• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Big Bird - the trials and tribulations of a 48 year old fatty

Tracey a truly superb diary, I thank you. I started off reading today's post a little concerned(the bad) then a grin which broke out into the biggest smile and then giggling by the end of the post x x

Hell if you ever do stand up I want a ticket to that gig!!

Paula x

Tracey a truly superb diary, I thank you. I started off reading today's post a little concerned(the bad) then a grin which broke out into the biggest smile and then giggling by the end of the post x x

Hell if you ever do stand up I want a ticket to that gig!!

Paula x
Thanks Paula, nowt funnier than how life actually happens!! Good luck in the run up to your surgery. T xxx

Hi Tracey, I feel you about the sleeping part. I can sleep on my right side but not my left, it makes the port feel really uncomfortable.
However, the other morning I woke up and I was on my left side and my port felt really, really uncomfortable. Naturally I put my hand to my stomach and to my utter shock and horror my port was protruding out under my skin. I cannot tell you in that instance what was running through my head but politely it went along the lines of ''Oh c**p''
Fortunatly to my GREAT RELIEF!!! when I turned to my left side the protrusion went away.
LOL I mean who could make these things up? I am discovering new things all the time and am now 5 weeks out tomorrow feel like I am getting into a grove, feeling happy and positive and know if I work the band will work. Even if I have stalls as long as it is not down to me and I am still working hard I know in the end it will even out and I will get there and you will too :)

Hi Tracey, great diary, so funny and so true, you should write for a career. I so understand the hot flushes and beard not much of a swap as you say. I too had bad shoulder pain which lasted for around 8 days, but like others have said it does go....the odd thing I didn't realise it had gone until I read about other members having it too....lol. Keep up the diary I reall look forward to it
Best wishes, Liz xx

Loving reading your diary. I am on the Hereford Worcester border, I feel I should pop by for a 'soup'. Enjoy the rest of your break :)

Diary is so enjoyable. Hope you have a great weekend.

Tracey, I think you should write a book..
Love your diary and you seem to be doing really well.
I am having my band on 1st Sept and having days where am excited and then really nervous

Tracey, I think you should write a book..
Love your diary and you seem to be doing really well.
I am having my band on 1st Sept and having days where am excited and then really nervous
Many thanks. You must be really excited, not long now. I was nervous, excited and agitated in the run up to my surgery .... It was much simpler than I'd anticipated but everyone is different and everyones journey their own. It is lovely to be post op, working through the early days and looking forward to some weight loss (hopefully)! T xxx

Loving reading your diary. I am on the Hereford Worcester border, I feel I should pop by for a 'soup'. Enjoy the rest of your break :)
You,d be more than welcome!! T xxx

Sunday 12 August (day 10)
Since last writing my recovery has continued well, scars healing nicely – all except the smallest port which looks a bit angry. It is of course MRSA so I am keeping a close eye on it. Hubs thinks it is because it is not a linear scar, so therefore heals centre out, hence the red-ring. There is no room for male logic on this journey. Logic didn’t get me fat and it sure won’t cure me.

Whilst on the war wound subject, I had two long, very dark linear bruises down my tummy on the left hand side. I decided these were a result of the surgeon resting his camera wand beneath my skin. No amount of reasoning (i.e. “don’t you think he’d have an assistant who’d hold the camera love?”) would deter me from this conclusion. Life has a habit of shooting know-it-all’s in the ass, and offering no easy get out when it does. Standing in bra and pant splendour in the bedroom (isn’t it funny 6 months ago I was lighter than now but couldn’t bear the sight of me, now I’m peacock puffing in the mirror already – what significant differences good choices make) ….. Anyhow, back to M&S bra and pant splendour, hubs squinted from bed and said “careful of that bruise babe, it looks like it is falling off”. Crushed …. My prize bruises are in fact glue lines – where surgeon had rested not a camera internally, but a glue gun externally. I feel like second prize in a crafting contest. I shot a quick “look smug and I’ll hurt you” glance at Mart and tried to reattach my bruise.

Enough body obsessing, and on to how the eating is going. Yesterday was a good cop / bad cop day. Good cop because I ate the requisite number of soup, shakes and yoghurts. All stayed down, all relatively pleasant.

Bad cop is summed up by the word “pleasant”. Pleasant is a middle of the road word like the word alright. It doesn’t really mean anything of significance. If it were a colour it would be pale grey. If anyone tells me they had a pleasant evening I think they were either bored or had gently tolerated dull company (sorry but I am a cynic and live most of my life with one eyebrow raised). It sparks no real emotion. I would rather be called lascivious and, in accordance with the word, live life in a lustful, lewd and unruly fashion than be called pleasant. And this is how I like my food to be. I don’t want pleasant. I want tastes, textures, surprises and excitement. I want my diet to be wanton and rude and naughtily satisfying. But herein lays the problem. For the past 10 and more years I have used food as my theatre. I have entertained family, friends, nurtured my kids, taught them to cook and hubs and I have travelled the world in our kitchen and loved it. Problem is it hasn’t loved me quite so much, like all excess its destiny was misery. So for now I have to work out how to work alongside “pleasant” and find joy in being a dietary middle of the road maiden for a while. The biggest challenge will be finding a replacement spark for my soul, because when I cooked I felt useful, needed and beautiful – I was Nigella Lawson in my head, whirling around with perfect breasts and swiping a drippy chocolate finger across my pouty mouth (okay so mirror reality was different but I never cared). You see, for me it isn’t the food on its own, it’s the theatre – I’m not particularly a comfort eater I’m a kitchen queen …… me thinks I might need a replacement joy. I do hope Martin is up for learning to Tango……

