• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Big Bird - the trials and tribulations of a 48 year old fatty

Tracey1404

Enjoyin' my journey....
Being known as Big Bird to family and friends alike once referred to my height but more latterly my weight! The former was fine, the latter was accepted with a tight smile!

10 years of yo-yo dieting, weight losses ranging from 0 - 5 stones and moving from shopping in Next to Marisota saw me lost under 10 stone of excess weight, knowing I still existed but not having a clue how to find myself again.

I suppose we all have a tipping point and mine was a simple visit to the GP to have a spider bite on my leg examined. Turned out it was cellulitis, I was also told my swollen ankles were due to mild hereditary lymphoma and was recommended a spirometry test as the GP noticed I was quite breathless!! So instead of collecting an expected steroid cream prescription I was booked in for an ECG, spirometry and blood tests. Yeh - and weighing in at 22st 8lbs was the icing on the cake.

On the way home I looked at my husband, who squeezed my arm and said it would be okay. I heard myself saying it wouldn't, that I was a fat, overweight mess and needed to change my life NOW! Much drama, many tears, gnashing of teeth and wailing. My husband - used to my Judy Garland-like outbursts, just said "whatever it takes babe!".

Fast forward four weeks later, we are sitting in Dolan Park hospital, overnight bag in hand telling hubs where the wills are kept, how much my pension is worth and how it should be divvied up amongst the kids. Gastric band surgery is an hour away and I am convinced anaesthesia will be the end of me.

Fast forward 3 hours and a great guy called Dave from Oldbury, my wake up nurse, is calling me out of unconsciousness, making me laugh and wheeling me back to room 26 where hubs is waiting in the corridor, looking anxious, relieved and smiley all at the same time.

I'd been fitted with a 14ml band + 5ml fill to kick start my journey.

Fast forward 3 days and here I am, at home, beginning this diary blog in the hope of sharing some experience, gained wisdom and (holding breath here) a story of continued success!

First three days have been good. Odd, but good. Day of surgery (3 August) was fine - much better than anticipated, cannot fault THG staff they were wonderful. I felt informed, looked after and cared for. Coming home day was good too - just nice to be home. Managed a quick shop for some soups and fresh veg to make soups and watched super saturday Olympic triumphs. Sunday 5 August not as good - okay but felt winded most of the day, kicked in the stomach by a horse kind of feeling whenever I tried to stand up, and although managing liquids and yoghurt okay already feel sick at the sight of soup.

Winding up this entry I want to mention the small things that have taken me by surprise. Firstly how good I felt immediately after surgery - but then morphine is a very good friend I gather, secondly how very aware I am that I have a gastric band fitted and that we need to work together (I'm quite nervous about testing it too much and approached first drink, first smoothy, etc with caution - bit like bending down to stroke a growling dog!), and lastly - and perhaps the most inconvenient bit - how much I hate sleeping on my back!! This was not mentioned to me and came as a big shock surprise that i can no longer lie on my side with my head supported by my elbow. This might sound like a small thing, but to me it is a huge subtraction from an everyday comfort and I am just hoping I will be able to resume usual sleeping pose once fully healed. At the moment I lie on my back, slightly panicked (because I can be) and try to sleep. Then again, I always find it is the oddest and often unknown things in life that affect us the most!!

Don't worry about the sleeping. Normal service will be resumed very soon.

You reminded me, how lovely it feels to go from being the big bird towering over people and feeling like I intimidated them, to someone who is small enough for everyone to want to protect. Its such a warm, fluffy feeling. Not that I need protecting LOL :rolleyes:

Look forward to reading your updates. Have a great day Tracy :)

Really enjoyed your diary, I so know how you feel I am going to have a sleeve end of year, am so so excited for you. Heres to a speedy recovery and weight loss. So glad you've had it done.Take it easy and be gentle to yourself. Looking forward to hearing your success, imagine how much better youll look by Christmas take a photo of you now, to compare then! good luck!

