• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

So Embarrassed

julieann

Well after getting a piece of pineapple stuck last week, i thought that i had become more aware of my eating, but no, i have suffered terribly tonight. After a fairly stressful day, my husband and i decided to go out for a bar snack tonight to save me cooking and for a safe choice i opted for salmon fishcakes with jacket potato and salad and he ordered steak and ale pie. When the waitress brought the food to the table i decided to try a piece of his pie and even though i chewed the meat really well it didnt seem to go down properly, so i sat for a minute hoping it would shift, but no, so in the end had to go to the toilet and make myself sick, i thought that i had got rid of it and started to eat my meal but i think that everything i ate just sat on top of what had got stuck. I think i must have gone to the loo five times in a space of 15 mins and each time i got up everyone was looking at me, which stressed me out even more. I think i managed to mouthfulls of fishcake which didnt stay down anyway and in the end my husband had to pay and get me home, leaving a full meal on the table and as i visit this pub fairly regularly with friends, i dont know if i dare show my face in there again. Not only that it has put me off eating out for a while. julie:sigh:

Oh hun, don't be so hard on yourself. People get sick all the time & I am sure that you felt more eyes than really noticed you. Something to remember for future is that once you have to bring up food, your stomach will be sensitive so you may want to stop eating for a bit. Also, do I remember correctly that you have a band? If so the restriction increases due to pouch swelling when you have been sick soon eating so after is troublesome.

It is all a learning curve for us wls peeps so try to chalk this up to experience and forget about it.

Nic;)

julie sorry to hear of yr experiance. when eating out i have got to admit i play safe and choose things that i know i can manage. I eithorer go for a starter as long as i have salad with my meat i find i can manage most meats but make sure i cut it into tiny pieces befor i start eating so that even if i failed to chew enough hoprfully it would go down.
as for the not showing yr face again. i wouldnt fret too much every one get taken unwell at some stage and i bet the next time you go in they will of either forgotten or say hope yr better.
Dont leave it too long before you try again you owe hubbie a meal!!!!
think he may be saying next ones on you.!!lol

Thanx nic, i just cant believe that it happened in public as i have always been so aware of what i am eating, simply because i never wanted to go through what i have done tonight, also i thought my eating habits would improve after having this band fitted (learning to eat slower) but obviously they havent, so i am now very very sore and tender. julie

julie sorry to hear of yr experiance. when eating out i have got to admit i play safe and choose things that i know i can manage. I eithorer go for a starter as long as i have salad with my meat i find i can manage most meats but make sure i cut it into tiny pieces befor i start eating so that even if i failed to chew enough hoprfully it would go down.
as for the not showing yr face again. i wouldnt fret too much every one get taken unwell at some stage and i bet the next time you go in they will of either forgotten or say hope yr better.
Dont leave it too long before you try again you owe hubbie a meal!!!!
think he may be saying next ones on you.!!lol
I think you are right, he will be looking for a free meal, he has been quite light hearted about the whole thing because he could see how embarrassed i was getting, but he is also worried that i may have the band too tight, but i dont think that this is the case as the band was tightened three weeks ago and i have managed the majority of meals without being sick.

Hi julieann, poor you - that sounds miserable! I can give you some good advice on this because for the first 6 months or so of having my band, I didn't follow the rules and ran into awful difficulties - particularly with being sick again and again.

What I've learnt in relation to this:
1) If I am sick, I have to stop eating - even if it's the first mouthful of my meal. If I keep going, I am irritating the tender stomach tissue and causing swelling which will make my problems much much worse. I actually try not to eat anything solid for a good couple of hours after being sick.
2) if I've been sick more than once or twice in a day, I need to do liquids or really runny mushies for a couple of days. Otherwise, I get really badly swollen - one time, this led to me having to be on liquids for six weeks because no solids would stay down!
3) If I get stressed/anxious/embarrassed/upset, my band gets reeeeeally tight - so if that happens, I need to give up on trying to eat and try to relax first.

You're with WLS group right? Me too. This is stuff that wendy has helped me learn... I can practically hear her drumming it into me now!! LOL

Hope you feel better soon... These bands are blimming hard work!!

Alice xx

So sorry to hear you had trouble but don't let it stop you enjoying time out in the future.;)

alice thats fab advice, i have nothing to add, couldnt of said it better myself !

liz xx

Hi julieann, poor you - that sounds miserable! I can give you some good advice on this because for the first 6 months or so of having my band, I didn't follow the rules and ran into awful difficulties - particularly with being sick again and again.

What I've learnt in relation to this:
1) If I am sick, I have to stop eating - even if it's the first mouthful of my meal. If I keep going, I am irritating the tender stomach tissue and causing swelling which will make my problems much much worse. I actually try not to eat anything solid for a good couple of hours after being sick.
2) if I've been sick more than once or twice in a day, I need to do liquids or really runny mushies for a couple of days. Otherwise, I get really badly swollen - one time, this led to me having to be on liquids for six weeks because no solids would stay down!
3) If I get stressed/anxious/embarrassed/upset, my band gets reeeeeally tight - so if that happens, I need to give up on trying to eat and try to relax first.

