• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Eating slow enough

Nellyphant

I know I'm not eating slow enough as my booklet from my provider says it should take me 30 minutes. I simply can't sit that long and try to eat as I get bored. I eat at a pace I consider to be very slow and then don't finish what I'm eating as I just can't be bothered.

Anyone got any advice please?

i don't take 30 mins , but know i am eating slow cos even with less food on my plate , i still take twice as long to eat as others with me .

30 mins isnt set in stone honey, if you can eat comfortably in less time then thats ok. As long as its slow enough to feel when your pouch is full, good luck :) xxx

Thanks both, I'm feeling more re-assured now. I am eating slow enough to register every bit that's going done and into my stomach. I haven't been sick or felt like I need to so I can't be eating too fast and overfilling. A little bit of hand holding was needed!

Tbh if you eat to fast you WILL know about it .
I was told to use the 20 rule .... chew for 20 seconds , wait 20 seconds between mouthfuls & if its not gone in 20 mins , leave it as more than that constitutes grazing

We all need hand holding, that's what we are all here for. You get to know your own pace, you know if you are eating too fast if you get wind :O)

I find I eat in between 15-30 minutes. 15 if I'm not doing anything else, 30 if I'm multitasking. it does become very second nature after a while. I started by counting my chews. Eventually you do it automatically until its a good texture to swallow.

Most of my problems come from eating too quickly or having too much in my mouth before I swallow. It is hard breaking a life time of food gobbling habbits....
But if I do eat wrong, it all comes up and I feel awful, so that in itself is a lesson that I have to learn.
I think that you will work out your own pace as to what is comfortable for you. I find that I dont eat anything from my hands (because I tend to take too big a bite and then have difficulty swallowing it...) I rather cut it all up on the place and then make sure I put down the knife and fork between each swallow. I dont think that I wait as long as 20 seconds, but that routine does suit and work well for me, Good luck !!

I think if it feels comfortable to you what your doing then thats ok.

I was thinking about this in the car just now ,post bypass life is second to me now , at just 12 weeks out . I am used to chewing more , smaller mouthfuls , taking my time . I don't feel as I am dieting , just living :)

Back