• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How Tight is Too Tight?

NT1977

Hi All,

I need some advice. I had a second fill on Monday and I am now at 5mls in a 10ml Band. Everything was fine monday and Tuesday, I stuck to the liquid/mushy diet and then Wednesday I started to eat properly.

Wednesday I was sick three times, even my cheerios came up (in the middle of a conference call - not my finest moment!) and my Rivita which I have been eating fine for weeks. for dinner I managed half a bowl of soup

Then yesterday I seemed to be ok, I had my cereal with milk rather than dry and slowed right down with my lunch which helped, I struggled to eat two rivita with cream cheese. Then for dinner I had chicken salad and again it got stuck or I was full (felt like it was stuck, pain in my chest etc) so I just gave up eating.

This morning I have had porridge as I forgot my breakfast and I have managed half the pot.

Do you think this is normal? does this sound right? my best friend and husband keep telling me they are concerned but I am thinking maybe I need to slow down even more and maybe that this level of food amount wise is right at this restriction?

I would say I can manage about 700 calories a day food wise at the moment, more if you include my daily skinny latte (102 cals) but obviously this is a drink and I don't want to rely on this habit (in fact I want it to go after my holiday in a weeks time!)

Reassurance or advice really appreciated

Heya! This has happened to me before! I would recommend slowing the eating right down - although I'm sure you were eating slow before this new level of restriction changes things! If I ever get into this situation and its now the eating pace causing it then I got onto liquids for a few days. It gives the stomach time to relax because after a fill it swells up and could be agitated. However if its worrying your family - give your provider a call! That's what you 're paying for - you may as well! They might say something totally different to me - such as a defil, but let the professionals help! Hope this helps x

with restriction the foods you can eat often do change, but you really have to slow down your eating, chew chew chew!!! Take much smaller mouthfuls, chew for 30 seconds, wait 30 secs and so on, eating for 20 mins maximum. you should find after a fill you will get fuller quicker, eat less, and what you can eat may well change too, but it sounds as if you're eating too quickly and too big mouthfuls.

Also, it's a lot of trial and error and a lot of people do find chicken and need salad quite hard to digest early post fills.

If you've bought food back up and have actually been sick rather than just PBing then it can often help to go back to liquids for a few days to help settle things down :)

Whats the difference to PB'ing and being sick? I can say it isn't going down past the band and then my body just starts to spasm until the food comes up just as I had eaten it (sorry gross!)

Ok over the weekend I intend to chew chew chew and slow down more. I do tend to eat fast I think plus I have been hungry at meal times as they are so far apart when I am at work for the day

sounds to me like a pretty good restriction you just need to rethink your eating and how your eating slow slow slow chew chew chew and if something regurgitates more than a few times stop eating it

ye agree with all the above.

my lunch tends to be 2 ryvita, tinned tuna and cherry tomatos. it takes me the 20 minutes to eat 2 x x

Sliming is when the food doesn't go through the band but pops back up again surrounded by lots of saliva (yuk, but not as bad as being sick). I get that sometimes if I have maybe eaten too quickly (usually if I am hungry ... Hence I have two or three snacks a day as I cannot wait for 5 hours between meals) also if I have to talk as I am eating or immediately afterwards it can happen as i am not allowing the food to pass through the band. Conference call? As the good ladies said, slower eating, smaller bites, chewing more does really help, as well as understanding when your band/body is telling you you have consumed enough. X

Sliming is when the food doesn't go through the band but pops back up again surrounded by lots of saliva (yuk, but not as bad as being sick). I get that sometimes if I have maybe eaten too quickly (usually if I am hungry ... Hence I have two or three snacks a day as I cannot wait for 5 hours between meals) also if I have to talk as I am eating or immediately afterwards it can happen as i am not allowing the food to pass through the band. Conference call? As the good ladies said, slower eating, smaller bites, chewing more does really help, as well as understanding when your band/body is telling you you have consumed enough. X

Omg that actually made me feel sick reading that! Lol, Thanku so much for explaining what pb'ing is, thankfully that's not happened to me yet.....although after reading they I am defo gonna slow down and chew more! x

Yep that's what's happening! I have spent most of today doing it :-( not good it seems lamb is now an issue but even trifle is doing it now. Feeling slightly stressed. Going to have a break tomorrow And stick to liquids then Re attempt to introduce food on Monday.

Thanks, don't know where I would be without you all. Feel so isolated and only you on here make me feel better and able to openly talk

Yep that's what's happening! I have spent most of today doing it :-( not good it seems lamb is now an issue but even trifle is doing it now. Feeling slightly stressed. Going to have a break tomorrow And stick to liquids then Re attempt to introduce food on Monday.

Thanks, don't know where I would be without you all. Feel so isolated and only you on here make me feel better and able to openly talk

once its happened eating for the next few hours can be problematic in my experience so I ease up and wait a good few hours befor eating again, and be carefull with trifle its a high cal slider

Oh don't worry, trifle is not my type of food it's just my sister made it and wanted me to taste it! Two tiny mouthfuls and up it came. Grim. Hate it even more now x

What does PB stand for? I've been trying to figure it out, lol!

Nina, you might want to do what I did after I had a big "stuck" incident a few weeks back and go back to liquids for a couple of days, it really helped me get past that issue.

Also, and I honestly don't know whether that made a difference or not, but might be worth a try, I had read about pineapple juice helping breaking down the enzymes, so I had a glass of that for a few days. Well, didn't do me any harm anyway, and things did settle, whether they would have at the same rate without the pineapple juice we'll never know, lol!

{{{BIG HUGS}}} to you, I know how you feel and it's horrible. :(

Hi Nina

How are you getting on now? Are you managing to eat anything yet and keep it down?

I had my second fill on Friday and was ok for over the weekend on sloppies, but yesterday at work really struggled to get anything down, I only had 1 and a 1/4 ml in but it feels like he put double in! I had taken cold chicken( chopped into tiny tiny pieces) and stir fry veg, which I have had no problem eating since op, but it was a right bugger yesterday! Ended up only having about half of it throughout the entire day - a couple of mouthfuls every couple of hours. Was really hungry when I got home so had some sloppy weetabix which were ok. Going to try chicken again today - its the only meat I really eat so I am hoping I can handle it! :)

Hope you are doing ok - take care.

Justine x

I am doing ok, it's a learning curve though. I have slowed right down on my eating and I am really taking my time to chew. I am also only putting tiny amounts into my mouth at a time. Last night for dinner I had 2 chicken goujons and a handful of salad, I literally could not have eaten any more.

This is good but I am only hitting about 800 calories a day - is this ok do you think?

Puke Burps! lol love it!

Bookie - I am trying the juice theory too

Purplesparkles - how are you feeling now after your fill?

I am off on my holidays sunday but it is at least self catering in a villa so I can control my diet easier

Nx

Oooh, where are you going?

I am both looking forward and dreading ours, we're spending time with members of my family in a mobile home on the Med coast in September, and food is such an integral part of the French way of life, I think it's going to be tricky at times!

Hiya

Hope you have a great holiday!!

Am feeling ok after my second fill - I can really feel difference now though - like you have had to really slow down and I am struggling to get to 1000 cals per day - having to have yoghurts and choc delight puddings to get something down! I am liking it though and feeling satisfied - it's a weird but nice feeling not to be thinking about food all the time!

Justine x

Back