• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Big Bird - the trials and tribulations of a 48 year old fatty

The shoulder pain will go away eventually!!! When I was on mushy food I had fish fish and fish! Also cauliflower cheese, corned beef hash, heinz hearty meatball soup and chicken curry (whizzed a bit in the blender), bolognaise, Asda do these mash pot things that are good for emergencies the broccoli and cheese one is nice. Melted cheese. Mushy peas! With mint! Nom nom. Any of the Covent garden soups that are more stewy than soupy. The jammin Jamaica one is awesome (sweet potato based) Sweet potato! Mmmm. The gastro pub range of frozen fish are really nice at that stage (perhaps too much fat at later stages) Okay I'm hungry now :) Hopefully something on the list is helpful.
I still feel the same way about getting thinner by the way like its never going to happen to me!! I'm 3 months post op. I've lost 30 pounds and gone from a 22/24 to a 16. It doesn't feel fast enough to me because I stall stall stall! This is because I go to the pub though (even if I keep under calories something about alcohol stops weight loss for me)(and pork scratchings :)) Then I realise I'm almost the lightest I've been since I was 16 and it puts it into perspective.. Also not having to move my boobs/belly out the way to see how much I weigh!! It's the little NSVs that keep you going. I have written lists and checklists as long as my arm!!!! Anyways I'm rambling, keep in there, and please keep writing your diary, it's awesome!!!!! Xx
Thanks for the food tips Dinky - I will overcome my fear and be bold - part of my fear is about liking something too much and dipping back into overeating!! LOL, LOL, LOL on the belly and boobs comment - now that will be a benefit well worth waiting for. Tracey xxx

I've been on pureed food since 2 days after op. Everything seems to be going down well, but trying to get my protein portions in. Feels like I am eating all the time. I just finish one lot, wash up, and it's on to the next. Weight is coming off quite quick, but I know this will slow.

Hi LubiLu, you've lost an amazing amount of weight already - did you have a band before bypass or was loss down to willpower? As bander advised I eat 3 meals a day only and not graze. I would prefer to graze, but then grazing got me to the point of needing a band!!! Tracey xxx

Hiya Tracey, I lost most of it before surgery. Hospital made me have a Gastric Balloon for 6 months and I lost 2.5st with that. I lost the rest with Slimming World.
Maybe the bypass is slightly different, but the dietition told me I should be eating every 2/3 hours. Never thought I would say it, but sick of eating.

Tracey, I eat more than the three meals a day, but that is because my stomach creates a lot of gas if i leave eating too long, which results in tummy ache :( Also I eat far too quickly if I get really hungry and then food tends to get stuck.

All I used to make sure was that I ate healthy 'inbetween' meals and that whatever I had was planned in and recorded in my diary. This approach not sent me off track and I honestly believe its actually helped me lose more weight and quickly, without having to drop as low in calories as some other banders. So much so, that I am slowly increasing my meal sizes and am having over 1500 calories a day at the moment and still losing weight so I reckon I have boosted my metabolism if that's possible :rolleyes:

I am up from 4.30am till 10.00pm, so three meals really is just not right for me personally. Not saying its the right way, but it's the approach that has worked for me, so I am going to stick with it. Just chat with your dietician and see if you can come up with a plan that's going to work for you x

Tracey, I eat more than the three meals a day, but that is because my stomach creates a lot of gas if i leave eating too long, which results in tummy ache :( Also I eat far too quickly if I get really hungry and then food tends to get stuck.

All I used to make sure was that I ate healthy 'inbetween' meals and that whatever I had was planned in and recorded in my diary. This approach not sent me off track and I honestly believe its actually helped me lose more weight and quickly, without having to drop as low in calories as some other banders. So much so, that I am slowly increasing my meal sizes and am having over 1500 calories a day at the moment and still losing weight so I reckon I have boosted my metabolism if that's possible :rolleyes:

I am up from 4.30am till 10.00pm, so three meals really is just not right for me personally. Not saying its the right way, but it's the approach that has worked for me, so I am going to stick with it. Just chat with your dietician and see if you can come up with a plan that's going to work for you x
Many thanks for this, really helpful advice. Like you I wake early - 5.00am as I work 7.00 - 2.45 to beat traffic in and out of Birmingham. I usually go to bed around 10.30pm so up for quite a while. I think I am going to spread my calories across 5-6 smaller meals, it will work better for me. I get very grouchy and lose concentration if I get over hungry. The metabolism bit is interesting. One of my goals is to boot my metabolism if I can as I feel it is sluggish. I am planning 2 distinct cardio exercise sessions a day - 30 minutes walking dogs after work or am at weekends + 30 minutes on my i-fit treadmill. I also plan to resume Pilates to tone and stregnthen as I go along. Hopefully these along with my small healthy meals routine will help me acheive in the way that you have (must remind myself that it is absolutely fine for me to believe this!!!). Thanks again for the advice, it has removed some fear to be honest, I was panicking at limiting food intake to 3 times a day. Traecy xxx

What an amazing story, can't wait for the next installment, some of the things you mention, really did hit home, it is all consuming, I spend hours combing the Internet to see if others share my thoughts and feelings, or if I am a complete freakazoid, for thinking that it's just me. Good luck with the weight loss, can't wait to read what happens next.
Ps I want to be a swan too
X

Thanks Sarah - great job on your weight loss so far, we are same height and I have set my target at 180lbs, any lower and I'd be ecstatic!!

Tracey, Always love to read your updates.

My dietician has given me guidlines on what to eat and how much etc when on your stage of this journey but at the end of the day you have got to try things that work for you. We are all so different.

All the best Jane xx

Thanks - doing okay and overdue and update in my diary, have been away so will do catch up later this week!!! Tracey xxx

Back