• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

empty band

sunny69

hi all, my band is empty i am now on mush but feel i can eat just as much as before i am due my 1st fill on may 9th is this normal or should i feel at least some restriction
xx

Hello this is quite normal once the swelling and everything goes down , so try not too worry. xxx

hi blue diamond i am due to have my band on 22 april in belguim.only just found this site just wondering if you have any tips as you have done so well sorry if this is inapropriate but not really sure how to use this site thanks

@ Caz , Hello and welcome to the forum. The best advice I can give you or anybody else, is to follow the guidelines/rules that you are given and do not compare yourself with other banders because we all lose at different speed/rates etc and this can sometimes lead ppl to be disheartened. Any questions/queries/worries etc or anything feel free to ask any of us banders even though we are going through our own journies we are also here to support each other. Wishing you all the best for your forthcoming surgery . Julie x

Hi sunny how you doing? Haven't seen you about for a while. I had my op last Wednesday they gave me a 14 ml band and 1 ml in already. But what I don't understand is why they do it different with everyone ... Another bander had there's done at Dolan park and they gave 3ml straight away in a 10ml I really don't get it xxx

Hi fizzpot I'm doing fine had an infection in my port wound so am now on antibiotics but its healing up nice now, i do have an empty band and i do feel that i could eat just as much as before now the swelling has gone down but i am careful, i know my dr likes to leave the band empty for the swelling to go down all drs differ, can't wait to get a fill i just want some progress now.
How are you feeling xx

sunny69 said:
Hi fizzpot I'm doing fine had an infection in my port wound so am now on antibiotics but its healing up nice now, i do have an empty band and i do feel that i could eat just as much as before now the swelling has gone down but i am careful, i know my dr likes to leave the band empty for the swelling to go down all drs differ, can't wait to get a fill i just want some progress now.
How are you feeling xx

Oh no that sucks!! Glad your on the mend now! I'm on my liquid diet but I have ate a piece of soft pasta and a tiny piece if ham and felt fine can't wait till puréed stage ! When is your first fill ? Have you lost any weight so far ? I've lost a few 1lbs but it's not been a week yet xx

well i lost about 12lbs in the 1st 2 weeks when i went on mush i put a few lbs back on to tell you the truth i feel that i can now what what i want as i just feel like i did before i was banded so cant wait to get my 1st fill on the 9th of may in liverpool.
xx

How much mush are you eating?

My provider advised around 5 tablespoons (not heaped) 3 times a day. I couldnt manage anywhere near that much so broke it down into 4 to 5 meals.

5 tablespoons is around a ready meal size - can you eat more, or are you having more than 3 meals which would add up to more. How much did your provider advise you to have?

Sorry for all the questions lol xx

How much mush are you eating?

My provider advised around 5 tablespoons (not heaped) 3 times a day. I couldnt manage anywhere near that much so broke it down into 4 to 5 meals.

5 tablespoons is around a ready meal size - can you eat more, or are you having more than 3 meals which would add up to more. How much did your provider advise you to have?

Sorry for all the questions lol xx

well for breakfast i'll have 1 weetabix for lunch weight watchers meal and the same for tea i.e fishpie, hotpot etc, try and have a variety
but i do feel i can eat more but do stop myself just cant wait for that 1st band fill just hope they put more than 1ml in.
xx

well for breakfast i'll have 1 weetabix for lunch weight watchers meal and the same for tea i.e fishpie, hotpot etc, try and have a variety
but i do feel i can eat more but do stop myself just cant wait for that 1st band fill just hope they put more than 1ml in.
xx

2-4 weeks Post Gastric Band Surgery - Soft Food

You will now be ready to start a soft diet. Aim for the consistency of cottage pie/ well cooked cauliflower cheese/scrambled egg - foods easily broken with a fork – avoid all crunchy foods/potato skins and salads at this stage.

Breakfast ideas

Scrambled egg / omelette / polenta / poached eggs
Porridge with skimmed / semi skimmed milk
Weetabix with skimmed / semi skimmed milk
Thick fruit smoothies with a selection of fruits / banana / strawberries / summer fruits / mangoes blended with low fat Greek yoghurt or skimmed milk

Lunch and Dinner ideas

Lean minced meat and blended casserole
Fish pie and pureed vegetables
Shepherds pie / Cottage pie
Thick blended vegetable soups / mushroom soup
Soft pasta in tomato based sauce
Low fat cottage cheese
Mashed avocado and 1 soft boiled egg
Soft poached salmon with mashed potatoes
Cauliflower cheese with fish and parsley sauce
Pureed vegetables with meals
Fish in parsley sauce with mushy peas
Mashed or pureed tofu / soya / quorn with vegetarian gravy / stock and mashed potatoes and pureed vegetables.
Well cooked lentils or dahl

Desserts

Pureed / stewed fruit with low fat custard
Mashed banana and low fat custard
Low fat / sugar yoghurt
Low fat / sugar mousse
Sugar free jelly / Low sugar sorbets
Low fat crème caramel / Angel delight / Blancmange
Low fat semolina / Fat free sponge soaked in fruit juice
Serve on a tea plate, drink plenty of fluids throughout the day. ONLY EVER drink fluids before your meal, not with your meal, allow at least 1 hour after a meal.
Always ensure a good protein portion at each meal- as a guide this should be the size of the palm of your hand.

4 weeks Post Gasrtic Band Surgery and Onwards

Once you have reached this stage you will be able to resume ‘normal eating’ i.e. all textures of food. You will have been seen by the dietician or will have been sent an appointment to be seen in the near future. You will then be followed up by the dietician on a regular basis who will monitor your progress, help, support and guide you towards eating a healthier diet for life.

You could try eggs for breakfast, if you can tolerate them they will fill you for longer.

Another suggestion is upping your fluids - after you have eaten or before of course. Sometimes thirst can present as hunger x

Back