I think I’ll leave it there for today ….. I am surprising myself. I will leave my intended regaling of “The great escape” – a tale of a wonderful expulsion of post-surgical CO2 - for another day. Onwards and upwards WLS compatriots, we live to fight another day and lose another pound.

Last edited:
So true about 'pleasant' & 'food theatre'. Food was literally my life. A food scientist in the food industry for over 25 years. Travelled the world in search of delectable delicious food. For example for 10 years got paid huge amounts to eat & source the best chocolate. Post op I have decided to ensure my love of food & cooking isn't diminished in a bad way just much more control on the eating. I still love cooking, still read my foodie mags, watch my TV cookery progs. I even belong to the Clandestine Cake Club. I just don't eat what I'm not supposed to & not much of it. I eat out in very good restaurants. If I am eating very small portions I want Michelein style dinning.
I make my own preserves & chutneys but give them to friends & family. I still believe 'I'm Nigella' but now have a figure more like hers & can wear lovely clothes & swan around looking sexy & luscious. 5 1/2 stones down & still loosing, it must be working.
Thx for you great diary, really enjoy it.

What a great job!! I trained as a chef when I left school, worked at Ministry of Agriculture in Food Science when I lived in London and had Italian partner for 10 years - life was food based but in London I cycled or walked everywhere. Since marrying and moving north I'm much more sedentary - alas didn't altered foodie lifestyle and my husband is just like me, although doesnt carry weight. Like you I want to retain the quality aspect of food and will carry on cooking as before, but with a different focus. I am so looking forward to getting back to solid foods as Mart is 50 end of the month and there are one or two restaurants on the list! Thanks for the post, appreciated. T xxx

Ps congratulations on the losses, 5.5 st down and still losing, that kind of talk still feels like a pipe dream to me!

Last edited:
Oh what a coincidence food career & my partner is Italian too. He loves his food but luckily doesn't carry weight & goes regularly to the gym. In saying that he is now eating a lot of my 'leftovers' so he needs to watch it.
You will achieve your desired weight loss don't worry. The early stages are very much a learning curve. I'm still learning. I went out to eat last night (on holiday in France at mo) managed a couple of med king prawns & 2 small forkfuls of pasta. My pals ate the rest along with their meal. Had a lovely time. Seeing my dietician next week so looking forward to discussing next stages.

I love this diary!! The way you write is fantastic! You've had me howling, and have said so many things, I feel but cant express! Love it! Well done, and I cant wait to read more! x

Thanks Lisa .....glad you like it. Comments really appreciated

Thursday 16th August 2012
I’ve decided that babies get a raw deal. I deduce this from having lived like a giant baby myself for the past 12 days (13 if we count the time of writing). I have been fed, albeit by choice and myself, a variety of increasingly dull tasting liquids and tomorrow I begin to wean myself. Its mushy food time!

I have dedicated much of the past week to planning, fantasising and imagining my glorious mushy foods menu. I have filled my virtual cupboards with virtual foods, all of which match the “can be mashed with the back of fork criteria”. I have invaded Martin’s dinner plate to the point of annoyance – he apparently doesn’t give a rats ass whether his potatoes meet the mushy criteria, and is dead certain his steak doesn’t so can I please give up trying!

In desperation, and the promise of an uninterrupted plate of food, Martin trundles off to Asda in Hereford with me (we are back in the caravan having spent a weekend at home), to scour the shelves for mushy delights. I am totally crestfallen! 30 minutes of searching and a small pack of creamed root vegetables and a weight watchers cottage pie lie lonely in the trolley. Fear has driven me to systematically declare everything else “too high in sugar”, “too high in carbs”, “too low in protein”, “likely to stick in my pouch” or “not likely to mush enough”. All of this has been ascertained in the presence of other shoppers, many of whom on seeing me peering at calorific and nutritional content smile sympathetically as though they acknowledge my need to do so.

Heartily fed up by this stage Martin disappears to purchase dinner for Ky (our youngest) and himself. Of all the things he could get, of all the foods in Asda, of all the other choices available, he comes back with what can only be described as a death wish purchase – a steamy, hot, roast chicken. Bugger the fact that his brave wife has undergone surgery, bugger the fact she hasn’t chewed for weeks and bugger the fact she still has shoulder pain and is trying bravely to get past jelly. Bugger all of that……..she really will not mind roving round Asda, looking for stuff to mush with the “better than Gucci, better than a date with Beckham” smell of roast chicken wafting beneath her nose. He is genuinely puzzled by my filthy look, so I take me and my band down aisle 9 and purchase a litre of low fat custard in which I fully intend to drown my small pouch sorrows.

