• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Eating Out Post Sleeve

Kazzer75

A friend of mine recently posted on her blog about what its like to eat out after you have the sleeve operation.

Because I am lazy, I am just going to copy and paste my experiences here to share with you lot.

I have been quite successful with eating out. Tapas at La Tasca was perfect on my birthday. I had a large prawn, a meatball, a piece of white battered fish and a couple of forkfuls of augergine. I even managed to share the churros for afters and nearly 2 glasses of sangria.

Went out for lunch the other day and had a chicken Caesar salad with the dressing on the side. No one even really noticed that I pretty much just ate the chicken and not much else and it was yummy to boot. I had a cappuccino afterwards as well and as a treat, I had demerara sugar in it and it was very yummy!

Also did well with a BBQ. I had 2 big prawns, a hamburger without the bun, a chicken leg and some veggie kebabs which was 2 cherry tomatoes, 2 mushrooms and 4 bits of pepper. Enjoyed it all very much and felt quite normal with my plate of food, no one even noticed that I was eating less. I had a glass of rose as well.

I chewed everything very carefully and none of it was eaten quickly.

Cake seems to go down quite well too. So if you're out celebrating you can join in as well.

I know that some people seem to struggle, but I seem to be able to drink a bit whilst eating without any real problems.

My basic rule is protein first then fruit and veg. I basically avoid all bread and stodge and I have to say that I don't miss it at all.

Looking forward to hearing about all your good experiences with eating life after surgery.

I'm not sure what response you want for this thread???

my sleeve really is helping me to get a grip on food. I still have the odd treat but my eating is sooo much better. Plus i can actually eat everything, just teeny portions :)

Im always grateful for the opportunity ive been given - im on my way to claiming my life back, as are you.

x

Before I had the op I was worried that I would have to give up eating socially.

I guess the point of this thread is for post-sleevers to share on experiences that have worked or not worked as far as eating out and about.

I was really stressed the first few times that I was going to be eating out in front of others, it can be overwhelming.

I also find this type of information totally inspiring because I am eating these things and feeling totally satisfied with such small amounts.

I used to equate good food by how much I could cram in and so the idea of living life where you weren't going to be eating very much was really scarey.

I want people to know that there is nothing scarey at the end of a sleeve operation and that life continues on...better than before.

hi im post op sleeve to, had my op 11th april.... i just want to say, i think that what your saying your eating i take it is in one sitting?.. seems quiet alot! please dont shoot me down tho... chicken leg and a burger and 2 prawns and vege kebabs, washed down while drinking?.. eeek i thought were not supposed to eat and drink at same time...people dont know past ten years what results the sleeve still gives, so why you d break the rules in the beginning and run the risk of streching your stomach back to what it was is beyond me....... also saying about cake going down well, actually that doesnt even need mentioning as yes of course were only human and so we should be able to partake in the occasional slice, BUT i dont want any other post oppers newly ones read this and think oooo well ill try, as you ll only sabotage your op,stick to what advice is given to you, dont eat and drink at the same time.... and on my diet sheet it says for sleevers to avoid bbq meat... BUT its your op, your body so you can do as you please, i only hope it doesnt come back and bite you on the bum ..

gosh dont take offence sweets just read it back and it sounds harsh doesnt mean to be just my opinion, but im so newly post op, i prob havent clue anyways..

good luck on your wl journey xx

Our post op advice (Bliss girls) states that we can eat everything (in moderation). As you know we have to try a little first and see how we get on with it. Our provider said the sleeve was a tool to having a balanced diet - that includes the odd treat. So if its someones birthday, yes we can have cake, obviously itll be a teeny piece.

Im guessing Kazzer didnt put that all on her plate at once, more grazed through it during the BBQ. I was at a BBQ yesterday and i had a lamb kebab skewer, a mini pakora and a burger (no bread). It took me about 30 minutes to work my through it. An hour later i popped back for another mini pakora.

No one noticed i wasnt eating as much as everyone else - its just nice to be able to go out and not feel like a freak!

Everyones different and i know that i definately cant drink and eat at the same time, its something i really miss actually booo!

Congrats on loosing over 4 stones in 3 months Kazzer!

x

Last edited:
The BBQ food was eaten over a period of around 3 hours. The La Tasca food was eaten over about 2 hours. Just want to make clear as it appears that I am giving out unsafe information...

Oh and I should mention that I normally leave lots on my plate which is a huge thing for me as I would have never left or thrown out food from my plate or even anyone else's. It feels very liberating to be okay with leaving food behind.

This whole journey for me is about living as normally as possible.

Not sure how much some of you used to eat, but these are very small portions for me and there is no way that I am stretching stomach back out. I know that this could happen over time, but as you get used to your sleeve you know when you've had enough.

Sorry, but I am still hugely impressed with the tool that the sleeve has given me. I never thought a day would come when a bite of chicken, a prawn and SMALL piece of cake would satisfy me in the slightest.

And I love that I don't feel conspicuous when out with friends and family.

I welcome other opinions though and like hearing about other people, their thoughts and their journeys.

I hesitated for ages about having any sort of weight loss surgery.

I have always felt awkward and embarassed when at a birthday party or similar. I used to get nervous about having a piece of cake because I always felt that people were secretly thinking that I shouldn't be having that piece of cake because I was already too fat.

There was no way that I wanted to go through all the pain, expense and hard work to have an op that turned me into the person that would then have to turn down that piece of cake because I had been so fat that I had needed weight loss surgery and as a result cannot now eat normally at all...so that not only do I feel awkward and embarassed but now so does the host and everyone else around that has to stand there in awkward silence while I looked and sounded even more of a mess than before.

