• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Maureen lady 2 weeks post op

Ajac

Hi all, just wandering I had my gastric band op 2 weeks ago and followed diet to the book , no problems, recovered well, but two days ago I find I am getting hungry and my portions are beginning to be as before?.? I believe there is no saline in my band when I was banded,I am due for my first fill first week December... How many mils usually on first empty band fill? Should i be feeling any restriction by now .Thx

Hi Maureen ;)

It can take several fills before you reach restriction, but your provider should have explained all that to you.

At the moment you will have little or no restriction, you are just healing.

The amount you get in each fill is different for each person and depends on all sorts of things, including whether you have a small or large band fitted.

For me, I have a small (10ml) band, and was told it was empty after surgery.

However when I went for my first fill, it actually had 1.8ml in it. The nurse added 3ml, but it's not made a vast difference. My second fill is later this month.

Hello and welcome!

It is perfectly normal for hunger to return as you heal. I am currently at 6.5ml in a 14ml band after two fills, and that's made no appreciable difference to my hunger. I go for fill #3 on Wednesday and I'm hoping that either this fill or the next will have an impact.
Going into this I knew it would take months to get to restriction, so I was expecting hunger at this point. It takes a while to get to the right spot with your band!

Hello and welcome. Its different for each bander, so try not to compare. Just go with the flow and try to make wise food choices now rather than wait for the band to kick in... Best of luck with your journey x

Welcome :)

How you are feeling is completely normal and common. Your body is healing and the swelling from surgery going down, and it is normal that the feelings of hunger will return, especially if you did not have anything put into the band at the time it was placed.

This is the time to be making good positive choices in terms of how and what you eat, if you're 2 weeks post op you are probably on puree/mash? If so, even at this time, focus on protein it will help keep you fuller for longer.

But also be aware that it can take considerable time and fills to get a level of restriction, this varies from person to person. For some it will take only one or two fills, for others it can take much longer.

I've had 9 fills over 14 months. My first 8 fills made no difference what so ever, but my 9th then took me to being overrestricted so I've now had a defill due to the issues it caused and am now having to build back up again to find restriction where its not too much.

It is a bit of a journey, but along the way, when you get to your fills and onto "normal" foods, this is the time to make positive choices, eating band friendly foods. :) In the meantime, lots of willpower because although you can eat it and can manage large portions, does not mean that you should. Be aware that if you do consume larger portions than you've been advised that it can do longer term damage too including stretching the pouch or causing slippage.

Hiya maureen lols,

As everyone has said i guess its a sign that your healing! Try your best to keep your portion size under control and fill up on pureed meals like cauliflower cheese is a good one as its a good source of protein, cottage pie, or like a light choices lasagne. Try the fage 0% greek yoghurt for snacking, high in protein and lovely too! If you need a sweet treat try pureed apples with a smidge of custard! x xx Your probably experiencing head hunger too that feeling like you should be eating more, its a hard habit to break. Maybe have a drink instead of eating when u feel you may be about to overeat? x

The fill saga is always open to interpretation...everyone is a little different
Im 5 weeks post op and going for first fill on the 12th Nov...I don't know why Im all excited as I know that its usually 3/4 fills in before you find restriction

Some like TK never felt restriction until her 9th fill, I for one admire her as she has lost a truck load of weight by sheer will power!!!

Both my daughters have bands and their fills kicked in at about the 4th fill..so as my younger daughter told me today, like many others have to be brave and learn that we take baby steps and be thankful for the willpower we find within to help us achieve our goals

I hope that you will take each step as it comes and remember we are all here to help and support you :553:

aww thats a lovely post val! love the profile pic btw!

Thank you sweetpea...I try to help, as so many have helped me along the way

Thank you for the nice comment I make graphics and was just looking through for something seasonal :)

Back