• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Eating Out on Mushy - Does this sound ok?

NT1977

It's my first day of Mushies on Sunday and my nephew's 16th Birthday so the whole family are going out for a meal. No one on this side of the family know about my band so I am going to say I have a tooth ache if anyone asks why I am not eating a lot / drinking fizzy or alcohol.

So we are going to Harvester and I thought I could have water or a J20 for a drink (are they still? never had one?) and then looking at the menu Salmon with mash potato / baked potato (only eat the middle). Would I be better ordering a sauce to go with it to help?

Does this sound ok? I am a bit worried about it getting stuck but will chew chew chew!

N x

A lot of people have trouble with salmon. If you do have it, ask for it to be slightly underdone. If they have lemon sole, seabass or plaice on the menu, they are much softer and easier to eat. I would ask for a sauce on the side just in case it is made with cream or ask for a tomato based sauce. Failing that, go for fish pie! Lol. Have a lovely night xx

They don't have a fish pie or a shepherds pie type dish or I would have gone for that. They do have sea bass, that might be a better option then? or cod and I remove the batter? they wouldn't think that was weird as I never eat batter (makes me feel sick!)

I am pre op so not sure if they is ok but I know the Harvester are really good about letting adults have childrens meals, and on the childrens menu is macaroni cheese which might help.

I'm not sure which op you've had but pasta is generally a no no early on. I'd go with fish. I love sea bass x

I found the ribs at harvester really good on the soft stage as they were really really soft.

I have had a band. Think I will either go with Seabass or ribs. Trying to avoid pasta as I know it can cause problem. I will try it at home at the next phase of eating before my fill x

Oh and I had everything with a sauce at the beginning, it helped it go down.

just check the cal content of sauces I was always told to avoid them as they just add cals. and my provider advised no pasta bread or rice once banded due to that they swell in the pouch although I know other banders do have it , harvester are great for letting you have kids menu or just a starter as a main

Oh yes I will watch the calorie content and only use if needed. My dietician has advised me not to ban anything but to build up to certain things gradually and see how I get on. I certainly will not be eating bread or rice on my first day of real food x

I didn't watch cals at all the beginning. Might be different with a band though!

i would try salmon at home first, I was ok, but you may find sea bass a better option. They do new potatoes and you could take the middle out of the skin and mash (often thinner to eat than mash itself)!

Also they do a cauliflower cheese and tomato tart, leave the pastry but the cauliflower cheese may be ok to eat,

I have just come in from a night out with friends who don't know I have had a sleeve-pass. I am 3 weeks post op and I had halibut with mash and a cream sauce. I asked for the sauce seperate and only had a wee bit of it. I had no starter and just that as a main course. I managed 1/2 of it and it has stayed down, no vomiting, no dumping and it was yummy yum yum! :)

I have just come in from a night out with friends who don't know I have had a sleeve-pass. I am 3 weeks post op and I had halibut with mash and a cream sauce. I asked for the sauce seperate and only had a wee bit of it. I had no starter and just that as a main course. I managed 1/2 of it and it has stayed down, no vomiting, no dumping and it was yummy yum yum! :)

It's great isn't it?! I love eating out now. I feel so much in control now. Fish, mash and sauce is my favourite meal out. I can usually eat all the fish, and a bit of the mash.

Ok, so this thread is posted in the band section and the OP has confirmed that she has indeed had a band.

Now, in my humble opinion - on your first day of mushies, you should be really careful what you have. Sorry but fish and ribs etc, I'm pretty sure wont be on your recommended list of mushy foods.

Think consistency at this stage and if in doubt check with your provider. Mushies are baby food texture. If I was you, I would stick to soup and the toothache story, at least until you know whats ok for you. Experimenting is best tested at home, rather than a family meal with people that dont know about your op xx

Thank you all.

Mazza - fish in sauce with mash is on my providers list so that's what I am going to stick with

Yes I would expect fish, sauce and mash to be - all mushed up it tastes divine too, yumm. Just be careful and take your time xx

I just wanted you to be wary of taking advice that went against your providers

Thanks Mazza - that's where the tooth ache will come in, if I am unhappy or uncomfortable in any way I will just not eat. X

you will be fine.

Just chew chew and chew and wait in between mouthfulls.

I used to love the fish in parsley sauce and mashed sweet potato on mushy stage x

I still enjoy mushy days after fills, they my favourite lol x

Back