• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Empty nest

ravelling

Grateful bypasser
I’m trying to maintain a stiff upper lip here, but it keeps slipping.

My only child, my 19 year old son has gone off to university today. My husband and I drove him to the other side of our (rather narrow, admittedly) country this morning. So he’s two and a half hours away now.

I knew it would be hard, but I do feel really empty and sad at the moment. I also know it will pass, but it’s so difficult now.

My sister had the same experience with my niece who has gone off to London to study. I thought she would enjoy having the house to herself and her hubby but she says she keeps bursting into tears and misses her. Made me cry when she said that.

tranquil

Hi Gill,

I totally understand... it's such a wrench... my son moved out and down to Cardiff... I have felt devastated but it has to be since he needs to further his education and carve out his future..

I had a good cry yesterday as he pulled out of the driveway and I was trying to not let him see me, then he came back he had forgotten something and I was sobbing my heart out...

They need to spread their wings and I always say that if there is a problem, let me know first, there is always something we can do to work through a problem...

Loving hugs to you Gill, from one Mum to another!

xxx

Oh Gill, I have this to face next year with my eldest son, and I'm dreading it. I've seen other people go through it though, so I know it does get better. But it must feel like such a wrench for you.
Sending the hugest hugs you way.

I’m trying to maintain a stiff upper lip here, but it keeps slipping.

My only child, my 19 year old son has gone off to university today. My husband and I drove him to the other side of our (rather narrow, admittedly) country this morning. So he’s two and a half hours away now.

I knew it would be hard, but I do feel really empty and sad at the moment. I also know it will pass, but it’s so difficult now.

Oh Gill it's so hard isn't it? My son and his partner are moving out in 2 weeks and and he's 28! I am just getting my head around it. I have been so tearful and depressed since May when he told me but it has got easier. Your son is a lot younger and I can totally relate to the empty nest syndrome you will surely experience now he has moved.
I was crying to my sister a couple of weeks ago and she said to me ' You will miss 'em like hell initially BUT after a few weeks you realise the little bit of peace and less work is nice as you move on in life'.

He will be back before you know it half term with his huge sack of washing for his mom to do. They always need us Gill and you are his one and only mum!!!!! Take care

Linski xxx

Thanks for all the support!

I'm feeling a bit better this morning :)

I rang him last night and he was feeling a bit lost, too, but we know it will take a bit of adjusting to.

Thanks for all the support!

I'm feeling a bit better this morning :)

I rang him last night and he was feeling a bit lost, too, but we know it will take a bit of adjusting to.

My niece was feeling a bit lost initially but she seems to have now adjusted and is enjoying it. After reading your post yesterday it made me think. I have two sisters and one brother and we have managed one child between us so we have all been her parents for most of her life. My sister brought her up on her own and it was hard for her but we all chipped in and no doubt will continue to do so as she continues her studies. It seems really odd to know she is not around and is 100 miles plus away and living her own life. I can remember when she was born. I was there as my sister was on her own and I got to hold her first as my sister was poorly after giving birth. I feel terrible I got to cuddle her first but it was such a beautiful moment and one I will always remember as I was never able to have children myself.

I hope things feel better as time goes on and as Linski said he will be back with his washing soon enough!

tranquil

Glad you are feeling better Gill.

It's so hard letting our chicks fly... I do a list of things for my lad to take back to college and I bet he doesn't use half of the things I send, but it makes me feel better...

He'll soon get settled and bring some good results home too...

Love and hugs xxx

massive hugs to you all xx

If you ever need some company your welcome to have my 3 on a regular basis, Im sur eyour be counting down the days to send them back :D

Get the girls round and hava pampering evenning xx

Awww Em, if I lived nearer I would love that, I'm right over on the other side of the country amongst the Snowdonia mountains, but it would have been my pleasure...

Love and hugs to you all xxx

Oh WOW i bet your area is lovely, Do you see the mountians from your place?

Do you have a spare room or two :D

XxX

Back