Well done. Loved your post. Good luck. Waiting or next chapter. Thx.

Monday 6 August 2012 ... 17.29pm
Not a dignified start today. Rolled out of bed as taught by nurse at THG, tried to dash to the bathroom but hampered by recovering tummy. Catching sight of myself in bathroom mirror was not so pretty - I was a pure double for Mrs Overalls from Acorn Antiques. Early doors I know, but all I could think as ablutions were in progress was "really ... £5k to look like that? ... really?"!

Decided to shower tomorrow (still a day earlier than recommended) so settled for cat lick and washing my hair over the sink (not easy). Actually do feel much better than yesterday, kicked feeling subsided to dull ache, but pockets of what can only be anaesthesia wind continue to bubble throughout my tummy and now up in left hand side of chest. Sharp pains that stop you in tracks for a gentle burp, but one that then betrays its promise as the wind disappears back into a cavity to live another day.

Sandra from Dolan Park called to see how I was doing post-op; sort of helpful chat, although so well briefed at the hospital before discharge not an awful lot to say. Sandra confirmed I'd get my follow up appointment by email or post within next day or two and would be seen within the next 4-6 weeks. We ended with a helpful if not attractive chat about Dulcolese laxative syrup and the merits of preventative use, rather than waiting until it is all too late. Comforting to see aftercare initiated on the first working day after my operation.

Visited my mum, dad and then sister this morning. A nice time examining entrance and exit wounds on my tummy, telling me I already looked thinner (not true as feel like telly tubby with gas in belly) and sharing stories of how they watched the entire grim procedure on You Tube the day of my op (cheers folks)! They are genuinely supportive and happily support my decision to be open and unapologetic about my surgery without shouting about if from the rooftops.

Diet wise I have discovered the joys of Total fat free greek yoghurt. 100g = 10g protein and only 57 calories. Whisked with a bit of milk it will help ensure I hit my protein target. Developed an absolute aversion to soup - which I have always loved and swore would be my post-operative mainstay. Had a slim fast protein shake early afternoon = vile vanilla as it is now called - I really like it until halfway through then it is the most sickly taste ever invented. Mental note to do shakes in 100ml portions going forward.

An interesting afternoon nap (knackered at moment) taken on my back of course (still protesting lack of sleeping on side). Sleeping on my back induces a loud, snort or snore which is strong enough to wake me up. Wouldn't mind but woke up to son and hubby actually laughing at the snore that woke me up! [my day will come boys].

It is now almost 6pm and life at home has returned to normal for everyone but me I fear. Post - operative sympathy dead and buried, sink that was shiny and empty is beginning to gather crocks [reminder to all: the bloody dishwasher is directly underneath!]. Im not sure how others who have had a band felt at this point, but I'm in a sort of limbo. I'm waiting for my life to resume, but not quite sure what that means now. Hubby is slow roasting a side of belly pork - smell divine but idea of eating it not appealing.

I suppose this is like when I gave up smoking. The decision to change is absolute. Eating more than I need for pleasure, comfort, happiness or the hell of it is something I no longer do. It is something I will never do again. I did open the fridge and see spinach, ricotta and pesto on my pasta sauce shelf. Like my eating habits they were all out of date. I think we all wept a silent weep as I deposited my outdated friends into the bin and returned to try to look affectionately at my low fat devon custard. Just like nicotine has been replaced by the joy of not smoking, I need to respectfully mourn the passing of my old habits and look forward to forging new ones (just wish I already had!).

