• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Eeek, heavy duty dentistry!

shelbell

Proudly maintaining
Have to go to the dentist this afternoon and I'm so anxious about it! One of my wisdom teeth is erupted on an odd angle, but hasn't been causing me any bother. An X-ray at maxillofacial last week for my TMJ dysfunction showed it has a hole in it though so dentist took a look and agreed it needs a filling. Now I don't mind the dentist, I don't like needles much but they use the numbing gel first and i'm fine then. But this hole is in an odd place, and as its a wisdom tooth it's in an awkward place for the numbing gel. She's going to try to use it, but it often slips down the throat apparently making you feel unable to swallow and so leading to panicking. Nice.

Plus, she's not sure if it can be filled, she may need to stop halfway through, pack it, and refer me to hospital for an extraction. Which would be horrid! Have only ever heard bad things about wisdom teeth extraction.

So basically both options are scary, not sure which is worse! But as my appointment isn't until 2.50pm I have plenty of time to get myself worked up :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I've had 2 wisdom teeth removed at my local dentist,and I was given numbing injections,they kept asking if it was still numb the whole time throughout it being removed.
So I didn't feel a thing,you will be ok xx

oh shel, how awful for you :( and having all day to worry! aarrgghhhh bless ya, im sure it'll go fine, good luck mate xxx

They won't remove mine at the dentist, because I have too many complicated health problems, so would have to wait till the hospital were able to do it. That I don't like the sound of, waiting with a part worked on and packed tooth :(

I hate local anaesthetic injections, and have a habit of fainting when I have them. Plus I'm a big wussy baby lol.

Ouch Shel :cry: my son had one of his wisdom teeth out in October & to solve the problem of the numbing gel going where it shouldn't, ie down his throat, the dentist applied it with large cotton bud type things. Job done & he didn't feel anything. Hope all goes well for you, honey xx :wave_cry:

Good luck hun hope it all goes ok x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hope everything went ok today.

In case you need to have it removed I recently had a general to take out my infected wisdom tooth, they were fantastic, went down first back very quickly, no pain just odd. When the anesthetic wore off still fine took a few paracetomol just in case. Within the week all healed and forgotten :):)

Oh and I am the biggest wuss when it comes to dentists...cry like a baby usually!!

Thanks Sarah, that's reassuring to hear!

Turns out she was just doing the smaller filling today, she's doing the wisdom one next week :(

I coped ok with today, my tooth is achey where she was working but otherwise ok. Have to keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't set off my TMJ pain with having my mouth wide open for so long.

Back