all fizzy pop and did so pre-op.

2. Hunger is almost entirely absent, or at least
very much reduced.

3. When I fill the sleeve with approx 100 grams of food I now feel "FULL" and continue to feel full for many hours -- so it takes many, many more hours for the tiniest bit of hunger to return (7 - 10 hours, whereas pre-op I used to get hungry every 2 - 4 hours).

4. Bread is a total no no and I gave this up as part of my 2012 new year's resolution so 3 rounds of buttered toast will never be on my menu again.

5. If I choose to foolishly fill my sleeve with a Cafe Latte at (or close to) a meal time, I know I will not have enough room for food, so that also will simply not be an option any more.

My eating habits have changed quite alot already. Before I was referred for surgery, I used to eat loads. I ate of a large dinner plate and I would cram as much food on it as possible. Plus I woud go back for seconds. I would have lots of take aways and I was constantly snacking.

Since i've been on several appointments with the Dietitian at the hospital, I have thought about what and how much I eat alot more. Now I eat from a small dinner plate. I no longer have seconds. I also chew my food more and put my knife and fork down after every mouthful. I no longer snack and I eat alot more fruit and veg.

I also bought a slow cooker, which I have found has considerably reduced the amount of fat I use to cook. Infact I don't use any, as the meat cooks in its own juices. My weight loss has been slow, as I have PCOS. But I have lost just over a stone in six months.

Thanks Jan Sharon and Paula, this has been most insightful. My first thoughts were also leaning towards the sleeve, Sharon, as I think my portion sizes are large, but I also have a pre-menstrual snacking problem, which are real cravings for cheese or chocolate. Which kinda made me think more about bypass. Can't say I have ever felt real hunger, I tend to eat because it's mealtimes, and the diabetes says I should. But then again I rarely feel full, unless I really stuff myself, but that's not satisfied full it's stuffed uncomfortable overdone it full. I suppose discussions with dietician will sort this. I have Paula, cut my portion and plate size. Though not having much success with chewing each mouthful, maybe I should try putting the knife and fork down. Problem being, I am reluctant until I am accepted have funding etc to 'diet' again, as I seem to have stabilised and don't want to diet then be refused to only put more weight back on, if you can understand that.

By the way, I'm Wendy, hope I got your names right.
Any comments are welcomed!

Hi Wendy :)

I opted for a bypass for some of the same reasons you've mentioned above. I also knew that if I had a band, I would more than likely slide foods and cheat it.

Have a good talk with your dietitian and consultant. They will be able to advise you on what type of procedure will suit you best, based on your eating habits.

Hi. I'm pre op and although not a large portion eater I eat emotionally I have looked into all my options and believe that a bypass is the way for my to go. If it wasn't for my diabetes then I would love a sleeve but if I am going to do it I may aswell bite the bullet and do the very best for me xx

Thanks Paula,
the more I read the more I think the bypass is the way for me, will be seeing dietician in just over a weeks time. Where are you on your journey? Do you have a date?

Xx
W

I'm pre op, but almost at the top of the waiting list. I should be due to have my surgery at the end of July. It's taken almost two years to get to this point, but I know the wait is going to be worth it :)

Paula Lewis said:
I'm pre op, but almost at the top of the waiting list. I should be due to have my surgery at the end of July. It's taken almost two years to get to this point, but I know the wait is going to be worth it :)

Gosh 2 years, I read others that are done and dusted in 6 months, seems so unfair, I wish you luck and continuing patience, thank god I have loads of that. Where you having your op? Or had that yet to be decided?

Xx
W

I have read lots of posts of people eating vastly more than I ever did. I think my main issue was portion size. In the last few years I have always eaten healthily, as low fat as possible, and cooked without sugar as hubby is diabetic. But I still ate far more of everything than needed, and had plenty of chocolate.

The sleeve has been brilliant at restricting my portions; I eat off the tiniest side plate and can't even finish what I put on it. It hasn't stopped my chocohabit though, and I have to use will power to cope with that.

Back