Hi Tracy
Loving your diary. I'm exactly the same with the dull ache and wind! Hubby is back at work today so I've been threw in at the deep end with the kids! How's your wounds? Mine are itchy and I really want to scratch! I have a big bruise under one of the larger incisions at the front and I've had a wee feel about - my port is right there lol easily amused.
Tracy

Hi Tracy
Loving your diary. I'm exactly the same with the dull ache and wind! Hubby is back at work today so I've been threw in at the deep end with the kids! How's your wounds? Mine are itchy and I really want to scratch! I have a big bruise under one of the larger incisions at the front and I've had a wee feel about - my port is right there lol easily amused.
Tracy
Hi Tracey - thanks. Its good therapy for me and helps me see the bright side rather than dip into the dark side of changing for ever!! My wounds are same as yours, itchy as hell and bruising coming out in force. I think I have felt my port - in fact sure I have. Apparently it becomes more apparent as you begin to drop weight - makes sense I suppose. When are you doing a first weigh in by the way? I am toying with weighing once a month and doing measures every other week. If i could bear it I'd even leave weighing to between Dolan Park visits, but I fear nosiness will prevail and i will be weak!! Keep in touch. T xxx

I usually weigh myself every Friday so I'm going to stick to that - probably do my measurements every couple of weeks.

Wednesday 8th August 2012 ....
My band and I woke early today, around 5.15am to the sound of a thousand ducks foraging beneath our caravan. Yep, we have a touring caravan, sited for a month in Hereford. We decided yesterday, on the promise of a semi decent forecast, to decamp for a few days of reading, fishing and watching Olympics.

Not sure how others feel, but I am really aware that life is now me and my band. Even though only day 5, I feel like I have a secret club membership (not quite the Masons granted) and that this membership sets me silently apart from others! Dramatic as it sounds, I just know that I will stare surreptitiously in the trollies of fellow shoppers at Morrisons - giving a gentle shake of my head when eyeing a rib eye steak and whispering silently in tones Victoria Wood would be proud of "oh no .... not for me .... I'm a bander". My only hope as I move forward is that I do this happily, and not as I overcome the urge to dive headlong into my compatriots trolley to forage amongst forbidden fruits!!

Being a bander was not easy yesterday. My body is feeling better, other than the insatiable itching now experienced from at least 4 recovering portholes on my belly (on this note does anyone else feel like an extra from the Matrix?). Twice I near reached for sandpaper to quell the rising itching - but I also enjoyed examining the peeling glue and feared removing my fingers would be the only way to stop me wanting to peel it off! I have decided all parts of my Bandit journey are to be explored and exploited – it is the only way I will survive.

Back to the difficult bit – I am developing an aversion to some of my favourite foods – soup in particular. Long suffering hubs has so far made a new batch of soup each day, yesterday being broccoli and stilton – I manage half a cup and immediately go off the smell, taste and look of it. Joking apart this is a serious concern – I have lived 4 decades loving everything other than crabsticks and find the concept of not liking a food very alien and disconcerting. Shared concerns with WLS friends and relieved to find it fairly common. This dislike is a relief in a way as it may give me a head start … who knows?

I did a noble thing mind, I cooked four large lasagnes – 1 for bringing to the caravan, one for the freezer and two for son number two and my nephew who are in charge of house while we are away. Both confusingly named Matthew and both 19 – not sure where my faith is best placed, in them at home or in my band! I surprised myself as I really enjoyed cooking today It is one of few things I have a talent for (would have preferred thespian, linguistic or musical abilities to be honest but it was not to be). It was nice to cook for the family without feeling bitter or deprived – let’s hope this lasts.