Thats why the sleeve was the right op for me. And I am happy that I can go to La Tasca or to a BBQ with my friends and family because that was the whole point. To fit in, feel comfortable and enjoy life healthily surrounded by people I care about.

I didn't have the op to sit at home sipping water and eating dust, so being able to eat normally is a huge step for me.

Should also add that I am exercising like a demon to make up for days like this and then that is followed by the rest of the week being on track again. Normal living.

Last edited:
I'm sorry i didnt get the point of your post.

It would have been so much clearer if it had started something like, ''you can still eat normally after wls'' all i saw was a whole list of food.

I think you'll find that all wls people should be able to eat a normal diet following surgery. The trick as you get further out is not incorporating the 'birthday cake' on a regular basis....

Well done on being able to enjoy such variety, it's days when you live like this that you realise how wonderful it is to be normal and not feel like a freak :) x

Wow, you really can still eat! I'm nearly five months post op and I can manage about four prawns and they don't usually stay down! I'm not sure whether to be impressed by the amount you can eat or concerned. If it works for you then great.

hi im post op sleeve to, had my op 11th april.... i just want to say, i think that what your saying your eating i take it is in one sitting?.. seems quiet alot! please dont shoot me down tho... chicken leg and a burger and 2 prawns and vege kebabs, washed down while drinking?.. eeek i thought were not supposed to eat and drink at same time...people dont know past ten years what results the sleeve still gives, so why you d break the rules in the beginning and run the risk of streching your stomach back to what it was is beyond me....... also saying about cake going down well, actually that doesnt even need mentioning as yes of course were only human and so we should be able to partake in the occasional slice, BUT i dont want any other post oppers newly ones read this and think oooo well ill try, as you ll only sabotage your op,stick to what advice is given to you, dont eat and drink at the same time.... and on my diet sheet it says for sleevers to avoid bbq meat... BUT its your op, your body so you can do as you please, i only hope it doesnt come back and bite you on the bum ..

gosh dont take offence sweets just read it back and it sounds harsh doesnt mean to be just my opinion, but im so newly post op, i prob havent clue anyways..

good luck on your wl journey xx

Thanks
Jean

I am so amusing to go out for dinner with now, my friends think it's brill I am all about what is healthy if it has been in the freezer or if it is proper fresh, how it is cooked, what sauces does it come with ? Can I can sauce on the side ? you name it I ask it

My usual meal now consists of a piece of fish with roasted veg (my fav) or salad but if the cook food in oil or put dressing on the food it is going straight back to the kitchen - my opinion now on food is that I eat such a small amount that I want it to taste good. Saying that there is an indian restaurant we go to as a group quite often and they will cook food just for me that is very low calorie bless them, but for that they know they will get alot of custom from me and my friends.

As for cake . . . pre-op I could have eaten a mass amount of it now it is something I don't even fancy, I go to friends and ask if they have any fruit for me rather than a biscuit with my drink

Also my daily habits of changed rather than going out for lunch with friends all the time several times a week I get everyone to mine and make them go for a walk in the woods with me and take some fruit and water with us, at first they where a little put out but I told them it was important to me so they do it and now it is something they have come to enjoy.

As far as the booze is concerned I used to be a Strongbow girl, not a chance in hell of that now so I usually stick to mineral water and the nice thing is I don't get any stick from my hubby or friends they know if they did I would strike back at them.

Last year I made alot of my own wine and cakes so I know exactly how much sugar is in these items so I think that puts me off quite a bit but it has to be everyone to their own devices

Good luck to all of you x x

After my op I was told that my stomach was now 250ml in size. I wonder how big everyone else's is?

They said it had been 1100ml and that they took away 850ml. Apparently they measure it whilst you're still in the operating room.

It would be interesting to find out if others know how big their's are.

I wouldnt be concerned about the post that is surprised at how much you can eat. We are all different in what we can eat early on. I remember about 6 weeks post op being able to eat an apple and someone was amazed...

I asked recently how big my stomach was as i was concerned about the volume i can manage, and the response was 'average' the same as others.. I do know i was bypassed the whole 1.5 metres though...

As i said before, it's nice to see people going out and eating and living a normal life xxx

I still can't eat apples or scrambled eggs. Its weird though as you would think that scrambled egg would be fine.

I still can't eat apples or scrambled eggs. Its weird though as you would think that scrambled egg would be fine.

Its not ridiculous at all, most people struggle with eggs at first, my tip? Try a poached egg, they were the first i could manage :) xx

Although I can now manage a reasonable variety of foods I still haven't ventured out to restaurents etc for a "proper meal" but at end of March went out for pub lunch with hubby and son when visiting him in Dorset, best I could manage was a small bowl of lovely thick minestrone soup, the accompanying bread I gave to my son.
I think its still too early for me personally probably because I am so bloody tightfisted I begrudge paying full portion prices when I can barely manage quarter, I feel like I ought to ask for kids menu.
Maybe we ought to carry a health card stating we have had bariatric surgery and can only eat small portions therefore can we have discount please??lol.

Apples/under ripe pears are a big no no for me soft fruits are fine.
I can manage one poached egg with cheese triangle/slice process cheese on top without any problem.
Try making scrambled egg a bit softer buy adding milk and stirring continually or do in microwave.
Other things I can manage are fish in sauce/fish pie which at least gives me protein, most meats I still struggle with except if minced then okay.
Its all still trial and error.

I went out with my family last night, they had fish+chips, gammon+eggs, and little old me well i managed 1/2 a bowl of soup hubby had the bread roll and dipped it in his eggs. mind i must admit i didn't fancy what they were eating i was happy with the soup, which is a shock because i would have eating every thing they left at one time. xx

Back