• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Embarrassed and Ashamed but needed to post!!!!

mandy-1975

Hi Everyone,

I am not new to Mini Mins but new to WLS I have done LL and Cambridge and failed at them all, I have since put on all and more of what I lost, same old story with every diet I try!!!!

I spoke to my GP about WLS and he referred me he was fantastic, I suffer with depression, so on 27 March 2008 I went for my pre op assessment, I was so nervous and scared, but they were lovely, I saw 4 different people, the consultant, the anesitist, diatician and the pre op nurse.... then the consultant sat and chatted with me and gave me the choice of the bypass and the sleeved procedure he explained both to me and told me to research the sleeved procedure and then just to let him now which one I wanted, and booked me in for the 15 May!!!

I am scared and the closer it gets the more nervous I get, my dreams are really vivid, my birthday is the 21 May and my Wedding Anniversary is on the 23rd and we had arranged a party for it as it is 10 years of marraige... I have said i will go ahead with it but wont be doing much dancing...LOL

My consultant didnt explain to me about the vitamin tablets!!!! can someone enlighten me on these!

I am positive about this surgery alot of people think it is to drastic and all i say is spend a day my size and then tell me it is drastic.......

I really feel this is my only chance, of being slimmer and watching my son grow up.........

Just not sure what to expect, was talking to someone the other day and they said their friend had had it and found it really hard to move about and was really sore for about 5 weeks, that panics me.....

Any support or advice would be much appreciated.

Hi Mandy

I have my first appointment in two weeks time and counting down, I don't think my op will be as quick as yours though.

Good luck and keep in touch .

Wow, that was speedy!! Wishing you all the very best :vibes:

Thanks Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been writing a Journal of my thoughts and everything, will eventually turn into a blog I think....

hi mandy
i had gastric bypass 4wks ago, the only pain i had was the trapped wind straight after surgery, which went after 5 days, then i was slightly "bruised" feeling for a week.
the reason for the vitamins is the malabsorption involved in the op, you don't absorb the nutrients the same. i take a bassetts chewy multivit a day, a calci chew twice a day for the calcium. for the first month u take a stomach tab, i take zoton fast tab, twice a day then once a day for the next month then stop. u will need a vitamin b12 injection once every three months, and i take liquid iron twice a week, i've never felt healthier lol.
if u want to know n e more just ask.
alison

hi mandy
i had gastric bypass 4wks ago, the only pain i had was the trapped wind straight after surgery, which went after 5 days, then i was slightly "bruised" feeling for a week.
the reason for the vitamins is the malabsorption involved in the op, you don't absorb the nutrients the same. i take a bassetts chewy multivit a day, a calci chew twice a day for the calcium. for the first month u take a stomach tab, i take zoton fast tab, twice a day then once a day for the next month then stop. u will need a vitamin b12 injection once every three months, and i take liquid iron twice a week, i've never felt healthier lol.
if u want to know n e more just ask.
alison

Thanks Alison,

Do they tell you all about them after the surgery, and before i come home........ no one has mentioned taking anything......

Hi Mandy,

Well done you for being so positive about having the WLS! I've just opted for it too, and feel really positive about it. As you so rightly say, spend a day our size and then think surgery is drastic. I can't wait to be slim. Also like you I have tried every diet going without success. My friend went in for a Gastric Bypass in January and has lost over four and a half stone already. I so envy her and can't wait to hear back from my GP on 21st April to see if they have heard anything back yet about my referral.

With regards to the vitamins, I have heard that you need to take them afterwards, but I have started taking Boots multivitamins with iron already, to get my levels (especially iron which is very low for me) up to better levels in readiness for the op. I've had to have blood transfusions in the past because my iron levels were so low, and the last one went drastically wrong and I nearly died (nothing to do with WLS I hasten to add, just my 'orrible blood type). The GP and any other doctor I have seen have always nagged me about it - I've bought the tablets, started taking them then given up after a few days. This time, I am so positive about wanting to have this op done that it has really spurred me on and I've not forgotten to take one since I started. I want to be in the best position health wise as I can manage. I'm assuming that anything in the way of vitamins afterwards will have to be in liquid form or chewable (eww yuck!) Not looking forward to that.

Like you I have also suffered with recurrent severe depression. This time a few months ago I was seriously considering ending my life - down to having written goodbye letters to my loved ones. Now I feel so positive that I have made the right decision to have this surgery, and I am sure that you will feel the same. Yes there is a few uncomfortable bits, but I look at it in the way I saw having my children by casarean section. Being in labour, the pain was getting worse. Coping with a c-section the pain was getting better and that's how I consoled myself and it was fine. I was pre-occupied with the baby to notice and with the WLS I'm sure we will be pre-occupied with our weight loss and showing off to our friends and choosing a new wardrobe of clothes to worry about a little discomfort. If trapped wind is the worst it throws at us - crikey - it's worth it for a future of being slim I'd say!

Stick with it and if you want to stay in touch, feel free.

Hugs
Gerry
:)

HI Gerry

Thanks you have helped me alot, I am goign to go out and buy some vitiamins so that liek you say helps my body to heal!!!!

I have been there on many occasions with ending my life and have tried a fair few times too, I am seeing this as the first day of my life and new start, I have had laproscapy surgery a few times already and i must remeber to just go at my bodys pace and not push myslef like I usually do!!!!!

Yes would be great to be buddys- let me know if you I cna give you email and numbers....

Hugs

Back