• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hiya Guys x Fill Update

fatbutnot4eva

Loves her gorgeous family
Sorry I have not been on much lately so hope all went well with those ops I missed and good luck to all the new ones.

Well I had my first fill on Tuesday, not what I expected really.
Got there an hour early as traffoc wasnt bad.
Had to wait till 8.30am
changed into gown (well 2 as they were small I mean I was big !!) went into room, sipped barium stuff blah !! stoody up and was x rayed. Everything was in the right place I didnt see xray.
Then they steralised all the equipment and I had to lie on the xray table the nice man covered my dignity (boobs and front bum) with one of the gowns and a sheet for the bottom half. (at this point I was thinking how easy it woudl be if i were a bloke) He had a feel for teh port which he found and he used a marker to mark it then a plastic pen top thing to put a ring dent that he described as a nail mark. He then steralised my under boob area and placed a sheet thing with a square cut out that stuck to me, he then used aneasthetic to numb teh area like he said they use at the dentist, he then instered a needle into the port checking teh xray machine at all times, he added a small amount of saline and checked again, he then tilted the bed / machine so i was at an angle and he then asked me to sip the baruim from a straw and it went straight through the band which is what he wanted, the nurse then said for me to try bread which i though mmm yummy well NO they soaked a large spoonful of bread in barium and i had to put it in my mouth and chew then wen they said swallow yuck yuck yuck, well i did this and wow you should have seen teh xray machine it was crazy the bread was in my stomach above the band and stayed there, they ashed how i felt...urmm i said no different and said sorry but i didnt know how i felt, they had only put 2mm in but felt it was enough, i had to sip a fruit flavoured liquid and ome of teh bread went through the band which they said was spot on and that if i had a drink of water the bread woudl go through so that was my fill 2mm.
I left got dressed and went home.
I was a litle upset at only 2mm but have to say yes I know i have it and i have had a few "moments" where i have not chewed or eated something silly and have suffered.
but it seems to be working, other than the port area being a little sore the next day I am fine and am eating much less and feelign full.
so far so good, weight loss is slow but I can see a difference in my clothes and hubby and my mum have noticed, no one else has probably because i am always in my coat gloves, scarf etc etc..
so all you who have not had a fill yet it really is nothing to worry about, mine felt a little clinical a bit like going for an operation but I wont be worried for the next time as there is no need at all xxx

Hiya

Glad it went ok! Ive never had an xray fill so its interesting to read what happens during one.

Good luck with this fill x

Thanks for the info , I never had a fill with Xray either, I would be interested to have one though just to double check everything. Unfortunately I have to pay for that though.

It was really crazy seeing the port and the band - at least i know i have one lol
I had read on most peoples threads that they were done without xray - not sure if everyone will be with an xray.
I can pretty much eat anything as long as i chew chew chew
i had tuna made really runny on bread last night had one first bite and didnt chew so had a massive pain so had to have a drink then just chewed and ate slow.
I can eat one piece of bread with half a tin of tuna mayo on.
I made 2 chicken drumsticks last night and managed one and a half which is not like me... i could eat a full chicken as long as its cooked lol.
I am not a snacker so I just have large meals so they are now smaller than my kids meals.
I have pinched a few kids bits like wotsits quavers etc and its easy to see how you can cheat as they just melt and go through the band so I dont know if I am righht or wrong eating more substancial things i.e bread that fill me up or i shoudl be eating mushier food but hey I am losing weight and happy so who cares.
x

Hi, I'm not a bander but found it interesting to read when you have a fill with an xray, thank you!

Cuppa xx

A big thanks for the info , i have my first fill on 15th March at Heartlands (6wks after op , is this the norm?) so very useful, not looking forward to the drink sounds rough. x

Hi

I had mine at 4 weeks 1 day which is a bit early not sure why it was done before the 6 weeks
i was dreading the drink as i heave lol but it was fine and you only need a tiny amount the bread bit wasnt very nice but in all honesty i had worse LOL
x

Still amazes me how different hospitals can be.

My fill under xray involved me standing up, in normal clothes, just lifted them up, fill needle in and drink barium in front of fluroscope, then adjusting it, needle out, done.

I even had an audience of student doctors from abroad to sit in.

I'm not a bander and I can see why I now chose the bypass, I'd be so inpatient waiting inbetween fills! You all must be very patient people and really dedicated to your surgery of choice, I take my hat off to you all.

Back