Spent some time on WLS site – which I love doing. It is that “being amongst those who know” feeling that is so comforting. The need to share, read and be comforted by others in the same spot/space is really important. Family and friends can provide support but I genuinely think I would feel isolated without the Forum support. Living as a bander is different, and I do feel it has set me apart from others. At this early stage it is all consuming – it is about recovery, it is about hope, it is about changing most aspects of every day, it is about mourning the loss of half kilo of pasta, it is about trying to enjoy a triple Emmerdale-Corrie-Emmerdale in the absence of food (ashamedly I would time my meals around this triple fest of escapism). It is also about watching your family – as if through a glass bubble – conduct life in a pre-banded fashion. There have already been times when I feel like calling “hello, I’m here, I have a band, I can’t sit there with you and the Sunday roast anymore”. Losses aside it is also about sitting quietly and horizon scanning, imagining tumbling down through the stones and dress sizes, capturing an admiring glance from oneself when catching sight of oneself in a shop window, and in knowing that amongst all this change and difference we have planted a seed of triumph. I end with a rousing cry of “I will not be a duckling forever – I will be a swan”…. And saying a big thanks to Bella’s Band who has honestly shared her struggles with us and from whom I have drawn great inspiration.

Tracey, am really enjoying following your diary :)

Tracey loving you diary, im off for my band @ dolan park on the 22 and i want to be a swan too xxx
Swans we will be! Great team at Dolan Park, you will be well looked after, I was and I was very anxious on arrival. T xxx

Great diary, Tracey.......you say cooking is one of the few things you have a talent for, well i think you could become a journalist/writer etc if this diary is anything to go by!!! x

Aww -thanks Caroline, that is really kind and I have blushed a little!! I enjoy pen to paper so to speak, find it cathartic - I also live with all men (having been raised with 3 sisters no brothers) .... Love them as I do I need a different outlet for this journey ..... They are supportive but do not really indulge girls chat and emotion so well as is needed!! T xxx

Friday 10th August 2012
This journey – if counted from day of surgery – is now entering day 8, and is surprising me at every turn. Two things have happened, the first occurred immediately following surgery and the second began Tuesday evening. As always it is a good new bad news story, so here’s the good news. I, Tracey Kay Guise, 48, having suffered 37 years of periods, entered the peri-menopause (apparently the gentle leverage towards the full blown job) about 6 months ago. Early starter but there you go. As many of you may know the cessation of periods (which should be a wonderful thing) is swiftly replaced by hot flushes and a beard! I have lived most of the past three months in front of a fan plucking errant hair from my chin. Add in fat and it is not a pretty picture. So was totally relieved to see a fan in room at Dolan Park … queue the change …. Not a single, solitary hot flush since surgery. Now whether this is down to my decision to quit caffeine entirely or down to surgery I’m neither sure nor do I care. Not having to run the hot night sweats gauntlet of “out of bed – dash to loo for an obligatory overweight wee – stand naked in front of fan” is enough for me. Apart from being possibly my only form of pre surgery exercise, it did nothing for romance. First sleeps extending beyond two hour duration are magnificent and welcomed.

Bad news, and in a way deserved due to being smug and thinking I’d totally escaped it, is shoulder pain. Woke from a short snooze Tuesday evening to a feeling that someone had hammer thrown me by the left arm during my sleep. Not really sure why, but my first reaction to pain is to call my husband to diagnose me and make it better. His first response is to remind me that as an ex-flooring fitter he finds clinical diagnoses rather difficult. The shoulder pain was hideous (I am, remember, a self-confessed hypochondriac with the pain threshold of a petulant child). Hurt when I breathed in, hurt when I didn’t (opted for former as latter has more serious long term consequences). Phoned a friend who has had abdo-surgery, who said exactly the wrong thing and said to beware post-surgical embolisms. I immediately entered “dead by dawn” mode and took myself off for a walk round the lake (we are still caravanning in Hereford). Walking, rolling my shoulders, sucking on windeeze resulted in temporary relief and several loud (and twice very public) burps. Shame knows no boundaries when necessity kicks in mind – I was mildly pleased it was just an upward escape of air otherwise I would now be known as the farting woman on pitch 12.

Rest of evening okay, loving jelly which I haven’t eaten since childhood and low fat custard, something I never ate at all pre-surgery. Showered before bed and quite amazed how well scars are doing. Didn’t need to replace dressings as all sealed and dry. The bruises are painting a lovely mid-riff tapestry most tattoo artists would be proud of. Photographed them for posterity and to show to friends at dinner parties. I’ve endured enough ghastly kids and holiday shots to last me a lifetime, photographic revenge on this occasion is a dish best eaten post-surgery!