Shoulder pain has continued to taunt me, and taint what has been a pretty good journey so far. A second call to Dolan Park resulted in the suggestion that I go and see my GP. Cheers THG - £5k of my own money and now I need to spend more taxpayers’ pounds on follow-up. I am left wondering why if they are concerned enough to suggest GP referral are they not calling me in to see me. Anyhow, 36 hours later (a miracle in term of GP appointments – used the potential pulmonary embolism card to deter receptionist from insisting I see a locum in September) and I am sitting in front of a lovely new young GP (all of about 25 I reckon). Very young GP appeared excited to hear I’d had a gastric band, asked me what type and when told admitted she knew zip about them. As a hypochondriac this instilled immediate fear, only strengthened by her insistence to examine my tummy and for me to tell her when it hurt. For me the most comforting part was when I told her not to worry as she re-examined site of port for a third time, explaining to her what it was. She looked relieved, said my BP & SATs were fine, suggested paracetamol and to keep an eye on it. Pleased someone was relieved, even though it wasn’t me, I left to fend off rolling wind for the 7th day in a row and seek advice from more relevant quarters via my WLS friends.

Decided I needed to bolster flagging spirits so spent some time with Google, entering every gastric band success story search term I could think of. I love looking at the before and after shots, and reading how as weight diminishes everything returns, from an ability to disco dance to a raging libido. [I have mentioned both to Martin who looked simultaneously quizzical and somewhat afraid].

The problem I have with the success stories is that they are alien to me; they are akin to reading stories about folk who win the lottery. They are fantasies much dreamed of but to whom the reality is owned always by someone else. As much as I embarked on this journey to succeed, Mr Doubt still sits on my shoulder, whispering gently “really? You think that will be you? Really?”, and no matter how many times I rally my “I will not be a duckling forever, I will be a swan” call there is some small part of me that believes it cannot be mine.

Anyway, enough morosity for this post ………. I need to kick my own ass (if only my calf would allow it), shore up my dietary defences, get creative with the mushiness and enter my weaning phase. Just think, within two weeks I will be on solids …….. I might even tell Martin I can shower myself without assistance at that point (joke!)… See you soon.

Ah Tracey, chicken . . .one of the things that I am so looking forward to being able to eat again lol so I totally get that. Sorry you're struggling with the pain still :(

The problem I have with the success stories is that they are alien to me; they are akin to reading stories about folk who win the lottery. They are fantasies much dreamed of but to whom the reality is owned always by someone else. As much as I embarked on this journey to succeed, Mr Doubt still sits on my shoulder, whispering gently “really? You think that will be you? Really?”, and no matter how many times I rally my “I will not be a duckling forever, I will be a swan” call there is some small part of me that believes it cannot be mine.

*nods* in fact double *nods* because I totally get this, and feel the same way. Even looking back at school photos Im still the fat one out of the year, all of my photos from junior school and upwards, right through adult hood, I can't picture myself being any other way, and Im sure I still wont see it even when I do get to where I hope to be. And even then, I struggle with believing I can and will get there.

Good luck with the mushy stage . . .I'm still doing a water bomb expression and can hear the milk swishing around LOL

Kat x

You have no idea how this feels like me. I had my op last Tuesday (7th) and although I am losing weight, I feel like it's not quite real. I'm so pleased it's not just me.
I love love love your diary, you are so frank and honest, it's a pleasure to read. Looking forward to reading the next update x

Thanks LubiLu. We are only 4 days apart. Hope you re recovering well, and glad you relate to some of what I wrote. It is my first mushy food day tomorrow, so hopefully all will go well!!!

The shoulder pain will go away eventually!!! When I was on mushy food I had fish fish and fish! Also cauliflower cheese, corned beef hash, heinz hearty meatball soup and chicken curry (whizzed a bit in the blender), bolognaise, Asda do these mash pot things that are good for emergencies the broccoli and cheese one is nice. Melted cheese. Mushy peas! With mint! Nom nom. Any of the Covent garden soups that are more stewy than soupy. The jammin Jamaica one is awesome (sweet potato based) Sweet potato! Mmmm. The gastro pub range of frozen fish are really nice at that stage (perhaps too much fat at later stages) Okay I'm hungry now :) Hopefully something on the list is helpful.
I still feel the same way about getting thinner by the way like its never going to happen to me!! I'm 3 months post op. I've lost 30 pounds and gone from a 22/24 to a 16. It doesn't feel fast enough to me because I stall stall stall! This is because I go to the pub though (even if I keep under calories something about alcohol stops weight loss for me)(and pork scratchings :)) Then I realise I'm almost the lightest I've been since I was 16 and it puts it into perspective.. Also not having to move my boobs/belly out the way to see how much I weigh!! It's the little NSVs that keep you going. I have written lists and checklists as long as my arm!!!! Anyways I'm rambling, keep in there, and please keep writing your diary, it's awesome!!!!! Xx

Back