You're with WLS group right? Me too. This is stuff that wendy has helped me learn... I can practically hear her drumming it into me now!! LOL

Hope you feel better soon... These bands are blimming hard work!!

Alice xx

Thanks for the advice alice, on the whole i have had no problems at all with the band, but i know that i still eat too quickly. What i do find hard though, is that i am surprised at how hungry i still get and i think that that is why i end up eating too quickly, also when i dont have any problems i'm still not sure if i am eating too much.

Hi Julieann - I know what you mean. I have the same anxieties. Although I've had my band since July, I've never been at that point of perfect restriction that everyone talks about - I've had it defilled more often than filled! I think I'm getting close now - I have 4mls (the most I ever got to!) and am close to good restriction. I'm just going really slowly and holding off getting another small fill because I am terrified of running into the same probs I had last autumn. I think if that happened again, I would have to get the damn thing taken out! But, yes, trying to understand what quantities I should be eating is so so tricky. Of course, it varies depending on texture but also it just varies. I try to have boiled eggs for breakfast because I'm told they are a good band food and fill you up. Some days, I can eat 2 eggs no problem and then feel stuffed all morning, while other days, I am still hungry afterwards, or otherwise I am sick after the first one! What I am trying to do is teach myself that there are no rules. Instead, I have to respond to what my body is telling me, and if I get that pain or tight feeling, that is my body saying stop - even if it's just after a couple of mouthfuls. But that is so hard isn't it? Because there is still food on my plate and I want to eat it. It looks nice and tastes nice and I enjoy eating it. And the other thing I am battling at the moment is that I know which foods I can eat with no problem whatsoever - and they are all "bad" foods.

I had no idea a band was such hard work.... If I had fully understood it, I may have made a different decision last summer...

Hmmm sorry - this started as a supportive post and ended up as an "alice whinge"!!

xx

alice nice to see you back and glad to see yr band is behaving a little better for you. It must be so frustrating and i always feel you banders are very strong people to put yourself through the rigors of fills and de fills to try and find that right balance for you.
take care
carole

Hi Julieann - I know what you mean. I have the same anxieties. Although I've had my band since July, I've never been at that point of perfect restriction that everyone talks about - I've had it defilled more often than filled! I think I'm getting close now - I have 4mls (the most I ever got to!) and am close to good restriction. I'm just going really slowly and holding off getting another small fill because I am terrified of running into the same probs I had last autumn. I think if that happened again, I would have to get the damn thing taken out! But, yes, trying to understand what quantities I should be eating is so so tricky. Of course, it varies depending on texture but also it just varies. I try to have boiled eggs for breakfast because I'm told they are a good band food and fill you up. Some days, I can eat 2 eggs no problem and then feel stuffed all morning, while other days, I am still hungry afterwards, or otherwise I am sick after the first one! What I am trying to do is teach myself that there are no rules. Instead, I have to respond to what my body is telling me, and if I get that pain or tight feeling, that is my body saying stop - even if it's just after a couple of mouthfuls. But that is so hard isn't it? Because there is still food on my plate and I want to eat it. It looks nice and tastes nice and I enjoy eating it. And the other thing I am battling at the moment is that I know which foods I can eat with no problem whatsoever - and they are all "bad" foods.

I had no idea a band was such hard work.... If I had fully understood it, I may have made a different decision last summer...

Hmmm sorry - this started as a supportive post and ended up as an "alice whinge"!!

xx

I totally agree with you when you say the band can be hard work, as i, like you am struggling to know when to stop. But unlike you I rarely experience that full feeling and just work on willpower to control my portions. I have had a day back on liquids to let my stomach settle but feel quite poorly because i feel nauseous most of the time through hunger and trapped wind but i know the band still tight through swelling because i am struggling to burp, so feeling pretty down in the dumps at the moment. julie

Aww Julie I know how you feel. I've been there. Actually, I've been there more than I've been in a good band-place!! Why don't you give wendy a call on Monday and see what she advises.

Meantime, you can share my mantra: I want patience and I want it NOW! lol

((((hugs))))

Hi Julie, I really hope you are felling better today. As you said "the band is really hard work" but is it as hard as some of the diets you've tried???Maybe it is but at least you know this hard work is going to keep the weight from returning this time don't you!!!!!!!
Take care and fight the good fight with your band and you will get there. xxGaynor xx

Well i am back to normal today, thank god, i am still sticking to soft foods for a couple of days because my stomach is probably still swollen. Feeling like i did for the last couple of days really frightened me, so hoping that i learn my lesson from it and make sure that i slow down with my eating and chew chew chew !!!!! Thanks for all your support though as it really helps when you feel under the weather. julie

Back