Yesterday began with a Hallelujah moment, albeit rather unexpected. An early morning visit to campsite loo resulted in more than the much needed wee. Not easy in execution, but executed all the same I returned to caravan wondering exactly what in the body-weight of liquids I have consumed could have resulted in that. There you go – the wonders of science.

Yesterday morning was an odd morning. Not sure why but feeling a bit down, possibly due to my new friend called shoulder pain. Draggy, naggy toothache type pain that moves from dull to stabbing on breathing in deeply. Rang Dolan Park just to check it was normal – got an okay exchange by telephone, yes all normal, not unlikely to be pulmonary embolism, just keep doing what you are doing kind of response. As this surgery is the biggest thing to happen to me in years I expect everyone I have come in contact with to view it with the same uniqueness that I do. Of course at Dolan Park they see hundreds of us. We are names to be cared for well once our £5k is parted with (money well spent I hasten to add). The important patients to them are those directly in their charge at the time (& rightly so). This does not distract from the fact that the nurse I spoke to was the one who discharged me. She did not remember my name, let alone my eye colour. I was more upset by my anonymity than I was by my shoulder pain at the end of the conversation! I am not ready to slip into post-band surgery anonymity just yet. Until I can revel in slimness I want to hang on to my post-surgery notoriety for a few minutes more.

Of course the best advice as always was from my WLS friends. From windmill arms to rocking on all fours (neither to be done publicly …. Oh go on then!), to peppermint tea (which seems to be universally recommended and universally hated) …. All helpful and welcomed. Most helpful comment was from Tracyg who was a same day surgery buddy “if we both experienced it is unlikely it is embolism”. Thanks Tracy, because of you I will sleep well tonight and my husband will be spared the torture of my pending demise.

Not too much to say food wise today, ate okay, soup, yoghurt, soup, yogurt, shake, soup, shake, tea, soup. All stayed down, although must slow down as almost had first return as I finished half-tin oxtail soup in the same time Bolt did the 200 metres only minutes earlier. Lesson learnt as I rocked backwards and forwards adding severe (albeit brief) tummy cramp to shoulder pain.

Last word of today goes to my nephew – one of my life’s greatest kids, 19, smart as hell and my academic companion in life. On asking how I was finding my liquid diet I said fine, not feeling hungry to be honest. His reply “sweet Jesus they’ve cured you!” I laughed so hard I cried, both at his comment and at how much I love this bearded soon to be off to Durham University kid. Whether they have “cured” me or not, it is because I want my times with family to be long, extended and happy that I am here. Without them life would be nothing, finding me again will help me enjoy them even more.

Last edited:
Your diary is ace!! You should get it published :) It's funny you say about your hot flushes going. I've not had a period for years but I've had two since surgery 3 months ago. I have the mirena coil and shouldn't have periods at all. I read somewhere that your hormones that are stored up in your fat are released as you lose weight hence the one minute you are laughing, the next you are crying, then you want to leave your husband, the next he's the best thing since sliced bread, then you've redecorated the living room after doing a five mile bike ride. As for the shoulder pain, it sucks and makes no sense as it doesn't feel like trapped wind (how can it be in your bones?!?!) but it will go eventually.. I think mine took 2 weeks to go completely. Walking helps, and going somewhere where you'd die of embarrassment if you burped or farted will ensure the pesky wind will escape. (the deli at waitrose was a good one!) Get used to the burping though, I burp about 8 million times a day post banding :)

Thanks Dinky, keeps me sane! Thanks for wind escape tips, I will let you know where th greatest escape occurs! The hormone stuff appears to be true, just hoping the flushes stay at bay. They make periods look like a dance in the park. T xxx

Back