• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band Playing Up?

flutterby1966

Can someone please give me the benefit of their experience.

I was banded on 16 July and all has been going well generally until last weekend when suddenly my appetite seemed to increase massively. Yesterday I fell of the wagon and as well as my meals, I managed to eat 2 bags of crisps, 2 biscuits and 6 cake bites (this is not normal for me). Over 2000 calories - and I felt no restriction whatsoever, so much so I thought my band may have sprung a leak. Today is a totally different story. Only 700 calories and I felt restriction at lunchtime with just two ryvitas and an egg (almost PBd); and at dinner this evening I only had 2.75 ounces of chicken and 4 ounces of sweetcorn/peas - and I really struggled to eat that. All things that have not presented any problems before.

Is it normal to go from wanting/managing to eat so much, to go to so little? I am due for my 2nd fill on Friday and I am totally confused ...

Can someone please give me the benefit of their experience.

YES ! I CAN IVE HAD 2 OF THEM IM MY TIME BANDS THAT IS !

I was banded on 16 July and all has been going well generally until last weekend when suddenly my appetite seemed to increase massively.
Needing a slightly bigger portion is ok, thats normal.
Yesterday I fell of the wagon and as well as my meals, I managed to eat 2 bags of crisps, 2 biscuits and 6 cake bites (this is not normal for me). Over 2000 calories - and I felt no restriction whatsoever, so much so I thought my band may have sprung a leak.
u obviously havent researched banding correctly as these are all slider NO NO FOODS regarding having a band and everyone of the above foods slides through a band :mad: your NOT working with the band rules eating that crap :mad: so no wonder u dont have restriction ! soz but i say it how i see it/read it !

Today is a totally different story. Only 700 calories and I felt restriction at lunchtime with just two ryvitas and an egg (almost PBd); and at dinner this evening I only had 2.75 ounces of chicken and 4 ounces of sweetcorn/peas - and I really struggled to eat that. All things that have not presented any problems before.

seems like u relying on sliders the above choices are dryer so less can be eaten and thast how bands work sorry if this is not what u wanted to hear but u need to learn about food choices and learning to work with the correct band food choices.

Is it normal to go from wanting/managing to eat so much, to go to so little?
that transition has come in because of going from bad food choices to good ones with a band, the good ones means u can eat only a few mouthfulls.

I am due for my 2nd fill on Friday and I am totally confused ...

i dont think your ready for a 2nd fill as u cant deal the 1st.

sorry to be harsh but good luck with what ever u decide to do.

Liz x

Thanks Liz

I totally understand everything you say and agree about 'crap foods'. I do think I am aware of the difference between slider foods and good band foods though. And normally I eat dry foods. It was just strange for me to 'want' to eat so much of the wrong foods even when I had eaten all my dry foods. And as I said, normally my dry food portions are pretty decent sized - so I didnt think that I would have felt ravenous like I did a couple of days ago...thats what made me think something had gone wrong.

I keep a food diary even now which I will show to the dietician on Friday. I am concious of my calorie intake which is normally between 1000 and 1200 a day and protein levels which are around 50-70g per day. A typical days menu would be more than a few mouthfuls though:

3 ryvitas and marmite and hard boiled egg or 20g whole earth peanut butter
1/2 apple or crudites
carrot/celery/cucumber/lettuce/beetroot and c. 3-4oz protein such as egg/chicken/tuna (no dressing)
1/2 apple or a banana
5oz chicken breast and al-dente vegetables

To me, the above food choices look OK, but maybe the dietician/you will tell me otherwise :confused: It will be the first time I have actually seen her or she has seen my diary. Last time we talked over the phone.

Hi, I don't think you are eating enough. For a 5ft 8" woman you should be eating more calories than 1000-1200 a day. If you restrict yourself too much than you are more likely to fall of the wagon and binge.
I totally agree with Liz, all the foods that you ate when you were being naughty were foods that slip through the band really easily, and then when you got back to normal, the foods you ate were band friendly.
I know everyone is different, but for me, i still try to eat 'normal foods' and not 'diet food'. If I feel like I'm being deprived of eating what everyone else is having then I'm more likely to slip. This is for life and you can't spend the rest of your life eating salad and raw veg every day!
You are doing really brilliantly, you have only been banded since July and have lost 39lbs, so you must be doing something right.
I'm not judging btw, I still struggle everyday with making the right desisions, the whole mental battle with the band is the hardest bit, and changing habits of a lifetime is sooo hard. But...we are all getting there! xxx

I totally agree with Liz 100% as well, one thing I would like to add/ask - Was you given a post op diet sheet or given advice by your providers dietician as to the amounts and things you should be eating??? Also how are you doing on the fluid intake??? that is as equally as important as the food intake. All the best Julie xx

Thanks for the comments/advice below.

Yes, I have been following the guidance of my provider around the post-op diet (apart from 3 blips in 3months - which I am not going to beat myself up over). When the dietician / nurse looked at my food tracker today she said, apart from my 3 blips, what I was eating was perfectly good band food and I was choosing the right type/portion sizes of food. She said there was very little slider food in my choices too, which is reassuring for me.

To be honest, most of the time before I had the band, I ate healthy food similar to what I am eating now (just far far too much of it). The only thing I have really changed is that I am not grazing and not eating bread. And I am not missing it at all. Not even tempted because I had a tiny bite about three weeks ago and nearly choked on it.

So no longer confused. Reassured, and motivated to loose my next half stone :greenapple:

Thats brill FB. You really seem to have your head in the right place. What an inspiration! You can read and research a new skill as much as you like but you can't teach experience and we'll only get experience with time :)
Blips are blips...they're not the norm. I was saying to my sister tonight that I have lost that anxiety surrounding food. I'm enjoying it so much more because I've found the control and it has become a pleasure now instead of an enemy. She is quite jealous!! Its so liberating having that control back.
Have a nice weekend xx

Back